Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
darrelldklein darrelldklein is offline

Default Speaker repair: magnet to basket

Sorry for the cross post, but these are the most likely groups for
someone to have an answer.

I have no speaker-repair person in town to call and could not find an
answer on the 'net.

I have a speaker that works, but makes a "clunk" sound when moved. It
is a 40+ year old CTS 12" with the "big" magnet (56 oz.?). The magnet
is ceramic with the metal plates sandwiching the ceramic section both
bolted and glued together. There is also a bolt in the middle of the
magnet that relates to the pole-piece (as far as I can tell).

Here is my question: are magnets commonly or sometimes held to the
basket simplywith glue? I cannot see any glue looking at it, but I
can't see any bolt (or spot weld for that matter) either.

If the magnet and basket are joined by glue, I would re-glue the
magnet to the basket, intending to eliminate the the physical shift
that causes the "clunk" and not have to worry (as much) that transport
of the speaker with get the voice and magnet out of position with each
other.

If it is glue and you have remedied a similar situation, what glue do
you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

darrelldklein wrote:

[...]

I had one a long time ago like that.

I repaired it with PC-7, which isn't exactly glue. I built
the putty up between the basket and the bottom of the
magnet sandwich and let it cure under a heat lamp for
about 12 hours. Worked like a champ.

Lord Valve
Expert (please obsess)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&oq=PC-7+epoxy

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

On Sep 11, 3:22*pm, Lord Valve wrote:
darrelldklein wrote:
[...]

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oq=PC-7+epoxy- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply and the link!
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

darrelldklein wrote:

Here is my question: are magnets commonly or sometimes held to the
basket simplywith glue?

Yes.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

darrelldklein wrote:
Sorry for the cross post, but these are the most likely groups for
someone to have an answer.

I have no speaker-repair person in town to call and could not find an
answer on the 'net.

I have a speaker that works, but makes a "clunk" sound when moved. It
is a 40+ year old CTS 12" with the "big" magnet (56 oz.?). The magnet
is ceramic with the metal plates sandwiching the ceramic section both
bolted and glued together. There is also a bolt in the middle of the
magnet that relates to the pole-piece (as far as I can tell).

So far so good.

Here is my question: are magnets commonly or sometimes held to the
basket simplywith glue? I cannot see any glue looking at it, but I
can't see any bolt (or spot weld for that matter) either.

Sometimes, although they are more often spot welded. Sometimes on
speaker that old, they can be soldered, even.

If the magnet and basket are joined by glue, I would re-glue the
magnet to the basket, intending to eliminate the the physical shift
that causes the "clunk" and not have to worry (as much) that transport
of the speaker with get the voice and magnet out of position with each
other.

This is probably not good. Probably what has happened is that the
spider is damaged and the speaker is not centered properly. If the
coil is not held steady, you can move the magnet anywhere and it will
still be wrong.

It's also possible you have a center pole piece that is bolted to the
magnet assembly and that has come loose.

If it is glue and you have remedied a similar situation, what glue do
you recommend?

I don't think regluing it is the solution. You need to look at it
and see what is hitting what.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
darrelld darrelld is offline

On Sep 11, 5:56*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
darrelldklein wrote:
[...]

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

I agree. I will check the spider closely.