Posted to rec.audio.pro
tattva

Default which digital recorder?

i am preparing for a project to record folk music from street
performers.

largely vocal in nature, there is some basic instrumentation in the
music being recorded.

i am researching to find a suitable sound recorder with the following:

1) it should be digital,
2) hand-held
3) mac-compatible,
4) not consume too much power,
5) fairly sturdy to take life on the road in a tropical climate,
6) have internal memory to hold recordings as well as memory add-on
capability.
7) recording of decent quality but not pro quality

if any of u have any experience with any such device, i would
appreciate a quick note about it.

thanks,

tattva

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I agree with the prior poster; the MIKE is probably the FIRST
consideration here. I have a good mike for singing and recording but I
would take my Realistic STEREO Electret mike with me if I were
recording something as you mention. I feel that the realistic "spread"
is even more important than the actual quality of the mike since most
of THAT will be lost in the noisiness of the situation anyway. I don't
know what inexpensive stereo mikes are out there THESE days but that
would be where I would personally stary looking. You can really record
very appropraitely to analog tape under those conditions so only the
fact that you have STEREO INPUT would be markedly important. The only
OTHER alternatives are to have TWO mikes spread a decent amount apart
(two people & long wires or wireless and EXPENSIVE). OR have two
recorders, the "fruit" of which you could mix together later if they
are NEAR to each other in recording characteristics. This was impssible
at one time but NOW we can do all the mixing we want DIGITALLY; even if
the source was analog !

George

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I don't know if you can get to this pasted URL but I did a bit of
homework and found one you might like and very suitable for your
purpose. Since it needs a battery due to the fact that it's a condensor
(which is probably what you want in your situation anyhow) it's not
redundant that it would be needed for the stereo processing. It's under
4 oz which makes it easily manageable plus its very inexpernsive. I
personally like products made by Audio Technica in general so I find
that another plus.

George J. Dagis
Audio -Technica Pro 24 XY Stereo Condensor microphone

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gunnar

Go directly to the right forum. You will find lots of info there,
already in place.
http://taperssection.com/

Gunnar