Marc Heusser

Default How to make a voice/person unrecognizeable?

I need to play voice recordings so one can understand everything
including how it was said, but one should not be able to recognize the
voice (person).
What is the best way to do that - staring with an digital recording,
using Amadeus II on a Mac? or which filters etc would do that?

TIA

Marc

--
Marc Heusser
(remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)
Ben Bradley

In comp.sys.mac.apps and rec.audio.pro, On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:06:27
+0100, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:

I need to play voice recordings so one can understand everything
including how it was said, but one should not be able to recognize the
voice (person).

What I've always heard on TV sounds like going through a balanced
modulator/single sideband modulation to add and/or subtract a constant
to the frequencies, but if I were the one doing the talking, I'd worry
that this (or other processing) could be undone and my voice be made
recognizable.
Even one's speaking habits such as uh's, ah's and pauses will come
through, which may be unique and recognizable. The best way around
this is to do a transcript, record someone else reading it, then
process THAT voice (misleading listeners to think it's the original
voice). Be sure to reword any unusual or unique word combinations.

What is the best way to do that - staring with an digital recording,
using Amadeus II on a Mac? or which filters etc would do that?

A vocoder would flat-out remove the original pitch information
(hmm, so would Autotune), which may help. Another disguising technique
is low-cut EQ, then hard clipping, then high cut. Do you have a guitar
amp simulator?

TIA

Marc

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
matt neuburg

Marc Heusser alid
wrote:

I need to play voice recordings so one can understand everything
including how it was said, but one should not be able to recognize the
voice (person).

You want a vocoder. mda Vocoder is already on your machine, probably
(esp if you have Amadeus). Zerius provides more interesting
possibilities, though! Hum into your computer to provide a "carrier",
run the voice through it ("modulator"), and it is very, very disguised.
m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = , http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
AppleScript: The Definitive Guide
Martin

I need to play voice recordings so one can understand everything
including how it was said, but one should not be able to recognize

the
voice (person).
What is the best way to do that - staring with an digital recording,
using Amadeus II on a Mac? or which filters etc would do that?

You can easily turn a woman voice into a man's voice and vice-versa,
which
would make it quite unrecognisable. Just use the "Change Pitch and
speed"
function to decrease (resp. increase) the pitch by about half an octave
(that's 3
tones). HTH

Martin

Max Arwood

Want to really change a voice try Antares Kantos! Voices have never been
changed more drastically than by this piece of software.
Max Arwood

"Marc Heusser" alid wrote
in message ...
I need to play voice recordings so one can understand everything
including how it was said, but one should not be able to recognize the
voice (person).
What is the best way to do that - staring with an digital recording,
using Amadeus II on a Mac? or which filters etc would do that?

TIA

Marc

--
Marc Heusser
(remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)

Charles Krug

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:04:55 -0500, Sugarite wrote:
I need to play voice recordings so one can understand everything
including how it was said, but one should not be able to recognize the
voice (person).

What's the budget of the person you're trying to fool?

If you're talking about the needs of a theatre production, you want a
"flavor" rather than true obfuscation. In the original "Little Shop of
Horrors" cast, "A Voice, Not Unlike God" played about six different
roles, including some drag. His voice was "disguised" but he wasn't
fooling anyone who really listened.

If you're doing a practical joke (or committing a crime) it has to
obfuscate within the fairly narrow bandwidth of a telecom channel
(4kHz).

Finally, if you're trying to fool the people who in the US are called
"Three-letter agencies" I suggest you find an easier line of work.