-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-

Default fusing 12v circuits...

I installed a custom LED setup in my ride the other day and of course the 20 I spent on three blue LEDs I doesn't want to spend again. the LEDs I know are rated power consumption in mW. so it cant be dat much. I was planning on using a small inline fuse. the LEDs have inline resistors. they are wired on the stock dash light circuit shared with nothing else, which is fused - . that circuit it is on a 10amp ATC style fuse.

is a inline fuse necessary for this setup? btw no other components are connected to this circuit at the present.

I also have neons on the cigarette lighter circuit. this is fused with a 20amp ATC fuse. is any other precaution necessary (two 10" tubes and 2 4" tubes. as well as 2 10" neon rings in the trunk around the subs). I have this all installed now with the neons using a 4 way 12v accessory splitter.I want to add a switch to the setup. I should be aight with the stock fuses but nothing has blown yet. I just want to protect my investment. but is it necessary? im sure one of you electronic technician fellas know about this.

check out my ride at http://www.sounddomain.com/id/babyblueballer the pictures are there if anyone is interested. this car is pretty much done. except for exterior mods. I am saving all my money for the 97 burban which imma be dippin and pimpin in, in August.

EFFENDI
ocran

Most likley fusing the circuit is not going to protect what wyou hooked
up, such as your leds. Fusing the circuit protects your car. With out an
inline fuse, it is very possible that the car will start on fire.
Remember, never hook anything up that is not fused, and never put a
larger fuse in your fuse box then what was originally in there.

Good Luck
--
ocran
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over half a million post online!

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-" wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, blue LEDs are very sensitive. They may appear to survive
a power surge but they become dim and may even flicker later on.
Reverse current is their biggest weakness. You will need some simple
protection against the power spikes common in automotive power.

+12V --- 47 Ohm ----+-------------+---+----
1/2W | | | |
| R R R 1/4W or 1/2W
15V Zener | | | |
Diode \----- | | |
/_\ \ | | |
| LED LED LED
| | | |
| | | |

The 47 Ohm resistor and 15V Zener diode will clamp high and reverse
power spikes. Blue LEDs need about 4V so they work best in parallel for
a 12V source. A 330 Ohm resistor (R) on each would be running them at
maximum brightness. Higher value resistors (470, 500, 680, 1K) can be
used for less intense light.

A 16V 1000 microfarad capacitor may be added, behind the 47 Ohm
resistor, to reduce flicker.

It's all cheap Radio Shack parts.