Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tom Tom is offline

Default Is this Golden Lion a fake?

A friend of mine has a later Genelex KT-88 with the two-tone red/pink
label and white lettering. But in looking at it, the phenolic base seems
very dark. It isn't black, but the best way I can describe it is this:
it's about the same color as a Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate bar.
Extremely dark brown.

Did they make real KT-88's with that color of base? There's very little
getter flash, about 2 cm. in diameter and pinkish on each side, and
maybe 3 cm. and dark brownish on top. The getters are round and look
like they are square in cross section. I suppose about 1mm x 1 mm in
cross-section, roughly.

Plates are black and I see no holes in them. There's an "8" formed in
the end of the locating pin. The only other code I've found is a "Z"
stamped over the "KT88" that the lion is holding.

Does this sound like the real thing, or do you think it's an imposter?

Thanks in advance!

FS: Genalex Goild Lion KT-66 Tube..Matched Pair..BOXES ONLY! MTM Vacuum Tubes 0 November 10th 05 06:55 AM
Red light camera ticket could be fake - issued by CA police ! Jim Car Audio 5 April 16th 05 07:09 PM
Ant golden ears here? Tom Tech 37 January 9th 04 05:59 PM
KT88 Gold Lion identifing needed Heinz Vacuum Tubes 0 December 10th 03 08:07 PM
Okay, here it is pt. deux George M. Middius Audio Opinions 42 September 10th 03 06:29 PM