OldBluesman

Default Got Three Mics for Drums

I have 3 SM58's. I want to use them to record drums. Whats the best
configuration for using 3 mics?

"Don't gimme' no grass and call it greens"
OldBluesman
Raymond

Old bluesman wrote
I have 3 SM58's. I want to use them to record drums. Whats the best
configuration for using 3 mics?

Use SM57's
Ty Ford

On Wed, 5 May 2004 12:28:16 -0400, OldBluesman wrote
(in message ):

I have 3 SM58's. I want to use them to record drums. Whats the best
configuration for using 3 mics?

"Don't gimme' no grass and call it greens"
OldBluesman

Two as overheads and toss one in the kick.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

Go to Mercenary Audio's page, and find Fletcher's article on micing
with 2 or 3 drum mics. He presents several options.

On 05 May 2004 16:28:16 GMT, (OldBluesman) wrote:

I have 3 SM58's. I want to use them to record drums. Whats the best
configuration for using 3 mics?

"Don't gimme' no grass and call it greens"
OldBluesman

Willie K. Yee, M.D.
http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Scott Dorsey

OldBluesman wrote:
I have 3 SM58's. I want to use them to record drums. Whats the best
configuration for using 3 mics?

You have ANY condenser mikes at all? Any SM57s?

The 58 is not really all that useful for drum miking. It doesn't sound
so good as a kick mike. It doesn't have enough top end for spotting snares
and toms, unless you take the cover off in which case it gets wrecked the
first time a drumstick touches it. And it's not useful for overheads.

Even one of those $35 Behringer omnis is going to be a big step up.

ScotFraser

Two as overheads and toss one in the kick.

I would have done kick, snare & overhead, but it certainly depends on the type
of music.

Scott Fraser
WillStG

(Raymond)
Use SM57's

If he keeps them out of "bash" range, he could just take the pop filters
off the SM58's...

If Old Bluesman has 4 mics, Dan Alexander says this is the "Glyn Johns"
methodology...

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/glynjohns.htm

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

xy

sell two of them. put the money towards a pair of oktava mk-012's for
overheads. then figure out what do do with the bass drum (i'm
guessing you'll want to keep a 58 around for random purposes). if
not, sell the third, and put that toward a bass drum mic.

three mics is typically pair of overheads plus a kick drum mic. but
the overheads need to be sensitive and have enough "reach". a 58
isn't meant to pickup beyond about 10-12 inches. it's the classic
"eat the mic" mic.
EggHd

I would have done kick, snare & overhead, but it certainly depends on the
type
of music.

Me too. Add that most likely he is not in a good sounding room and closer may
be better. But I'm guessing.

EggHd

Forget stereo. Forget "detail." Go for the rhythm and
hope the drummer can play.

Good advice. get the vibe and make it work for you.