Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Default Heathkit A7 amps meet TFTF V-Caps :)

Hi RATs!

OK, these little amps have been thrashed by yours truly

I ran what had been the number 2 RCA direct to the volume pot (1 Meg)
and from the pot wiper direct to the 12SN7 VA grid.

The VA is direct coupled to the signal splitter, other half of same
12SN7. The only caps in the circuit go from the splitter anode and
cathode to the 12A6 output grids.

I replaced 0.1uF Illionois Capacitor with V-Cap, same value.

In this amp. the metallized polyprops did not sound like the tin foil
and teflon do. Chris VenHaus is a man of genius.

In my opinion, the $100. per amp (which only cost $20. each, new) for
coupling caps is money VERY well spent.

You should hear!

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Here in Ohio" wrote in message

On 7 Nov 2006 20:27:39 -0800, "tubegarden"
wrote:

I replaced 0.1uF Illionois Capacitor with V-Cap, same
value.

In this amp. the metallized polyprops did not sound like
the tin foil and teflon do. Chris VenHaus is a man of
genius.

In my opinion, the $100. per amp (which only cost $20.
each, new) for coupling caps is money VERY well spent.

"Magic" caps, huh?

Did you verify that the new caps were identical in real
value to the old ones? Otherwise you just changed the
circuit and that could account for a change in sound.

Also, he needs to verify that the old caps were performing nominally. My
recollection that most Illinois caps were paper dielectric based.

I imagine that we should also ask for evidence that off-the-shelf mylar or
polypropalene caps from say Mouser or DigiKey wouldn't work as well as the
*magic* caps.

Also, since coupling caps don't actually charge and
discharge, why would a "better" dielectric make any
difference?

Ask Marsh and Jung. I personally asked Jung this question and got an answer
that was something like I don't know everything there is to know about caps,
but I do know that they sound better.

Personally, I'll buy some more music instead of wasting
my money on "better-sounding" parts. :-)

My take would be to run a comprehensive set of tests on the equipment (e.g.,
Audio Rightmark) and then address such problems as were found. Once finished
with that phase, I might be prone to do a level-matched DBT comparing the
amp to a straight piece of wire, while driving a speaker load.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

Not magic. Just better. I said you should hear. You said you would
rather doubt. Whatever. I ain't sellin' nothing

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Here in Ohio" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:14:56 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Also, since coupling caps don't actually charge and
discharge, why would a "better" dielectric make any
difference?

Ask Marsh and Jung. I personally asked Jung this question and got an
answer
that was something like I don't know everything there is to know about
caps,
but I do know that they sound better.

Yeah, that old nonsense. :-)

Tubegarden seems to be copying that schtick.

I'll let Jung have my Wonderbread film cap design if he wants it. They
sound... well... wonderful! hehe

Ha! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

These old, cheap amps drive these new speakers very well. I like
hooking stuff up and listening to Music. Changing little pieces is fun,
too.

Sometimes I listen to test tones and 100% pure, laboratory grade white
noise and pink noise, but, not often enough to really understand white
noise nor pink noise, just yet. I have noticed I can detect things
listening to noises that I don't notice listening to Music. I am not
sure it matters, much. It is an interesting change of pace,
occasionally.

I also have a CD of "ocean sounds wallpaper" that I enjoy. It is just
waves and stuff from some shore, somewhere, but, I like the sounds of
the waves and the birds and the passing boats I hear different
birds, here, but boats and waves are not common in Phoenix Oh, the
excitement of foreign background noises 8^0

A guy stopped by to drop off some little chokes I bought from him on
Ebay. He liked some of my old amps It is fun collecting old junk and
showing it to the 'tourists'.

I am enjoying the A7 Heathkits, They are small and easy to work on. I
have a monster P-P 2A3 amp with enough iron to build myself a Dump
Truck, but, it is so heavy, I haven't even tried to learn how it works,
yet. If my health ever improves, I have lots of challenges and
adventures waiting.

I am not much interested in explaining how or why I enjoy this hobby.
Just like doing it and listening to stuff.

It is OK, I worked hard for a long time for idiots who thought I should
explain everything to them. Everybody thinks a well phrased question
makes them look smart. Me, I like useful answers.

Putting V-Caps in a simple amp sounds wonderful. You may ask any
questions you like. I may not get around to answering them. When I was
working, the morons asking stupid questions were paying me, so I did my
best to explain stuff to them.

You guys will gey what you pay for, but, your general tone implies you
know everything and don't want to learn anything, so I simply will
ignore you.

Us old guys like to express our disdain. We are still stupid after all
these years. No big deal

Happy Ears!
Al