Posted to rec.audio.tech
justindavidsmith justindavidsmith is offline

Default Left Surround Goes Out Ocassionally; Cause Of Problem?

I have an Onkyo 696 digital receiver and have noticed the left
surround sometimes is not accessible. There are three things I can do
that will generally bring it back; turn it off and on, change modes
from digital to two channel and then back again, or increase the
volume of that channel in test mode. I've changed the connection with
different speaker wire and the problem still persists. Since it's a
digital problem, I'm wondering if there is a problem with the
processor or a loose internal connection and how much it might cost
for repair? It's a stupid problem but I've gotten fond of watching
movies in digital. Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

This can be a cold solder connection in the unit, or a failing
component. Opening the unit, waiting for the fault or provoking it, and
going through it with a test generator and scope would be a good way to
start troubleshooting it.

--

Jerry G.

"justindavidsmith" wrote in message
I have an Onkyo 696 digital receiver and have noticed the left
surround sometimes is not accessible. There are three things I can do
that will generally bring it back; turn it off and on, change modes
from digital to two channel and then back again, or increase the
volume of that channel in test mode. I've changed the connection with
different speaker wire and the problem still persists. Since it's a
digital problem, I'm wondering if there is a problem with the
processor or a loose internal connection and how much it might cost
for repair? It's a stupid problem but I've gotten fond of watching
movies in digital. Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
justindavidsmith justindavidsmith is offline

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:35:32 -0400, "Jerry G."
wrote:

This can be a cold solder connection in the unit, or a failing
component. Opening the unit, waiting for the fault or provoking it, and
going through it with a test generator and scope would be a good way to
start troubleshooting it.

Thanks for the reply. I ran the test tone through the speakers this
morning and the right front wasn't present but the left surround was;
weird. Then I turned off the receiver, turned it back on and all
channels were working, at least they are up to this point. So is
there something strange going on with the digital processor?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"justindavidsmith" wrote ...
Thanks for the reply. I ran the test tone through the speakers this
morning and the right front wasn't present but the left surround was;
weird. Then I turned off the receiver, turned it back on and all
channels were working, at least they are up to this point. So is
there something strange going on with the digital processor?

It is more likely something much more prosaic such as a
2-cent resistor with a bad solder joint, etc.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"justindavidsmith" wrote ...
Thanks for the reply. I ran the test tone through the speakers this
morning and the right front wasn't present but the left surround was;
weird. Then I turned off the receiver, turned it back on and all
channels were working, at least they are up to this point. So is
there something strange going on with the digital processor?

It is more likely something much more prosaic such as a
2-cent resistor with a bad solder joint, etc.

Possibly bad solder connections or speaker relays with tarnished contacts.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:20:20 GMT, Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
"justindavidsmith" wrote ...
Thanks for the reply. I ran the test tone through the speakers this
morning and the right front wasn't present but the left surround was;
weird. Then I turned off the receiver, turned it back on and all
channels were working, at least they are up to this point. So is
there something strange going on with the digital processor?

It is more likely something much more prosaic such as a
2-cent resistor with a bad solder joint, etc.

Possibly bad solder connections or speaker relays with tarnished contacts.

Or the speaker wire partially yanked out of the speaker or at the receiver.

Conjecture before you have even checked the speaker wire is pointless.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"AZ Nomad" wrote ...
Or the speaker wire partially yanked out of the speaker or at the
receiver.

Conjecture before you have even checked the speaker wire is pointless.

The OP said: "I've changed the connection with different
speaker wire and the problem still persists." Perhaps you
missed it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
justindavidsmith justindavidsmith is offline

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:15:21 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote ...
Or the speaker wire partially yanked out of the speaker or at the
receiver.

Conjecture before you have even checked the speaker wire is pointless.

The OP said: "I've changed the connection with different
speaker wire and the problem still persists." Perhaps you
missed it.

I not only checked the speaker wires and connections, I switched the
speakers to be sure they weren't the problem. Right now the left
surround is working and has been consistently since I ran the test
tone yesterday through the speakers and the right front was not
responding but the left surround was- this is goofy ****. So I turned
off the unit, turned it back on and all has been well so far. It's a
bit baffling since I don't know much about repairing a receiver with
this sort of problem, and beyond loose connections wouldn't know where
to begin. I'm hoping the unit self repaired and am going to enjoy it
while it lasts, but I don't want to disillusion myself. I've had
receivers that lasted for 10 years and more so am a little
disappointed that the Onkyo is acting up after 5. I own two amps
already, so might look into a 5.1 channel dolby digital/dts pre amp
and an am/fm tuner for a replacement after this thing dies completely.