Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edwin Hurwitz Edwin Hurwitz is offline

Default Pyramid sub surround

I just got a pair of Pyramid 8W Subwoofers and the surrounds are getting
pretty beat. They look like rubber to me, but maybe that's a certain
kind of foam. Any ideas about places to get them repaired or source for
parts to do it myself (I have successfully refoamed a pair of Advents),
preferably in or near Colorado?

Otherwise, I am perhaps thinking about replacing the woofers as I don't
need the dual voice coil arrangement and I am thinking that in the
intervening years between when they came out and now, there might be a
better driver. Any ideas on that?

They sound pretty cool powered with a McIntosh 2105 under a pair of
Dynaudio BM5as!

TIA
Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Cyrus Cyrus is offline

In article ,
Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

I just got a pair of Pyramid 8W Subwoofers and the surrounds are getting
pretty beat. They look like rubber to me, but maybe that's a certain
kind of foam. Any ideas about places to get them repaired or source for
parts to do it myself (I have successfully refoamed a pair of Advents),
preferably in or near Colorado?

Not sure about locally to you, but partsexpress.com has kits for various
sizes.

Otherwise, I am perhaps thinking about replacing the woofers as I don't
need the dual voice coil arrangement and I am thinking that in the
intervening years between when they came out and now, there might be a
better driver. Any ideas on that?

TC Sounds
Ascendant Audio
Adire Audio

....to name a couple.

They sound pretty cool powered with a McIntosh 2105 under a pair of
Dynaudio BM5as!

TIA
Edwin

hth,

--
-Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:23:05 -0600, Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

I just got a pair of Pyramid 8W Subwoofers and the surrounds are getting
pretty beat. They look like rubber to me, but maybe that's a certain
kind of foam. Any ideas about places to get them repaired or source for
parts to do it myself (I have successfully refoamed a pair of Advents),
preferably in or near Colorado?

Otherwise, I am perhaps thinking about replacing the woofers as I don't
need the dual voice coil arrangement and I am thinking that in the
intervening years between when they came out and now, there might be a
better driver. Any ideas on that?

Pyramid is pretty low end stuff; even any driver from Radio Shack would
be a small improvement. Step 1: what is the volume of the box; that'll
determine what drivers you can replace with. Parts Express has a good
selection of drivers.

They sound pretty cool powered with a McIntosh 2105 under a pair of
Dynaudio BM5as!

TIA
Edwin

Posted to rec.audio.tech

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:23:05 -0600, Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

I just got a pair of Pyramid 8W Subwoofers and the surrounds are getting
pretty beat. They look like rubber to me, but maybe that's a certain
kind of foam. Any ideas about places to get them repaired or source for
parts to do it myself (I have successfully refoamed a pair of Advents),
preferably in or near Colorado?

Otherwise, I am perhaps thinking about replacing the woofers as I don't
need the dual voice coil arrangement and I am thinking that in the
intervening years between when they came out and now, there might be a
better driver. Any ideas on that?

Pyramid is pretty low end stuff; even any driver from Radio Shack would
be a small improvement. Step 1: what is the volume of the box; that'll
determine what drivers you can replace with. Parts Express has a good
selection of drivers.

I think that you are getting this Pyramid confused with the Pyramid car
audio gear. This is stuff made by Dick Sequerra and if his stuff is low
end, there are some people getting seriously overcharged!!! :-)

Thanks for writing.

Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edwin Hurwitz Edwin Hurwitz is offline

Default Pyramid sub surround, but not that kind of Pyramid!

In article ,
Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

I just got a pair of Pyramid 8W Subwoofers and the surrounds are getting
pretty beat. They look like rubber to me, but maybe that's a certain
kind of foam. Any ideas about places to get them repaired or source for
parts to do it myself (I have successfully refoamed a pair of Advents),
preferably in or near Colorado?

Otherwise, I am perhaps thinking about replacing the woofers as I don't
need the dual voice coil arrangement and I am thinking that in the
intervening years between when they came out and now, there might be a
better driver. Any ideas on that?

They sound pretty cool powered with a McIntosh 2105 under a pair of
Dynaudio BM5as!

TIA
Edwin

OK, I've gotten several responses telling me that Pyramid speakers
aren't really worth the time and money spent on dealing with them. I
think there is some confusion as these are not the crappy car audio
speakers, but hand built speakers by Dick Sequerra. As they are, they
still sound good, but with new surrounds, I think they would sound
great. I have already replaced the Tannoy sub in my home studio with
them and they give me a much more accurate representation of the lowest
octave than the Tannoy did.

TAIA
Edwin

Suggestions on best way for a good front end with surround added later Greg High End Audio 2 August 6th 05 04:18 PM
5.1 surround headphones - Need advice Marc Brown Pro Audio 11 April 7th 04 02:48 PM
1.5 kva transformer Dave Ryman Tech 81 December 15th 03 09:45 AM
Whos doing Surround Sound Paul Pro Audio 10 October 14th 03 05:52 AM