Posted to rec.audio.pro
Glenn Dowdy[_2_] Glenn Dowdy[_2_] is offline

Default Google Censorship?

I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed all
Bose discussions for some reason?

Glenn D.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Glenn Dowdy wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed all
Bose discussions for some reason?

No, it's just that the google indexing is broken and compound searches
don't work properly any more.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Glenn Dowdy wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed
all
Bose discussions for some reason?

No, it's just that the google indexing is broken and compound searches
don't work properly any more.

I searched each newsgroup independently for "bose" and for "monster" with
minimal results. I also searched "*audio*" and got the same.

Glenn D.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Glenn Dowdy wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed
all
Bose discussions for some reason?

No, it's just that the google indexing is broken and compound searches
don't work properly any more.

I searched each newsgroup independently for "bose" and for "monster" with
minimal results. I also searched "*audio*" and got the same.

Yes, but if you can find the message-ID, you can usually find that the
message is in the database, it just isn't indexing the keywords. I don't
know why... Google has managed to throroughly screw up the Altavista
archives.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Glenn Dowdy wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've
seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed
all
Bose discussions for some reason?

No, it's just that the google indexing is broken and compound searches
don't work properly any more.

I searched each newsgroup independently for "bose" and for "monster" with
minimal results. I also searched "*audio*" and got the same.

Google just told me that there are 4340 messages about
"bose" in r.a.p, and 3650 in a.a.p.l-s
But Scott appears to be right, a concurrent search on BOTH
newsgroups returned zero. Perhaps it is using "AND" instead
of "OR" (which would be fundamentally stupid).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Glenn Dowdy wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've
seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed
all
Bose discussions for some reason?

No, it's just that the google indexing is broken and compound searches
don't work properly any more.

I searched each newsgroup independently for "bose" and for "monster" with
minimal results. I also searched "*audio*" and got the same.

Google just told me that there are 4340 messages about
"bose" in r.a.p, and 3650 in a.a.p.l-s
But Scott appears to be right, a concurrent search on BOTH
newsgroups returned zero. Perhaps it is using "AND" instead
of "OR" (which would be fundamentally stupid).

As I mentioned, I wasn't searching BOTH. I searched separately, and found
almost nothing. What was your search process?

Glenn D.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote ...
As I mentioned, I wasn't searching BOTH. I searched separately, and found
almost nothing. What was your search process?

Google Groups Advanced Search page....
http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en&

with all the words: bose
from group at this location: rec.audio.pro
all other fields empty/default
click [Google Search]

or enter in the search box: bose group:rec.audio.pro

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

Glenn Dowdy wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed all
Bose discussions for some reason?

No, it's just that the google indexing is broken and compound searches
don't work properly any more.
--scott

Google search results have been *completely* screwed since they
first won permission to NOT give Uncle Sam their search history....
and this was a couple of years ago, when returned results were
severely compromised and longer delivered by presence of the
most key words... so it appeared back then that they had made
some serious compromises in the results delivery process in
order to protect users and search histories.

Now, however, they've lost the right to assure user's privacy and
must report search history under a number of categories. I suspect
they're trying to come up with ways to categorize things for the benefit
of Zee Dept of Zee Homeland Zecurity and are encountering some
intermediate 'issues'.

Note that searching for individual posters is _quite_ fruitful.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dwgriffi@gmail.com is offline

On Sep 2, 4:52*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

I searched each newsgroup independently for "bose" and for "monster" with
minimal results. I also searched "*audio*" and got the same.

Someone in r.a.m.p.s searched for "lavs", and obtained only 8 results.

There goes our cultural heritage

I couldn't resist using 'Behringer' for my test, and it returned
21,700. Still, there goes our cultural heritage!!!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Corfield[_3_] Richard Corfield[_3_] is offline

On 2008-09-03, David Morgan (MAMS) /Odm wrote:

Now, however, they've lost the right to assure user's privacy and
must report search history under a number of categories. I suspect
they're trying to come up with ways to categorize things for the benefit
of Zee Dept of Zee Homeland Zecurity and are encountering some
intermediate 'issues'.

So if I were to search for my friend's "spice bomb" recipe for example,
a lovely mix of curry and potato, or try to find that fun "hard core
pawn" t-shirt then I may be brought to the attention of homeland
security? Power is so attractive.

- Richard

(Now what happened to programs like Emacs which would insert random
rubbish into posts, like "President UFO anthrax nuke hello all my friends
in homeland security"? I suspect homeland security quickly developed a
way of detecting and ignoring such programs.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Glenn Dowdy wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen
more than that in the past.

And on the other side, when I inquired about an inexpensive Neutrik 1/4"
phone plug, I was surprised at how few replies I saw on the Verizon news
server, which I've been using lately since so many people seem to be
ignoring posts that come from Google. I looked at rec.audio.pro from
Google and found many more responses.

I guess that if you really care about communication, best to use
traditional methods. But you can't phone everyone. g

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Monty Parts Monty Parts is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
it just isn't indexing the keywords. I don't
know why... Google has managed to throroughly screw up the Altavista
archives.

It could be a byproduct of major ISP carries dumping the Usenet
feeds...and as such Google has stopped devoting any resources to it.

Actually strike that..I think Google as a whole stopped devoting any
resources to Usenet about 3 or 4 years ago.

PN
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...

And on the other side, when I inquired about an inexpensive Neutrik 1/4"
phone plug, I was surprised at how few replies I saw on the Verizon news
server, which I've been using lately since so many people seem to be
ignoring posts that come from Google. I looked at rec.audio.pro from
Google and found many more responses.

Remember that Google is an ARCHIVE while your Verizon
server is NOT. If there weren't a fundamental difference then
there would be no need for the Google Group Archives.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Monty Parts" wrote ...
Scott Dorsey wrote:
it just isn't indexing the keywords. I don't know why...
Google has managed to throroughly screw up the
Altavista archives.

It could be a byproduct of major ISP carries dumping the Usenet
feeds...and as such Google has stopped devoting any resources to it.

Actually strike that..I think Google as a whole stopped devoting any
resources to Usenet about 3 or 4 years ago.

If only. Their UI was significantly *better* a couple years
ago. They have continued tinkering with it until it is almost
unusable at this point. The current UI, for example, has no
concept of "threading", without which Usenet is a hodge-
podge pile of miscellaneous messages. This is what makes
me think it is managed by somebody who doesn't use
Usenet and has never seen a traditional newsreader client.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Crowley wrote:

Remember that Google is an ARCHIVE while your Verizon
server is NOT. If there weren't a fundamental difference then
there would be no need for the Google Group Archives.

Well, Verizon is the functional equivalent of a short term archive. They
keep rec.audio.pro articles for a week or more. The topic of the Neutrik
plugs was all over in a few days.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

Remember that Google is an ARCHIVE while your Verizon
server is NOT. If there weren't a fundamental difference then
there would be no need for the Google Group Archives.

Well, Verizon is the functional equivalent of a short term archive. They
keep rec.audio.pro articles for a week or more. The topic of the Neutrik
plugs was all over in a few days.

Remember also that not every NNTP server is as well connected
as every other server. It IS an informal store-n-forward confederation
of servers and arrangements must be made for each upstream or
downstream link. Whatever their deficits are, Google is likely
the best-connected NNTP operation on the network.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Crowley wrote:

Whatever their deficits are, Google is likely
the best-connected NNTP operation on the network.

And for this, I'm thankful. I used to use Google all the time for this
newsgroup, but for a while they were getting pretty spotty, so I
switched to what my ISP offers. And with all of the negative comments
about people who post from Google, I didn't want to be one by
association. But I still use it sometimes. I don't have a problem with
the user interface and postings seem to be quite prompt.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
thepaulthomas thepaulthomas is offline

On Sep 2, 1:26*pm, "Glenn Dowdy" wrote:
I just searched googlegroups for "Bose" in both rec.audio.pro and
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. I found _three_ posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen
more than that in the past. Is my google-fu broken or has Google removed all
Bose discussions for some reason?

Glenn D.

The same thing happens when you search for "Orban". Only 1 result in
the entire history of r.a.p. which is of course totally absurd. It's
happened before and was fixed at some point but now the problem seems
to be back....