Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Car Radio Reception

Hi,

I am looking for a new Car Radio/CD, to solve terrible reception
problems I have
- probably a manufacturing flaw with the car the manufacurer supplied
radio- changed both (to same model) and the problems presist, no
station holds for more than a minute anyhwere in the country- either in
manual and auto scan, while in my house even the cheapest radio
transistor works fine.

I thought of DEHP4750MP Pioneer, it lists "IIID SuperTuner" as a
feature, whatever that is?
Then saw that it doesn't support RDS. Seems strange for such an
advanced piece of technology. Anyway in another Cadence model, it is
advertised as having "Radio sensitivity" of 10dB-UV to 30dB, what does
that mean and what values should I be looking for to get maximum
sensitivity?

thank you

Posted to rec.audio.car
Scott Gardner

On 22 Nov 2005 04:06:21 -0800, wrote:

[...]

As bad as your current reception is, it sounds more like an antenna
problem than a receiver sensitivity problem.

Regardless, most receivers list sensitivity as dbf, for "decibel
femtowatts". Lower numbers are better, and anything under 12 dbf is
pretty darn good. Be aware that any differences in sensitivity
between different head units can be completely swamped by a
poorly-designed antenna or a poor antenna connection. If your factory
antenna is more than 5-6 years old, I'd replace it on general
principle when you replace the head unit. In fact, I'd probably
replace the antenna first and see if that solves your problem,
assuming you're happy with your head unit otherwise.

--
Scott Gardner

"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." (Arthur C. Clarke)