Posted to rec.audio.pro
Newsgroups Newsgroups is offline

Default Active XO

Any suggestions for x/o, using Rane Ac22b now & need x/o at 60. Anybody
offer opinions on ashly XR1001 clean,quiet,musical? Thanx in
advance BP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080906-0, 09/06/2008
Tested on: 9/6/2008 5:27:36 PM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Newsgroups wrote:
Any suggestions for x/o, using Rane Ac22b now & need x/o at 60. Anybody
offer opinions on ashly XR1001 clean,quiet,musical? Thanx in
advance BP

What's wrong with the AC22? It should let you crank it down to 70 Hz, and
since the filters on it aren't super narrow you won't notice much of a
difference between 60 Hz and 70 Hz.

I think the Ashley is cleaner-sounding on the top than the Rane, but it's
still a pretty wide filter.

What are you driving?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Newsgroups Newsgroups is offline

Thanx Scott,

Nothing wrong with the Rane.
Cleaner on the top is what I am looking for. The Rane seems gritty at times.
That slope,frequency melds better with the tops in my listenining room
after the experimenting.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Newsgroups wrote:
Any suggestions for x/o, using Rane Ac22b now & need x/o at 60. Anybody
offer opinions on ashly XR1001 clean,quiet,musical? Thanx
in
advance BP

What's wrong with the AC22? It should let you crank it down to 70 Hz, and
since the filters on it aren't super narrow you won't notice much of a
difference between 60 Hz and 70 Hz.

I think the Ashley is cleaner-sounding on the top than the Rane, but it's
still a pretty wide filter.

What are you driving?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080906-0, 09/06/2008
Tested on: 9/6/2008 8:57:25 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080906-0, 09/06/2008
Tested on: 9/6/2008 9:20:21 PM

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Newsgroups wrote:

Nothing wrong with the Rane.
Cleaner on the top is what I am looking for. The Rane seems gritty at times.

Take the op-amps out, put something cleaner in. They are standard quad
packages. Add a little supply decoupling, close to the op-amp chips. Add
bypass caps to the electrolytics in the signal path. You can clean the
Rane up a lot.

That slope,frequency melds better with the tops in my listenining room
after the experimenting.

What slope? How did you do the experimenting? What speakers are you
running anyway?

If you are using this in a listening room situation at home, you may also
want to bypass the subsonic filter in the Rane.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Newsgroups Newsgroups is offline

Playing with the SMS-1 led to the results, (don’t really care for the sound)
Magneplanar on top. Don’t really wanna go for modding the Rane, I am using a
K-1 on the subs.. Thanx

Newsgroups wrote:

Nothing wrong with the Rane.
Cleaner on the top is what I am looking for. The Rane seems gritty at
times.

Take the op-amps out, put something cleaner in. They are standard quad
packages. Add a little supply decoupling, close to the op-amp chips. Add
bypass caps to the electrolytics in the signal path. You can clean the
Rane up a lot.

That slope,frequency melds better with the tops in my listenining room
after the experimenting.

What slope? How did you do the experimenting? What speakers are you
running anyway?

If you are using this in a listening room situation at home, you may also
want to bypass the subsonic filter in the Rane.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080906-0, 09/06/2008
Tested on: 9/6/2008 10:27:12 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080906-0, 09/06/2008
Tested on: 9/6/2008 10:33:16 PM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

Newsgroups wrote:

Nothing wrong with the Rane.
Cleaner on the top is what I am looking for. The Rane seems gritty at times.

Take the op-amps out, put something cleaner in. They are standard quad
packages. Add a little supply decoupling, close to the op-amp chips. Add
bypass caps to the electrolytics in the signal path. You can clean the
Rane up a lot.

Did all of the above with the Ashly XR1001 here. Made a BIG sonic difference.

But the most striking difference came when I matched settings between channels using
a scope. Imaging, depth, all that stuff suddenly snapped into focus.

Of course, those cheap pots would not hold a precise alignment more than a day or
two and if you bumped the thing, forget it. They'd always drift just enough to start
smearing things again. Precision alignment was a big thing in getting the best
possible sound.

I got fed up and bought some Elma switches and precision resistors, and built my own
fixed-step controls (single and four deck), along with fixing the input and output
gains, and leaving just the LF gain adjustable via a step control.

Wonderfully transparent, with repeatable settings that don't drift.

(And oh yeah, I did try to integrate the subs and mains using their "natural" roll
offs, bypassing an xover. Yuck. Even pre-tweaking, the integration was much better
with the crossover.)

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns wrote:

Did all of the above with the Ashly XR1001 here. Made a BIG sonic difference.

But the most striking difference came when I matched settings between channels using
a scope. Imaging, depth, all that stuff suddenly snapped into focus.

Yes, absolutely. And this, in short, is why mastering-grade equipment has
exact channel matching.

I got fed up and bought some Elma switches and precision resistors, and built my own
fixed-step controls (single and four deck), along with fixing the input and output
gains, and leaving just the LF gain adjustable via a step control.

Wonderfully transparent, with repeatable settings that don't drift.

Now that Sumo is gone, does anybody even make a crossover with precision
detented controls, or do you have to go with something non-adjustable like
the box from Marchant?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Newsgroups Newsgroups is offline

Thanx to Frank & Scott for your suggestions

"Newsgroups" wrote in message
Any suggestions for x/o, using Rane Ac22b now & need x/o at 60. Anybody
offer opinions on ashly XR1001 clean,quiet,musical? Thanx
in advance BP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080906-0, 09/06/2008
Tested on: 9/6/2008 5:27:36 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080906-0, 09/06/2008
Tested on: 9/6/2008 5:29:28 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080907-0, 09/07/2008
Tested on: 9/8/2008 8:34:05 AM