SPS22

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder
Martin

"SPS22" wrote in message
m...
After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder

Cool Edit now Adobe Audition is still one of the finer tools for the PC
environment. Good price and good value.

Use what meets your needs, Cool Edit meets mine.

--
Remember:
Religion kills. Think before you believe.

Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC?

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audacity. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

I have been using Audacity, and Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features

than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs?

Audacity and Goldwave are relatively simplistic programs compared to
Audacity. They work, and are fine tools for what they do, but there's a
world of things that they don't do. If you don't need the power of Audacity,
then these simpler tools are just fine.

Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"SPS22" wrote in message

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC?

correction:

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

I have been using Audacity, and Goldwave. Goldwave has many more
features than Audacity, although I find it easier to use than
Goldwave. What do people think of these programs?

Audacity and Goldwave are relatively simplistic programs compared to
Audition. They work well for the limited number of things they do, and are
fine tools for what they do, but there's
a world of things that they don't do. If you don't need the power of
Audition, then these simpler tools are just fine.

Richard Crowley

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
correction:

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts,
the Adobe take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Correction Correction:

CoolEdit *PRO* is now known as adobe Audition. As a user
of both, I agree that, CE*P* did not suffer from the transition.

HOWEVER, CoolEdit2000 (the low-cost 2-track version)
suffered the ultimate fate (eternal death) at the hands
of Adobe. For those that don't need 128 channels,
CE2K was the best value/money out there. Now dearly
departed thanks to Adobe (who only believe in high-
end wares.)

Arny Krueger

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
correction:

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts,
the Adobe take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Correction Correction:

CoolEdit *PRO* is now known as adobe Audition. As a user
of both, I agree that, CE*P* did not suffer from the transition.

Correction correction correction.

Adobe still hasn't brought back the CEP 2 CD burning feature. While this is
not an appreciable loss, it could cause a little suffering for those such as
myself who used it. It's very convenient for burning DAO CDs of live
performances with multiple tracks marked out for easy access. I just keep
running CEP2.

There are other ways to accomplish the same outcome, but none as integrated
and easy-to-use. Over on the Audition forums, Adobe is still taking heat for
their foot-dragging on the CD burning front.

HOWEVER, CoolEdit2000 (the low-cost 2-track version)
suffered the ultimate fate (eternal death) at the hands
of Adobe.

CE2K was a bit of an anomaly, a deal that was apparently too good to last.

For those that don't need 128 channels,
CE2K was the best value/money out there.

Didn't CE2K run out of gas just past 4 channels, even with the so-called
multitrack add-in? I'm pretty happy with 12 tracks for recording live
performances, but I'm thinking about 16.

Well, there are still the various simple stereo editors, and there is still
N-Track.

Now dearly departed thanks to Adobe (who only believe in high-
end wares.)

I suspect that support costs for CE2K and its extremely powerful editing
functionality were out-of-line for its sales price.

SPS22

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50, if I am not mistaken.

-s

SPS22

"Martin" wrote in message ...
Cool Edit now Adobe Audition is still one of the finer tools for the PC
environment. Good price and good value.

Use what meets your needs, Cool Edit meets mine.

Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

-s

Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message
om
"Martin" wrote in message
Cool Edit now Adobe Audition is still one of the finer tools for the
PC environment. Good price and good value.

Use what meets your needs, Cool Edit meets mine.

Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

I'm not a Goldwave or Audacity expert, but how about you tell me how to do
something with either or both that is easy and obvious in CE?

My first need is to generate or record a 24 bit 1 KHz sine wave.

Then, I want to make a properly-dithered 16 bit version of it.

Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message
om
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50, if I am not
mistaken.

Audigy is not CE96 or CE2000, it's CE Pro. CE Pro always was around $300,
right?

Richard Crowley

"Arny Krueger" wrote...
CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts,
the Adobe take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

"SPS22" wrote ...
Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50,
if I am not mistaken.

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
Audigy is not CE96 or CE2000, it's CE Pro.
CE Pro always was around $300, right?

Right.

"Cool Edit" is an undefined entity.

Cool Edit Pro (CEP) is what is now Adobe Audition.
Cool Edit 2000 (CE2K) was disappeared by Adobe.
Previous versions of CE2K included CE96, etc.

Richard Crowley

"Arny Krueger" wrote...
CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts,
the Adobe take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

"SPS22" wrote ...
Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50,
if I am not mistaken.

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
Audigy is not CE96 or CE2000, it's CE Pro.
CE Pro always was around $300, right?

Right.

"Cool Edit" is an undefined entity.

Cool Edit Pro (CEP) is what is now Adobe Audition.
Cool Edit 2000 (CE2K) was disappeared by Adobe.
Previous versions of CE2K included CE96, etc.

Sound analyse software Bjarne J Aronsen Pro Audio 4 March 29th 04 09:41 AM
[OT] Sound measure software with equivalent sound level meter? jd Pro Audio 2 March 21st 04 08:34 PM
Sound vs. Audio Bob Smoot Pro Audio 3 March 9th 04 12:13 AM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 General 122 January 27th 04 01:58 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM