Mike

Default Genius OR idiot? Acoustics

I know this may sound dumb but would canvas punching bags work as bass
traps? They are not filled with corning 70X but they gotta be better
than the foam crap you buy for $50.

Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
about $75.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Angelo Campanella

Mike wrote:
Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
about $75.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah; bags full of garbage. Also, empty cardboard boxes, empty file
cabinets, junk automobiles... the list is endless. All you need is a
volume encloded by a frail semiresilent enclosure.

Ang. C.

hank alrich

Angelo Campanella wrote:

Mike wrote:
Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
about $75.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah; bags full of garbage. Also, empty cardboard boxes, empty file
cabinets, junk automobiles... the list is endless. All you need is a
volume encloded by a frail semiresilent enclosure.

Right, so add some chickens to the junk cars and you have breakfast,
dinner, and better absorption.

Also, consider just keeping all your old girlfriends (or boyfriends) and
have them stand around in absorptive and diffusive postures.

Do this right and you won't need coffee table books and that kind of
stuff.

--
ha

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Angelo Campanella wrote:

Mike wrote:
Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
about $75.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah; bags full of garbage. Also, empty cardboard boxes, empty

file
cabinets, junk automobiles... the list is endless. All you need is a
volume encloded by a frail semiresilent enclosure.

Right, so add some chickens to the junk cars and you have breakfast,
dinner, and better absorption.

Does this tie into the Corvette thread somehow?
--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock

Kurt Albershardt

hank alrich wrote:

consider just keeping all your old girlfriends (or boyfriends) and
have them stand around in absorptive and diffusive postures.

Anybody know where the good A&D clubs are?

Kurt Albershardt

hank alrich wrote:

consider just keeping all your old girlfriends (or boyfriends) and
have them stand around in absorptive and diffusive postures.

Anybody know where the good A&D clubs are?

agent86

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

consider just keeping all your old girlfriends (or boyfriends) and
have them stand around in absorptive and diffusive postures.

Anybody know where the good A&D clubs are?

A&D? absorptive and diffusive ???

agent86

Mike wrote:

I know this may sound dumb but would canvas punching bags work as bass
traps? They are not filled with corning 70X but they gotta be better
than the foam crap you buy for $50.

Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
about $75.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hell, at least hang 70 b bags. Ten you can get a real work-out between
takes.

But then you have to contend with some (non-contender) bass player who
decides to take a few punches (without wraps or gloves) and ends up with a
wrist injury & cant play for a week. (How did you guess my home studio is
right nexrt to my home gym?)

hank alrich

agent86 wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

consider just keeping all your old girlfriends (or boyfriends) and
have them stand around in absorptive and diffusive postures.

Anybody know where the good A&D clubs are?

A&D? absorptive and diffusive ???

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Polycylindricality is what it
is, nothing more or less.

--
ha

hank alrich

agent86 wrote:

Mike wrote:

I know this may sound dumb but would canvas punching bags work as bass
traps? They are not filled with corning 70X but they gotta be better
than the foam crap you buy for $50.

Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
about $75.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hell, at least hang 70 b bags. Ten you can get a real work-out between
takes.

But then you have to contend with some (non-contender) bass player who
decides to take a few punches (without wraps or gloves) and ends up with a
wrist injury & cant play for a week. (How did you guess my home studio is
right nexrt to my home gym?)

At least you know where to send them when they're want more punch.

--
ha

Tim Perry

Angelo Campanella wrote:

Mike wrote:
Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
about $75.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah; bags full of garbage. Also, empty cardboard boxes, empty

file
cabinets, junk automobiles... the list is endless. All you need is a
volume encloded by a frail semiresilent enclosure.

Right, so add some chickens to the junk cars and you have breakfast,
dinner, and better absorption.

Does this tie into the Corvette thread somehow?
--

i don't want to squawk, but as jo anne worley would say: is this another
chicken joke?

Mike

Angelo:
Not sure what you mean by semi resilient... My understanding is that
you are trying to put enough mass into the corner so that air is
unable to move right?

Agent:
Why not just hang bass players in the corner? hahahaha

John_LeBlanc

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Polycylindricality
is what it is, nothing more or less.

This thread is giving me sinusoidalitus.

John

Mike

I would think the canvas would not have near the sound absortion
qualities of foam. Maybe if you were to cut slits down the bag would
help, (assuming the stuffing doesn't fall right out). And for added
effect you could swing the bag while recording and really move some
air!

Songster:
Oh its just a canvas rapping around foam. I think its breathable
too... So aside from the yeah sure you can do it. Anyone think its a
good idea? The major problem would be to figure out how to hang the
bag inches from the corner. I dont think there is any beams there...

amnesiac jimmy

All you ever needed to know is on here..

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

scroll down to ethan winer's acoustic forum...it is most excellent and
i aint on commission..

hth

dave

FrediFizzx

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
| I know this may sound dumb but would canvas punching bags work as bass
| traps? They are not filled with corning 70X but they gotta be better
| than the foam crap you buy for $50.
|
| Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
| studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
| diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
| about $75.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts?

Probably not very effective but might help a little bit. Low frequencies
are "trapped" by absorbing them and converting them to heat.

FrediFizzx

FrediFizzx

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
| I know this may sound dumb but would canvas punching bags work as bass
| traps? They are not filled with corning 70X but they gotta be better
| than the foam crap you buy for $50.
|
| Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
| studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
| diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
| about $75.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts?

Probably not very effective but might help a little bit. Low frequencies
are "trapped" by absorbing them and converting them to heat.

FrediFizzx

FrediFizzx

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
| I know this may sound dumb but would canvas punching bags work as bass
| traps? They are not filled with corning 70X but they gotta be better
| than the foam crap you buy for $50.
|
| Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
| studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
| diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
| about $75.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts?

Probably not very effective but might help a little bit. Low frequencies
are "trapped" by absorbing them and converting them to heat.

FrediFizzx

**bg**

"FrediFizzx" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
om...
| I know this may sound dumb but would canvas punching bags work as bass
| traps? They are not filled with corning 70X but they gotta be better
| than the foam crap you buy for $50.
|
| Besides, being a boxing fan I think it would look really cool in my
| studio. Everlast sells 40lb(Not to heavy to hang I dont think) 14"
| diameter(Rather Large compared to tubes) 30" long canvas bags for
| about $75.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts?

Probably not very effective but might help a little bit. Low frequencies
are "trapped" by absorbing them and converting them to heat.

FrediFizzx
_____________________

Hey Mike,

Non parallel walls, floors and ceilings; things like you refer to,
furniture, anything to break up a (long) wave's ability to reflect and wolf
and bounce and stand around will help diminish low frequencies.

Check out www.musicbooksplus.com

-bg-

--
www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca