Posted to alt.guitar,rec.music.bluenote,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.opera,alt.guitar.beginner
[email protected] demicamppppo@gmail.com is offline

Default Music Theory Review of Jeremy Shum's "I Propose On My Knees" (ft.Demi Lovato) - Teen Rock song

Any musicians please correct me if I'm wrong!

The song starts off in the F# minor key, and switches between that and
A major, which is no issue since they are related keys. Like all teen
rock songs, and many popular songs, there is a sudden shift in key to
G# minor/B major, which is a modulation up one tone (i.e. two
semitones).

The lyrics use a dual-line rhyme system, where the first two stanzas
simple-rhyme, and the last two simple-rhyme too. The structure of the
song is A-B-C-D-B-E-B-F format. This is not what you'd call a
classical format, but is a result of "B" being the chorus, and "D"
being the bridge. Thus, it probably makes more sense to express the
form as:
Verse 1 - Chorus - Verse 2 - Verse 3 - Chorus - Bridge - Chorus - Coda
The song is therefore made up of three verses, a chorus, bridge, and
coda. One verse comes before the first time the chorus is played, and
then followed by two verses. The chorus is then replayed, before
shifting into the bridge. The chorus is repeated after the bridge,
where a shift of key occurs. The song then happily finishes with a
coda, like many pop songs.

The content of the lyrics utilize simple-rhyme, metaphorical language,
and other poetic features. It also features a number of verbative
words which are somewhat loquacious, at least in the teenage sense, in
that the words are exclusive to "teenagers"; that is jargon, used by
teenagers, which stress the tween/teen target audience of the song.

The voice is rather breathy, but is the "normal sound" these days on
teen pop records. Phrasing is also used to express where each stanza
starts and finishes.
Posted to alt.guitar,rec.music.bluenote,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.opera,alt.guitar.beginner
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 23:12:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Any musicians please correct me if I'm wrong!

Some of your terminology is a bit awkward.

The song starts off in the F# minor key,

Just "..in F# minor" or "...in the key of F# minor."

and switches between that and
A major, which is no issue since they are related keys.

"...and A major, it's relative major key."

Like all teen
rock songs, and many popular songs, there is a sudden shift in key to
G# minor/B major, which is a modulation up one tone (i.e. two
semitones).

"All"? Are you sure?

The lyrics use a dual-line rhyme system, where the first two stanzas
simple-rhyme, and the last two simple-rhyme too. The structure of the
song is A-B-C-D-B-E-B-F format. This is not what you'd call a
classical format, but is a result of "B" being the chorus, and "D"
being the bridge. Thus, it probably makes more sense to express the
form as:
Verse 1 - Chorus - Verse 2 - Verse 3 - Chorus - Bridge - Chorus - Coda

Which would be A-B-A-B-B-A-C-A-D. Which do you mean?

The song is therefore made up of three verses, a chorus, bridge, and
coda. One verse comes before the first time the chorus is played, and
then followed by two verses. The chorus is then replayed, before
shifting into the bridge. The chorus is repeated after the bridge,
where a shift of key occurs. The song then happily finishes with a
coda, like many pop songs.

Apart from mentioning the key change this is just a repeat of what you
said in the preceding paragraph!

The content of the lyrics utilize simple-rhyme, metaphorical language,
and other poetic features. It also features a number of verbative
words which are somewhat loquacious, at least in the teenage sense, in
that the words are exclusive to "teenagers"; that is jargon, used by
teenagers, which stress the tween/teen target audience of the song.

What does "verbative" mean? Do you know what "loquacious" means? I
think you should re-write this paragraph in plain English.

The voice is rather breathy, but is the "normal sound" these days on
teen pop records. Phrasing is also used to express where each stanza
starts and finishes.

Posted to alt.guitar,rec.music.bluenote,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.opera,alt.guitar.beginner

The content of the lyrics utilize simple-rhyme, metaphorical language,
and other poetic features. It also features a number of verbative
words which are somewhat loquacious, at least in the teenage sense, in
that the words are exclusive to "teenagers"; that is jargon, used by
teenagers, which stress the tween/teen target audience of the song.

What does "verbative" mean? Do you know what "loquacious" means?
I think you should re-write this paragraph in plain English.

Here it is...

"The lyrics use simple rhymes, metaphors, and teenage jargon."

That's all your 56-word paragraph says.

Posted to alt.guitar,rec.music.bluenote,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.opera,alt.guitar.beginner
Sean[_5_] Sean[_5_] is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
The content of the lyrics utilize simple-rhyme, metaphorical language,
and other poetic features. It also features a number of verbative
words which are somewhat loquacious, at least in the teenage sense, in
that the words are exclusive to "teenagers"; that is jargon, used by
teenagers, which stress the tween/teen target audience of the song.

What does "verbative" mean? Do you know what "loquacious" means?
I think you should re-write this paragraph in plain English.

Here it is...

"The lyrics use simple rhymes, metaphors, and teenage jargon."

That's all your 56-word paragraph says.

I really like the critiques by William and Laurence. Keep it simple and
straightforward. Eschew obfuscation!
Posted to alt.guitar,rec.music.bluenote,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.opera,alt.guitar.beginner

"Sean" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
The content of the lyrics utilize simple-rhyme, metaphorical language,
and other poetic features. It also features a number of verbative
words which are somewhat loquacious, at least in the teenage sense, in
that the words are exclusive to "teenagers"; that is jargon, used by
teenagers, which stress the tween/teen target audience of the song.

What does "verbative" mean? Do you know what "loquacious" means?
I think you should re-write this paragraph in plain English.

Here it is...

"The lyrics use simple rhymes, metaphors, and teenage jargon."

That's all your 56-word paragraph says.

I really like the critiques by William and Laurence. Keep it simple and
straightforward. Eschew obfuscation!

"Omit needless words." -- Strunk & White

Posted to alt.guitar,rec.music.bluenote,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.opera,alt.guitar.beginner
L.A. Fryiot L.A. Fryiot is offline

Default Play and enjoy: Outgrow academia

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

:-) mvm

http://tinyurl.com/2hj395

Posted to alt.guitar,rec.music.bluenote,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.opera,alt.guitar.beginner
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

wrote:

This thing is crossposted all the hell and back. There is a
rec.music.theory group ( of which I know nothing ).

Crossposting is not that great a thing - especially
crossposts into alt.guitar.*.

--
Les Cargill