Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Anyone have a Schematic for an Alesis QuadraSynth?

It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 14/06/2019 1:33 PM, Paul wrote:
It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.

More helpful before you get too carried away would be a quick look at
the keyboard back-pcb where you will probably find a pcb-fracture, bad
jumper-wire between boards (or tarnished/corroded header),corroded
pcb-track or wire link, or a dead matrix diode.

Only after that should you need to start worrying about a schemtaic !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/13/2019 8:06 PM, geoff wrote:
On 14/06/2019 1:33 PM, Paul wrote:
It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.

More helpful before you get too carried away would be a quick look at
the keyboard back-pcb where you will probably find a pcb-fracture, bad
jumper-wire between boards (or tarnished/corroded header),corroded
pcb-track or wire link, or a dead matrix diode.

Only after that should you need to start worrying about a schemtaic !

As I just said, I hope it's something simple, as you have mentioned.

But there's no harm in asking for the schematic now!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/14/2019 12:36 PM, Paul wrote:
On 6/13/2019 8:06 PM, geoff wrote:
On 14/06/2019 1:33 PM, Paul wrote:
It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.

More helpful before you get too carried away would be a quick look at
the keyboard back-pcb where you will probably find a pcb-fracture, bad
jumper-wire between boards (or tarnished/corroded header),corroded
pcb-track or wire link, or a dead matrix diode.

Only after that should you need to start worrying about a schemtaic !

Â*Â* As I just said, I hope it's something simple, as you have mentioned.

Â*Â* But there's no harm in asking for the schematic now!

You won't believe this: It was something like a 24 pin
header, with only 12 of the pins connected!

UNBELIEVABLE. How could anyone be so foolish as
to hook up only one row of a 24 pin header? WOW.

So now the lower half of the keyboard work. I still have to
clean the contacts for several keys, and I should probably just clean
all of them, if I have the energy.

But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip. I must
say I don't really like it. It's like you press a key, and there is yet
another 2nd level that you can push the key, when you push harder. Very
strange, and something I'm not sure I could get used to. And listening
to how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both. Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create.

I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

:/

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
You won't believe this:Â* It was something like a 24 pin
header, with only 12 of the pins connected!

It's an easy mistake to make if the connector is in a tough-to-see spot,
as many of them are. I've seen socketed DIP ICs installed with one row
of pins all on the outside of the socket.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.Â* I must
say I don't really like it.

. . . . how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.Â* Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create. I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

I don't know if there's a way to globally turn off aftertouch (you could
disconnect the strip, I suppose), but it's almost certainly a parameter
in the patch that creates the voice. Factory presets are usually created
to show off as many features of the instrument as possible. Get into the
patch editor and you'll probably find how to change what it modulates,
or turn it off in that patch.

Or just don't press the keys so hard.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 3:25 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
You won't believe this:Â* It was something like a 24 pin
header, with only 12 of the pins connected!

It's an easy mistake to make if the connector is in a tough-to-see spot,
as many of them are. I've seen socketed DIP ICs installed with one row
of pins all on the outside of the socket.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.Â* I must
say I don't really like it.

. . . .Â* how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it
either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.Â* Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create. I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

I don't know if there's a way to globally turn off aftertouch (you could
disconnect the strip, I suppose), but it's almost certainly a parameter
in the patch that creates the voice. Factory presets are usually created
to show off as many features of the instrument as possible. Get into the
patch editor and you'll probably find how to change what it modulates,
or turn it off in that patch.

Or just don't press the keys so hard.Â*Â*

Yes, I have the manual. Just haven't looked into it in
detail yet. I would imagine I would have to turn the aftertouch
off for each patch.

Now that I've played with it a bit, it seems to be a fairly useful
function for voices like violins, where you sometimes want heavy vibrato
at the end of a note.

But I have another problem: The pitch wheel doesn't work, or only
works intermittently. Could be a bad potentiometer that needs to be
replaced.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.Â* I must
say I don't really like it.Â* It's like you press a key, and there is yet
another 2nd level that you can push the key, when you push harder.Â* Very
strange, and something I'm not sure I could get used to. And listening
to how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.Â* Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* :/

Actually, having aftertouch is an indication of a more advanced synth
keyboard.

In classical electronic music the keyboard is simply a trigger. In the
earliest versions, the key only submitted a single on/off trigger, and
all sound options were controlled by synth module settings. As a result,
it was difficult to make complex sound events such as emphasis based on
how hard one strikes the key, how long it's held down, etc. It was also
quite limiting in live performances (remember all those wires folks were
plugging and unplugging?).

Later generations of keyboards provided touch sensitivity (velocity) and
aspects such as duration that were previously only available via the
Envelope Generator and as a result limited to the number of EVs in a synth.

Aftertouch is another trigger that allowed the programmer to add more
voicings to the sound event, and as a result the musician had a lot of
expressive capability in when playing live than ever before.

So, explore a little and perhaps learn a lot! ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/17/2019 1:03 PM, Neil wrote:
On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.Â* I must
say I don't really like it.Â* It's like you press a key, and there is yet
another 2nd level that you can push the key, when you push harder.
Very strange, and something I'm not sure I could get used to. And
listening
to how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.Â* Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* :/

[...]

So, explore a little and perhaps learn a lot!Â* ;-)

Oh, this board has been a HUGE learning experience!

I'm getting used to the aftertouch. It's pretty good
in some patches.

But again, I'd like to turn it off when need be.