Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

Default EICO HF-30 tube amps fully restored plays GREAT!

http://cgi.ebay.com/EICO-HF-30-tube-...QQcmdZViewItem

looks nice, any catch should be aware?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

william wrote:

looks nice, any catch should be aware?

$850 for a pair of 15-watt amps is a wee bit much. Might I suggest that
you look into a nice Dynaco ST-35 and/or SCA-35 at a far lower price?
You will always be able to recover your money, and you will be able to
determine whether you like that smaller sound at a lower risk.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

william wrote:

looks nice, any catch should be aware?

$850 for a pair of 15-watt amps is a wee bit much. Might I suggest that
you look into a nice Dynaco ST-35 and/or SCA-35 at a far lower price?
You will always be able to recover your money, and you will be able to
determine whether you like that smaller sound at a lower risk.

$850 is a lot, when many other really fine amps could be had for that.

Other lower cost candidates might be Eico HF-81 (great amp), Eico st-40
or st-70 (lots of room to work on them, also great amps).

the HF-81 holds value, the ST's seem to vary a bit in price, especially
the ST-40, which is in my humble opinion a real sleeper.

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Superhet Superhet is offline

william wrote:

looks nice, any catch should be aware?

$850 for a pair of 15-watt amps is a wee bit much. Might I suggest that
you look into a nice Dynaco ST-35 and/or SCA-35 at a far lower price?
You will always be able to recover your money, and you will be able to
determine whether you like that smaller sound at a lower risk.

$850 is a lot, when many other really fine amps could be had for that.

Other lower cost candidates might be Eico HF-81 (great amp), Eico st-40
or st-70 (lots of room to work on them, also great amps).

the HF-81 holds value, the ST's seem to vary a bit in price, especially
the ST-40, which is in my humble opinion a real sleeper.

Bob H.

Speaking of the Eico ST-40 I have a kit that was started, the controls,
sockets and switches are mounted and some wiring done. I am thinking of
selling it since I need the cash. My question is should I finish
building it or try to sell it as is. Since it's already started I'm not
sure if which way to go. It has the original tube set still in the
boxes, 4 Westinghouse 7591A, Mullard 5AR4 and 4 Mullard 7247 and 12AX7.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Speaking of the Eico ST-40 I have a kit that was started, the controls,
sockets and switches are mounted and some wiring done. I am thinking of
selling it since I need the cash. My question is should I finish
building it or try to sell it as is. Since it's already started I'm not
sure if which way to go. It has the original tube set still in the
boxes, 4 Westinghouse 7591A, Mullard 5AR4 and 4 Mullard 7247 and 12AX7.

That's a hard one. The tubes alone are worth more than the amp already
built.

I'm not sure about partially built kits. The unbuilt ones are worth a
fortune. You could try it with an appropriate starting value or a
reserve, since the tubes are worth a lot (at least $250).

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] jpchleapas@verizon.net is offline

On Oct 31, 4:28 am, "william" wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/EICO-HF-30-tube-...-plays-GREAT_W...

looks nice, any catch should be aware?

I like vintage vacuum tube amplifiers. The one thing in their favor is
that unless you pay too much for a pair they will hold onto their
value, and all are appreciating in value. The Eico mono blocks like
these are pretty darn nice. I do agree that these may be a little like
150 over priced. But it all really depends on their overall condition.
Nicer ones in extra clean shape will fetch more loot. The Eico big
brother mono amps do fetch more money. A pair of the HF-60's went for
$1300 or more a month or two ago on the bay. They were strange beasts.
The chassis's had been chromed. Do lots of research and also look at
prices of the ebay ended auctions for some of these models. Do forget
to peek at AudioGon as there are still some good deals every once in a
while. I would buy a pair of these type amplifiers over most any of the
ChiCom specials on ebay. One poor fool at AA actually bought a few and
they all died fast. Return postage to HK is a b*tch to pay for. There
is a vintage Eico information page you can search for on the web. Good
luck! John