Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Co. George's Pro Sound Co. is offline

Default cheap adat to usb

Folks , I'd like to run the demo of the Software Audio Console
http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com/
I already have the recomkmended ada8000s for the hard wire in and out, I
would like to find a affordable interface to feed at least 12 channels in
and 4 channels back out, the ada8000s have adat andmy laptop has usb and
card bus options
if the demo is promising I would go on and build a dedicated desktop with
the rme raydat product
but I really don't want to spend 2000$ building the dedicated computer to
run a demo program I may not end up buying
what option do I have
sample rate is not a issue with the demo, 48 is more than enough
but I need to interface at least two of my ada8000s to my laptop to get to
level where i can evaluate the SAC program
ideas?
Thanks
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"George's Pro Sound Co." wrote in message
Folks , I'd like to run the demo of the Software Audio
Console http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com/
I already have the recomkmended ada8000s for the hard
wire in and out, I would like to find a affordable
interface to feed at least 12 channels in and 4 channels
back out, the ada8000s have adat andmy laptop has usb
and card bus options if the demo is promising I would go on and build a
dedicated desktop with the rme raydat product
but I really don't want to spend 2000$ building the
dedicated computer to run a demo program I may not end up
buying what option do I have
sample rate is not a issue with the demo, 48 is more than
enough but I need to interface at least two of my ada8000s to my
laptop to get to level where i can evaluate the SAC
program ideas?

Aye, there is the rub. What both you and I both want is 16 channels worth
of ADAT I/O for about $200. What the market provides is more like 32
channels of ADAT I/O for more like $1K, from RME.

One approach may be to fish for some legacy MOTU audio interfaces with ADAT
I/O on eBay.

BTW cheers George for even considering SAC. There has been a lot of
discussion of it on PSW. IMO it is a radical approach.

As much as I'm an advocate for digital consoles, I'm not convinced about
SAC.

Also, it seems arguable that SAC isn't really at its best without a control
surface (or more). We all mix with two hands at least some of the time,
right?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
[...]

with my experiance on studio manager I envision a 32 inch touch screen
monitor as the work surface for the SAC
I have no fear of technology, if it can reduce my labor, investment in
hardware, footprint, truck pack, it is all a way for me to offer my
services at the price point people are happy to hire at
and it makes me more competitive against the guy who is dragging in 2 500
lb desks and 8 racks of outboard
but you are right I want to demo this product with a under 300$ outlay
before I commit thousand and thousands of dollars to my vision
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

AFAIK reasonably priced 32 inch touch screens are like hen's teeth. It used
to be that 14" diagonal was the limit for reasonbly priced product, but that
recently jumped to more like 17 inches.

I've got some experience with trying to run Windows with a touch screen, and
it is not all that wonderful. For openers, you often end up using a stylus
and not just a finger.

If SAC was in my future, the big question in my mind would be how many of
what kind of control surface(s) I'd need.

I have no fear of technology, if it can reduce my labor,
investment in hardware, footprint, truck pack, it is all
a way for me to offer my services at the price point
people are happy to hire at and it makes me more competitive against the
guy who is
dragging in 2 500 lb desks and 8 racks of outboard

That specific promise has been talked about on PSW. The jury remains out.

but you are right I want to demo this product with a
under 300$ outlay before I commit thousand and thousands
of dollars to my vision

IMO, that is just plain common sense.

If the SAC people really want to sell this product, they need to go on the
road with a reasonbly-priced demo system. Set it up next to a M7CL or LS9 or
maybe even a Presonus with a multitrack source and a pair of cans and let
people take their licks on them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Co. George's Pro Sound Co. is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
[...]

sold the ls9, have a presonus 24.4.2 on advance order should be in hand by
mid april, the presonus appears to be 3/4 of the ls9 at 1/3 the price, glad
I got out of the ls9 while it still had value, another 2 years and those
things will be going for 2000$
but I do agree that SAC has to have a lease/rental progam in order for
working people to get hands on time learning a new idea of how to do this
, as far as the touch screen, I should have said stylus, I would not want a
table top touch screen, I would be touching much way to many unintened
items, same problem I had when I set my ls9 up for touch sensitive faders, I
was selecting and deselecting channels without being aware of it as I tend
to rest my fingers on several faders at once while mixing

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

AFAIK reasonably priced 32 inch touch screens are like hen's teeth. It used
to be that 14" diagonal was the limit for reasonbly priced product, but that
recently jumped to more like 17 inches.

The RedLeaf Technology 32 inch touch screen monitor is about $3K, and it's
configured (mounted) to look and feel like a console, with some
beefing-up to
make it at least studio-worthy if not road-worthy.

http://dawtouch.com/default.aspx

I think that if I were designing a digital console based on a general
purpose
computer, I'd go for multiple screens - one for faders and controls, one
for meters, one for
channel processing, at least. That way you'd always know where to look when
you were doing something, and you wouldn't lose everything if your one
monitor
failed.

As far as an interface goes, since the Focusrite Pro 26 I/O is obsolete
now (it didn't
last very long) they might be starting to show up second hand pretty
cheap. That has
two ADAT inputs and outputs and will do 16 channels I/O at 44.1/48 kHz.
Not that it
matters how it sounds for George's appllication, but the analog A/D/A
sounded pretty
good. I reviewed it a couple of years back. A quick check found one on
Craig's List
in Nashville for $400. Not too bad for what you get, and probably not
hard to re-sell
after the experiment is completed.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

AFAIK reasonably priced 32 inch touch screens are like
hen's teeth. It used to be that 14" diagonal was the
limit for reasonbly priced product, but that recently
jumped to more like 17 inches.

The RedLeaf Technology 32 inch touch screen monitor is
about $3K, and it's configured (mounted) to look and feel
like a console, with some beefing-up to
make it at least studio-worthy if not road-worthy.

http://dawtouch.com/default.aspx

I think that if I were designing a digital console based
on a general purpose
computer, I'd go for multiple screens - one for faders
and controls, one for meters, one for
channel processing, at least. That way you'd always know
where to look when you were doing something, and you
wouldn't lose everything if your one monitor
failed.

Seems like a good idea, given that OS support for mulitple displays is
pretty good, and that the costs of touch screens skyrocket once you get past
17-20".

As far as an interface goes, since the Focusrite Pro 26
I/O is obsolete now (it didn't
last very long) they might be starting to show up second
hand pretty cheap. That has
two ADAT inputs and outputs and will do 16 channels I/O
at 44.1/48 kHz. Not that it
matters how it sounds for George's appllication, but the
analog A/D/A sounded pretty
good. I reviewed it a couple of years back. A quick check
found one on Craig's List
in Nashville for $400. Not too bad for what you get, and
probably not hard to re-sell
after the experiment is completed.

The whole scene about pricing of audio interfaces with just ADAT ports seems
to be pretty crazy. The actual parts cost doesn't seem like it would be a
lot, and the engineering doesn't seem to be rocket science. Alesis no doubt
makes it what it is with their licensing control over the basic technology.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Feb 24, 1:50*pm, "George's Pro Sound Co." wrote:
[...]

Hi,

sorry, cause this will be long and won't nswer your question,
but I'm in bed with temperature ...

I've couple ADAT equiped thingies. Fostex VF16 HD portastudio,
Fostex ADA to add 8 line inputs to above.
Event EZBus as desktop sound card. Serves as input to VF16,
for rare cases I need more than 2 CH of phantom at once.
Inside PC thers PCI Terratec EWS88D, which I fully recommend
to everybody. Some days ago I installed W7 and it seam to work
just fine. No hard work though.

1st thought.
My usual gig is to go somewhere, record something to VF16,
than bring it home to mix and edit in PC.
Obviously, there are times when I have + 8 tracks, and EWS
is only 8. If longest take duration is less than 1 hour transfer
goes lthe backup way in 1 take. 8 tracks groups
(up to 3: 8 + 8 + alternate 8 = 24 total ) go in sucesion.
If something's longer than 59:59:59 I have to go ordinary
rec -play manner, in passes of 8. Just take care of master clock.
This is annoying, but hapens only if I record live gig and than
ther's no need for more than 2 passes, because I can not
record more than 16 tracks at once.
So 1 st wish: something with at least 2 ADATs.

2nd thought
everything's Laptop today I should go that way.
Ditch VF, ADA and EWS for Laptop. + 8 at once sessions are
rather rare lately. I already have inputs on EZBus and ADA. So ...
2nd wish: something USB, or FW with 1 ADAT is just fine

3rd thought
everything's Laptop today. This VF makes me
at least little bit different, in the sense. I'll keep it for
"field".
Also, there was a chance to get some decent space for recording
room. Pc started being noisy, too, I'll swich to laptop. So ..
3rd wish: something USB, or FW with 3ADATs to plug all
my inputs at once.

1 st wish: I fogot about it before I started thinking about the
second.

2nd wish: Soon enough I realised there are no simple input thingies.
The only pricewise acceptable thing, without too many features was
Behringer BCA2000 @ EUR120 or so. I ordered one. It would not
install on any computers dealer and I tried, so it went back without
even a tryout. They could not give me another one, because this one
seamed to be the last and the only one you could buy anywhere
arround a Europe. It's discontinued now.

At about this time, the 3rd wish emerged.
Options were close to 1. M-audio Firewire lightbridge.
Plus one worth thinking, for my pourpose not your. Almost double
cost, but cool looking Alesis Master control. 2 ADAT inputs + 8
or so own inputs. I could ditch ADA, or EzBus and ....

.... I moved to larger flat, so I can not afford recording place
anymore.

Sorry again.

V.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Co. George's Pro Sound Co. is offline

Replied via email
I have resigned to the lightbridge, shame I have to buy 1500$ worth of new
hardware(light bridge, outfitted desktop with firewire and wifi) in order to
even EVALUATE the SAC
I should have it up and running by mid july
if nothing else it will be a new adventure in audio technology for me
George