Posted to rec.audio.pro
rakmanenuff rakmanenuff is offline

Default logic 7 vs logic 8

I own both Logic 7 and Logic 8, and I'm using both.

Just thought I'd mention some of the areas where
Logic 8 seems inferior to Logic 7, in my opinion.
Feel free to disagree or correct me. I'd still recommend
that people keep their Logic 7.

The "deconvolution" button in Space Designer
has gone, instead there's an "impulse response utility"
which is a separate application. I can't get it to work
properly.
And certain things are harder to accomplish in
the utility, (to me they seem impossible, but I don't
wanna jump to conclusions, the manual sucks,
no troubleshooting and things aren't even
working as described in the manual).
Wouldn't surprise me if a certain company threatened
Logic with legal action, but they're using convolution
themselves, so why can't WE do the same?

The graphics are supposed to look better, but they're
slowing the computer down a fraction, I want speed
when I'm editing, not colors and graphics. On a small screen,
in particular, 7 seems faster and more practical.

Cycle recordings default to "takes", which can be used
for comps. I don't like the "takes", but I can't find
a way to disable them. Some people will love the swipe
comping but it doesn't suit my way of working at all.

The new toolbox is slower than the old one (?), I'm
wondering if I got that bit confused with Final Cut,
but the floating toolbox? I use the scissors a lot.

I also want to use the name of the song as the name
of the files, but they default to the track name.
Again, I can't find a way to change this.
There's always been a general lack of available
preference options in Logic, menus, groove templates
etc, and things are still that way, as far as I can tell.

And the instrument channel strips are still instruments
with effects, so it's impossible to copy the plugin
settings *only* to instruments, am I right? There are
ways around this, but it's still annoying.
The virtual instruments and samples sans d/a conversion/
analog signal path need a fair amount of plugins on them
to liven things up, so this (for those of us who do everything
internally), so this is another area where time is wasted,
sticking the *same* plugins on instruments
time and time again.

It's possible to unpack the "takes" but that takes
extra time. I can't find a way to mark "takes" WHILST
in cycle record mode. If a singer does something good
or something crap I'd like to give it a color. Does
anyone know how to do this in 8?
Logic keeps trying to put everything in one folder
with "assets" and I have to deselect the assets
every time I start working on a new arrangement,
even though I've set the preferences to "no assets".

One step forward and two steps back. There are some
cool new instruments added in EXS24 but these work in 7 too.
Some of the best instrument presets have vanished.
Like the "pure tines" on the electric piano, For me that's ok,
I can just run 7 and save the setting.

I can't see any reason to use 8 apart from the Delay
Designer. I think I'll keep using 7 for everything, and
*if need be* load the song into 8 at the last stage.

Companies stop supporting old platforms/ old computers.
For instance Native Instruments have stopped supporting
their Kompakt instruments like the Silver Edition Orchestra.
I paid for that **** and now I can't use it anymore on an
Intel? NI - you guys ripped me off, what if I don't want
a "crossgrade" to Kontakt? I've already paid for a new Logic that
don't
give me anything extra apart from a *delay* plugin?
I don't even use delays that much.

Plus, some other applications like Digitech's X-Edit
don't work on a Mac Pro, so I'm keeping my G4 in the setup
and using a KVM switch.

There seems to be a slight difference in sound between
7 and 8 but maybe I'm going mad here.. 8 is sounding
somewhat smoother to me, but I don't know if that
makes any sense.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ratt Mahem[_2_] Ratt Mahem[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of switching to 8, but I think I
will stick with 7 for now.

apple logic pro 8 vs logic 8 express adam79 Pro Audio 5 October 9th 07 05:14 PM
FA: Logic Pro 7 Mr. Tapeguy Pro Audio 1 November 25th 06 08:36 PM
logic 6 pro or logic platinum or digital performer Matt Pro Audio 3 May 29th 04 09:53 PM
logic 6 pro or logic platinum or digital performer Matt Pro Audio 0 May 27th 04 10:04 PM
logic 6 pro or logic platinum or digital performer Matt Pro Audio 0 May 27th 04 10:04 PM