Posted to rec.audio.tech
dansolitz dansolitz is offline

Default Help need software to convert cassette tape to audio cd

I just joined a choir and have practice tapes that I would like to
convert to audio cds .I have successfully taken the headphone output
of a boom box and plugged it into the microphone jack of my windows
home xp computer and can create a file which I have copied to a audio
cd using the software that came with windows, but it only works for a
short time. Does anyone know of a simple soft wear product that would
allow me to create a separate file for each song on the tape That I
could then copy to an audio cd? The simpler the better quality is not
an issue.
Thanks, Dan

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"dansolitz" wrote ...
I just joined a choir and have practice tapes that I would like to
convert to audio cds .I have successfully taken the headphone output
of a boom box and plugged it into the microphone jack of my windows
home xp computer and can create a file which I have copied to a audio
cd using the software that came with windows, but it only works for a
short time. Does anyone know of a simple soft wear product that would
allow me to create a separate file for each song on the tape That I
could then copy to an audio cd? The simpler the better quality is not
an issue.

You will have to tell us what kind of computer (Mac? PC?)
you are using and what operating system & version, etc.
if you want useful suggestions. I make similar practice
CDs for several choirs.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

"dansolitz" wrote in message
I just joined a choir and have practice tapes that I would like to
convert to audio cds .I have successfully taken the headphone output
of a boom box and plugged it into the microphone jack of my windows
home xp computer and can create a file which I have copied to a audio
cd using the software that came with windows, but it only works for a
short time. Does anyone know of a simple soft wear product that would
allow me to create a separate file for each song on the tape That I
could then copy to an audio cd? The simpler the better quality is not
an issue.
Thanks, Dan

If you're using Windows, you can get by with the Windows Sound Recorder. No editing
capabilities (like trimming dead spots from the beginning and end), and only saves wav
format, I think, but that's what you need to burn CDs anyway. If you have Windows XP, you
can burn CDs (presuming you have a CD drive that can write), without any other software.
You should be able to have several tracks on the CD. Stop the recorder and save the file
for each CD track you want.

You should probably use the line input, not the mic input, of your sound card. I'm
surprised that the mic input didn't get overdriven and distorted, unless you had the volume
control of the boom box very low, and then it can get noisy.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green Neil Green is offline

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in
message news:K5nGi.6659$Af1.3633@trnddc06...

"dansolitz"
wrote
in message
[...]

Windows sound recorder is very limited, and unless you
have the Vista version will only record in 60 second
blocks as far as I can remember.
Audacity is a far better option, freeware and runs on
Windows, Mac OS or Linux.
Threre are plenty of free CD burning programs around.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"dansolitz" wrote in message
[...]

Well, scratch the Windows Sound Recorder. You're absolutely right -- the lame thing, XP
version at least, stops at 60 seconds (as hinted by the interface -- whould've guessed that
it doesn't go on, just rescaling it's progress bar?).
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Windows sound recorder is very limited, and unless you have the Vista
version will only
record in 60 second blocks as far as I can remember.

There are ways to circumvent that limitation, but they aren't worth the
trouble.

Audacity is a far better option, freeware and runs on Windows, Mac OS or
Linux.

Agreed.

Threre are plenty of free CD burning programs around.

Agreed.

I believe the Windows Media Player can burn audio CDs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...mp11/burn.aspx

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green Neil Green is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in
message news:zvzGi.425$re2.101@trnddc02...

Windows sound recorder is very limited, and unless
you have the Vista version will only
record in 60 second blocks as far as I can
remember.

There are ways to circumvent that limitation, but
they aren't worth the trouble.

Audacity is a far better option, freeware and runs
on Windows, Mac OS or Linux.

Agreed.

Threre are plenty of free CD burning programs
around.

Agreed.

I believe the Windows Media Player can burn audio
CDs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...mp11/burn.aspx

Probably, but I don't use it, too big and clunky.(And
the DRM thing's a bitch)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Neil Green" wrote ...
"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
I believe the Windows Media Player can burn audio CDs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...mp11/burn.aspx

Probably, but I don't use it, too big and clunky.(And the DRM thing's
a bitch)

I just recommended using WMP to a friend to burn CDs of
his daughter's piano & harp recital. I made the original
recordings (of public domain classical music) and gave
him a hard drive with the WAV and AVI video files.
WMP refused to burn a CD because he didn't have the
"DRM rights" for the files. Now that is just STUPID.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with WMP and
it is running strongly on the hate side at the moment.
It is over there in the dunce corner with Real Player
and Quicktime Player.

And the 3rd-party player/utility programs have UIs that
look like they were designed by someone under the influence
of some psychotropic substance. Does anybody make a nice
striaightforward audio player/utility application with real,
regular-size buttons labeled with words, etc? I detest chrome
and fins, both on vehicles and on application UIs as well.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Neil Green Neil Green is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in
message ...
"Neil Green" wrote ...
"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
[...]

I'm happy with Winamp for audio, just install in
"classic" mode and forget the skins, or use an older
version
VLC will play any video clip I've ever thrown at it.
Neither of them worry about DRM and both are freeware.
There are heaps of apps around to burn audio CD's, I
mostly use Easy CDDA Extractor which is a very good
piece of software that also doesn't care about DRM.