Jonny Durango

Default DIY LS3/5A's

I cannot afford to buy a pair of real, or even "knockoff" LS3/5A's, so I've
decided to utilize the vast amounts of information and documentation on the
internet regarding how to build your own pair (mainly from www.ls35a.com). I
am an amateur guitarbuilder so construction should be no problem.

My question, I have a pair of 8 ohm KEF B110's (sp1003) and a matching pair
of KEF 8 ohm T27's (sp1032) pulled from a pair of 80's Fried Model B
monitors. I cannot find any useful info about this specific model and I need
to decide on what type of crossover to use. As I understand there was a
different crossover used after 1987 when manufacturing switched to KEF.
Should I use one of the newer crossovers, or the older pre-87 crossovers for
these speakers or does it even matter? btw, I cannot afford the cicable
external crossover (at £600)....all help is GREATLY appreciated. Thankyou!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

Jonny Durango

My question, I have a pair of 8 ohm KEF B110's (sp1003) and a matching
pair
of KEF 8 ohm T27's (sp1032) pulled from a pair of 80's Fried Model B
monitors.

If I remember correctly, the Fried Model B used a B110 SP1057 and a

Dynaudio
D21.

actually I think you're right....the seller said they were removed from a
pair of 1980's Fried monitors but it couldn't be the model B's

I cannot find any useful info about this specific model and I need
to decide on what type of crossover to use.

Contact Falcon in the UK, they used to build xovers for various BBC
licensees, still have all circuit boards, components and schematics.

Here's their current price list for relevant xovers:

"100. LS3/5

Type Ferrite and polyester version with tapped HF inductor for original
units, B110-A6362 & B110-A6340. With cabinet construction details.
BBC type FL6/16. PCB7 £28.00

101. LS3/5A
Type To New spec for new units. I.D./Ferrite/AC and Solen Polypropylene
caps. Resistor ladder attenuation for tweeter attenuation. Suggested

layout
included. Components only (2 LS) £63.00

101T LS3/5A
Type As 101 but with tapped HF inductor and matching tap capacitors.
Components only (2 LS) £70.00

102 LS3/5A
Type FL6/23 (B110 SP1003/T27 SP1032) I.D Inductors and Polypropylene

Caps.
Tapped HF auto-transformer type I.D. Inductor and matching caps.

Components
only (2 LS) P.O.A.

http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/

More info is available in the "LS3/5-LS3/5A" section at the bottom of
http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/hintstipsgeneral.htm

This is VERY HELPFUL....thanks a ton, I check out their site and found tons
of crossovers for reasonable prices!

As I understand there was a
different crossover used after 1987 when manufacturing switched to KEF.

Manufacturing didn't switch to Kef. The Beeb redeigned the LS3/5A using
update components and simplifying the xover.

Should I use one of the newer crossovers, or the older pre-87 crossovers

for
these speakers or does it even matter?

It does matter... Just check the exact drivers you've got and get the

right
xover for them.

I did some more research and it appears they are from the KEF Constructor
series (CS1)...I don't know why the seller said they were from a pair of
Fried's....mybe they were modified Frieds? (modiFrieds, hehe)....they came
with templates and brochures and manuals and different crossover
reccomendations for different speakers. They recommend an sp1017 type
crossover for a b110/t27 combo, so I can only assume that if these papers
originally came with these speakers, then I should use a 1017 crossover.
This may have solved the problem, although if you have any more suggestions
I'm all ears! Thanks!!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:20:30 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
wrote:

[...]

Jonny Durango

They recommend an sp1017 type
crossover for a b110/t27 combo

Nope, only if you've got a CS1A. The SP1017, originally used in the Kef
Cresta, is designed for the B110A SP1003.

First of all I'd like to say THANKYOU very much for all the help you've
offered. I'm amazed at how much you know about these speakers and very
frateful for the advice! Anyway, I've definately got a pair of B110A
(sp1003) and T27 (sp1032)....here's the crossovers that falcon acoustics
lists for this combo:

3.
B110A/T27A (equiv.to DN13 SP1017 used in KEF Cresta II)
(PCB2)
£13.50

23.
LS3/5A type crossover.
B110A/T27A Complete network, similar in all essential details to the LS3/5A
but with ferrite inductors and resistive HF attenuation. Complete with
recommended cabinet drawings.
(PCB7)
£26.00

23aB.
LS3/5A type crossover. Speaker Builder 4/81.
As 23 but with KEF aB tweeter section.
(PCB7)
£29.00

23T.
LS3/5A type crossover.
See also No.102
B110A/T27A Complete network, similar in all essential details to the LS3/5A
but with ferrite inductors and tapped HF ferrite inductor and matching set
of HF capacitors. Complete with recommended cabinet drawings.
(PCB7)
£29.50

I have no idea what an "aB tweeter section" is, but someone else mentioned
I'd need a multitap inductor (also have no idea what that is), which seems
to be included in the last one listed (23T). Well, obviously you know a
million times more about this stuff that I do, so what do you reccomend?

More info :
http://www.allansonline.com/Anatomy/...rossovers.html

Thanks a million man! I really do appreciate the help here. As you can see
I'm pretty clueless about speakers so this really helps me a lot! Cheers!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 03:50:15 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
wrote:

the seller said they were removed from a
pair of 1980's Fried monitors but it couldn't be the model B's

I don't remember any model using T27's. Bud Fried either fitted Hiquphon

or
Dynaudio tweeters.

I did some more research and it appears they are from the KEF Constructor
series (CS1)...

If the reference is CS1, you've got a B110B SP1057 and a T27A SP1032.

If the reference is CS1A (note the "A"), you've got a B110A SP1003 and a
T27A SP1032.

They recommend an sp1017 type
crossover for a b110/t27 combo

Nope, only if you've got a CS1A. The SP1017, originally used in the Kef
Cresta, is designed for the B110A SP1003.

The B110B SP1057 shows quite a different response in the midrange and

should
be filtered accordingly.

Anyway, you should use a CS1(A) xover, available from Falcon Acoustics.

More info :
http://www.allansonline.com/Anatomy/...rossovers.html

TonyP

"Jonny Durango" wrote in message
I did some more research and it appears they are from the KEF Constructor
series (CS1)...I don't know why the seller said they were from a pair of
Fried's....mybe they were modified Frieds? (modiFrieds, hehe)....they came
with templates and brochures and manuals and different crossover
reccomendations for different speakers. They recommend an sp1017 type
crossover for a b110/t27 combo, so I can only assume that if these papers
originally came with these speakers, then I should use a 1017 crossover.
This may have solved the problem, although if you have any more

suggestions
I'm all ears! Thanks!!

I can't help but wonder how you came by a CS1 set without the crossovers. I
would see if you can get the original crossovers from where you got the
drivers, before spending large amounts on new crossovers for old drivers.

TonyP.

Jonny Durango

I can't help but wonder how you came by a CS1 set without the crossovers.

I wondered the same thing myself. I thught maybe the original Fried monitors
they were pulled from were, well, fried (ie. blown crossover). I really
don't know.

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

"TonyP" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Jonny Durango

23T.
LS3/5A type crossover.
See also No.102
B110A/T27A Complete network, similar in all essential details to the

LS3/5A
but with ferrite inductors and tapped HF ferrite inductor and matching

set
of HF capacitors. Complete with recommended cabinet drawings.
(PCB7)
£29.50

The real McCoy, Falcon style. The only option if you want to build a clone
as close as possible to the real thing - you will also have to use the

right
cabinet materials, damping elements and so on.

Awesome, this is the one I'll use then. Building the cabinet and damping
materials should be no problem. I'm an amateur guitar builder, so this
should be a very simple project relatively. Also, ls35a.com provides tons of
DIY drawings, datasheets, pictures and discussions about how to build
LS3/5A's specifically.

One more question, this is the last one, I promise! =) The description says
"tapped HF ferrite inductor and matching set of HF capacitors." Does this
mean the inductor is already tuned to the HF capacitors, or do I need to
tune it to the drivers themselves somehow? Thanks a million!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:37:53 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
wrote:

Anyway, I've definately got a pair of B110A
(sp1003) and T27 (sp1032)....

OK, then you can build an LS3/5A clone.
:-)

here's the crossovers that falcon acoustics
lists for this combo:

3.
B110A/T27A (equiv.to DN13 SP1017 used in KEF Cresta II)
(PCB2)
£13.50

Not recommended, unless you want to build a Cresta clone.

23.
LS3/5A type crossover.
B110A/T27A Complete network, similar in all essential details to the

LS3/5A
but with ferrite inductors and resistive HF attenuation. Complete with
recommended cabinet drawings.
(PCB7)
£26.00

New version of the classic xover, but designed for the old drivers combo.
Could be a good choice if you're on a tight budget, but the finished

speaker
will be a variation on the LS3/6A theme.

23aB.
LS3/5A type crossover. Speaker Builder 4/81.
As 23 but with KEF aB tweeter section.
(PCB7)
£29.00

The HF section uses a derivative of the high pass filter designed by Kef

for
their 104AB (AB stands for Acoustic Butterworth). Quite good, with very
smooth highs and mids, but getting further away from the original design.

23T.
LS3/5A type crossover.
See also No.102
B110A/T27A Complete network, similar in all essential details to the

LS3/5A
but with ferrite inductors and tapped HF ferrite inductor and matching

set
of HF capacitors. Complete with recommended cabinet drawings.
(PCB7)
£29.50

The real McCoy, Falcon style. The only option if you want to build a clone
as close as possible to the real thing - you will also have to use the

right
cabinet materials, damping elements and so on.

Jonny Durango

You'll need to pick the right tap for your drivers combination.

Thanks a billion for all your help! It's greatly appreciated!!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:15:42 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
wrote:

The description says
"tapped HF ferrite inductor and matching set of HF capacitors." Does this
mean the inductor is already tuned to the HF capacitors, or do I need to
tune it to the drivers themselves somehow?

You'll need to pick the right tap for your drivers combination.

TonyP

I can't help but wonder how you came by a CS1 set without the

crossovers.

I wondered the same thing myself. I thught maybe the original Fried

monitors
they were pulled from were, well, fried (ie. blown crossover). I really
don't know.

I thought we established the Fried Monitor connection was incorrect?
Regardless it's pretty unlikely that anyone could blow up two cross overs
without damage to the drivers. And I can't imagine they would be of use for
anything else.

TonyP.

Michael Squires

In article ,
TonyP wrote:

I thought we established the Fried Monitor connection was incorrect?

Fried speakers in the late 70's used KEF drivers, B110 and T2? in the
Model H and the next one down. I assembled a few of them...

The smaller bookshelf speakers used other drivers.

Mike Squires
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

Richard Crowley

Are the drivers still available for these? I tried poking around
the WWW and it didn't seem too promising.

Richard Crowley

Are the drivers still available for these? I tried poking around
the WWW and it didn't seem too promising.

Richard Crowley