Posted to rec.audio.pro
jimz jimz is offline

Default edirol r09 and video

Hi
If I buy a digital cam corder and use my edirol for recording,
is there a standard time base for recording on both
to get it to sync. What program will do this sort of thing.

What mode to I record in ?

Thanks

Jim

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

jimz wrote:

If I buy a digital cam corder and use my edirol for recording,
is there a standard time base for recording on both
to get it to sync. What program will do this sort of thing.

What you call "standard time base" is what I call "good luck." Ideally
you'd synchronize the word clocks on the two recorders to eliminate time
creep between them, but since the R09 doesn't have a word clock or
digital audio input or output (regardles of what your video camera has
or doesn't have), you can't do that. So set them for the same sample
rate, generally 48 kHz for video work, and trust that the clock
frequencies are close enough to being the same so that you don't get too
far out of sync between edit points.

What mode to I record in ?

48 kHz, 16-bit will be fine.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
philper philper is offline

On Sep 5, 9:33 am, "jimz" wrote:
Hi
If I buy a digital cam corder and use my edirol for recording,
is there a standard time base for recording on both
to get it to sync. What program will do this sort of thing.

What mode to I record in ?

Thanks

Jim

It works ok--we use them as low cost backup recorders on video docs
where we are sending audio to the camera via wireless, and even as a
"plant" mic in scenes where we can't or won't use a wireless plant.
Syncing the audio up to the camera sometimes takes some detective work
to find a sound in both the camera mic track and the R09 (or etc)
track, but having found it it will hold sync for at least 10 min or
so.
A clap slate or a hand clap is a good idea. Don't forget to have your
camera mic on for a scratch/reference track to sync to. And roll the
R09 @ 48k.

Philip Perkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Z Jim Z is offline

Thanks for the reply.

I am somewhat shocked at the fact the
clocks on these devices are not very accurate.
I thought electronics has advanced to the point
where frames per second video and audio recording
could be done in perfect sync from device to device.

I guess I am mistaken.

However, what sort of program could be used to
"tweak" the tracks to stay in sync ? There must be a
way to stretch the time frame of the video with some sort
of markers that will ensure perfect timing with audio.
I would think it would be better to alter the video time
frame rather than the audio without noticable effects.

Jim

"philper" wrote in message
On Sep 5, 9:33 am, "jimz" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Jim Z wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I am somewhat shocked at the fact the
clocks on these devices are not very accurate.
I thought electronics has advanced to the point
where frames per second video and audio recording
could be done in perfect sync from device to device.

I guess I am mistaken.

Think about what a .0001% discrepancy implies over say, ten minutes,
with sample rates of 48 Khz. A tiny difference becomes obivous with the
passing of time.'

That's why more serious kit provides for locking to external clock so
that there are no differences between units.

However, what sort of program could be used to
"tweak" the tracks to stay in sync ? There must be a
way to stretch the time frame of the video with some sort
of markers that will ensure perfect timing with audio.
I would think it would be better to alter the video time
frame rather than the audio without noticable effects.

Most any DAW provides for time stretching or compressing of audio. The
better ones do it without glaringly obvious artifacts if not asked to
make drastic alterations.

I know nothing about video.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jim Z" wrote ...
I am somewhat shocked at the fact the
clocks on these devices are not very accurate.
I thought electronics has advanced to the point
where frames per second video and audio recording
could be done in perfect sync from device to device.

What you are asking for is equivalent to a pair of $5
knockoff chineese wris****ches to stay within 1 second
of each other for a year. Even professional equipment is
not expected to maintain this kind of absolute long-term
accuracy.

I guess I am mistaken.

Your expectations greatly exceed the state of the art
and/or you don't understand the technological issues.

There are still many techniques for directly connecting,
("genlock") or coordinating ("jamming time-code"), etc.
These are regularly discussed over on the production
sound newsgroup: news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound

However, what sort of program could be used to
"tweak" the tracks to stay in sync ? There must be a
way to stretch the time frame of the video with some sort
of markers that will ensure perfect timing with audio.

The customary method these days (which I frequently
use myself) is to roll the camera and the audio recorder,
preferably with some sort of visible/audible "sync" point.
In Hollywood, this is done with the slate/clap-sticks.
It "slates" the shot so the editors kow what it is, and
when the sticks come together that is the point where
they slide the video and/or audio tracks together to
establish the starting sync point.

In a live environment where it would be disruptive to do
a clap-stick slate I sometimes have someone just give
me a single hand-clap, or some other visible/audible
sync point. But even in the complete absense of a
reference, it isn't that difficult to line up the video and
audio tracks with modern video NLE systems.

Modern equipment, even relatively inexpensive consumer
camcorders and digital (not analog) audio recorders, have
good enough 29-cent crystals to stay more or less in sync
for maybe 10~15 minutes. This is plenty good enough for
film-style production, where individual scenes are shot in
isolation. But clearly not good enough for long-form things
like concert videos, etc.

I would think it would be better to alter the video time
frame rather than the audio without noticable effects.

Indeed, it is common to tweak the video track to match
the sound track. The audio track is the "master" so that
you don't have to do bad things to it like trying to stretch
or shorten it "slightly". It is rare that this can be done
without doing audible violence to the sound track. But
fortunately, it is rarely necessary.

It is easy enough to slip the video to match the audio,
cutting or duplicating a frame here or there as needed.
Viewers are much more forgiving about tiny glitches in
the video than they are with tweaks to the audio track.

Frequently you can get away with making a sync
adjustment like this only between songs, etc. And we
usually roll at least 2 cameras so that we can alternate
between a wide shot of the stage (for example) and
close-ups of the performers, audience reaction, etc.
At every point where we switch between cameras
it is trivial to bring the video back into sync with sound.
It takes much less time to do it than it took you to read
about it.

There are many common techniques for this, but this
is already off-topic for r.a.p. Video production questions
like this are discussed regularly in the video newsgroup:

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Crowley wrote:

What you are asking for is equivalent to a pair of $5
knockoff chineese wris****ches to stay within 1 second
of each other for a year.

Richard, that is _wonderfrul_! Thanks for the chuckle.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jim Z wrote:

I am somewhat shocked at the fact the
clocks on these devices are not very accurate.

Oh, they're VERY accurate, which is why you can usually get away with
"wild" (= no) sync for a reasonable length scene. But they're not
perfect. Most of them use a crystal originally designed for TV sets that
costs just a few pennies because they make so many of them. Still, no
two are exactly alike, and in an hour, even if they're different by just
a few hertz, the error accumulates enough so notice.

I thought electronics has advanced to the point
where frames per second video and audio recording
could be done in perfect sync from device to device.

"Sync" means that there's something tying them together so that they run
off the same clock. When cameras were driven by spring-wound motors and
recorder speed was determined by a DC motor and friction between the
tape and capstan, you needed a common time reference for both. We
graduated to SMPTE time code, and now we have word clock. Each system
provided more accurate synchronization.

However, what sort of program could be used to
"tweak" the tracks to stay in sync ? There must be a
way to stretch the time frame of the video with some sort
of markers that will ensure perfect timing with audio.

Most A/V workstation programs have time stretch functions. Vegas is a
popular one on a PC. However, this may seem like the layz way to
accomplish synchronization but it's not a very good way. Just because
the beginning and end line up doesn't mean that every point in the
middle will line up. Generally the way these things go, you'll want to
do some editing and you'll be chopping up scenes, so you chop up the
audio along with the video. Because the speed is sufficiently accurate,
if you line them up at the beginning, in the 30 seconds to five minutes
before the next edit, the tracking will be close enough not to worry
about it. But if the video runs continuously for an hour, you'll
probably need to adjust the audio at a couple of points if
synchronization is important. You need to look for "hit" points and line
those up. For instance if you're doing a video of a band, when there's a
close-up of the drummer, you want to hear the drum beat when you see the
stick hit the drum. But if it's a long shot, you don't care about such
precise accuracy.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jimz jimz is offline

Thank you all for the replies.
I appreciate the insight.

Might I suggest in the future we start asking designers
to build in an option to sync devices with perhaps a
satellite signal (gps or cell technology) as a universal time
base.

There are also pulsars in our galaxy that may be suited but
the antenna gets real large.

JMHO

Jim

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Jim Z wrote:

[...]

If you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring and reach me
he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

jimz wrote:

Might I suggest in the future we start asking designers
to build in an option to sync devices with perhaps a
satellite signal (gps or cell technology) as a universal time
base.

That would increase the price of the devices to the point where most
people wouldn't want to buy them (which would further increase the
prices). Besides, it wouldn't be a significant improvement over using
their internal clocks. If you're willing to pay a professional price,
professional equipment is available right now. A decent digital video
camera with decent digital audio would make recording with an external
recorder unnecessary.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Z Jim Z is offline

I really don't see how it would create a significant
price increase.

The cell phone technology and gps is getting cheaper
every year. Seems to me this may be the future.

jimz wrote:

Might I suggest in the future we start asking designers
to build in an option to sync devices with perhaps a
satellite signal (gps or cell technology) as a universal time
base.

That would increase the price of the devices to the point where most
people wouldn't want to buy them (which would further increase the
prices). Besides, it wouldn't be a significant improvement over using
their internal clocks. If you're willing to pay a professional price,
professional equipment is available right now. A decent digital video
camera with decent digital audio would make recording with an external
recorder unnecessary.

--
If you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring and reach me
he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

I really don't see how it would create a significant
price increase.
The cell phone technology and gps is getting cheaper
every year. Seems to me this may be the future.

It's not the future, because it doesn't solve any problem that wasn't
already solved in the 1970s. Technology that doesn't solve problems
doesn't help anyone.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's not the future, because it doesn't solve any problem that wasn't
already solved in the 1970s. Technology that doesn't solve problems
doesn't help anyone.

Only if you re-invent the problem so you can find a new solution. What's
that three letter acronym that was common a few years back about fear
and uncertainty?

Richard had a good point about cell phones too near audio equipment.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

jimz wrote:
Yes, I agree
professional equipment
but you need to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm an amateur I want to spend $$

Then you're going to have to do some cutting and pasting. Life is like that.
Either you can spend money or you can spend time. The reason folks buy
professional equipment is because it saves them time. If your time is worth
less than the equipment, it's not worth it for you.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Chel van Gennip wrote:
In fact it is much easier now than it was in the past. Some major
differences: Video comes with (poor quality) audio in sync, drift
between different digital sources is minimal, I see a drift of about 1
frame per 30 minutes, and syncing external audio to video with an audio
track in sync is not a problem in a NLE system showing the envelopes of
both audio tracks.

If this is the case, why does broadcast TV today so often have screwy
synch? Sometimes it's more than just two or three frames, even.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 8, 7:07 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

If this is the case, why does broadcast TV today so often have screwy
synch? Sometimes it's more than just two or three frames, even.

I suspect that this is a result of mangling in transmission, though I
never get to see a video broadcast product straight out of the editor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
Chel van Gennip wrote:
In fact it is much easier now than it was in the past. Some major
differences: Video comes with (poor quality) audio in sync, drift
between different digital sources is minimal, I see a drift of about 1
frame per 30 minutes, and syncing external audio to video with an audio
track in sync is not a problem in a NLE system showing the envelopes of
both audio tracks.

If this is the case, why does broadcast TV today so often have screwy
synch? Sometimes it's more than just two or three frames, even.

That is a distribution problem, not a production problem.
It would be very rare for audio and video to be out of sync
when it leaves Master Control. But there are plenty of
opportunities for video to get delayed in some sort of
processing that doesn't involve audio (or doesn't involve it
to the same extent.): compression; decompression; multiplexing;
demultiplexing; overlaying; frame-syncing; error correction, etc.

I thought I heard about some proposed scheme to automaticaly
detect loss of lip-sync and restore it.

ghij118 ghij118 is offline
Junior Member

Smile welcome to www.ccgolds.com

runescapemaple storymaple story mesosrunescape goldrunescape moneywelcome to www.goldsrunescape.com to buy runescape money.
RuneScape Gold

edirol r09 and video jimz Pro Audio 0 September 5th 08 05:31 PM
Downloading Youtube Video in video format [email protected] Tech 2 September 11th 07 11:08 AM
FA: Atari Video Music C240 Audio / Video Component Mark SG Marketplace 0 November 11th 06 10:35 PM
Playing audio/video directly from computer through stereo/video system via WiFi [email protected] Tech 2 February 17th 05 09:33 AM
Edirol R-1 anyone have one or used one? Mike Rivers Pro Audio 0 December 2nd 04 08:51 PM