TonyP

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

Steven Sullivan wrote:

TonyP wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

TonyP wrote:

I have heard differences in some amps that I own. My Carver 1.5t does
not sound the same as my Onkyo M510 or the Counterpoint SA220. I was
giving a friend the Onkyo (didn't need 3 amps and just had the Carver
serviced and spec'ed), so we hooked it up to my Acoustat 1+1's medallion
mod speakers. We listened between the Onkyo and Counterpoint. They both
sounded very good. I would have thought that the SA220 would have
'destroyed' the Onkyo considering the price difference. The Onkyo cost
me $160, the Counterpoint, $2500. I would probably be hard pressed to
say which was better if my eyes were closed,or even if I could say which
was which. We only listened briefly. Possibly, with a more detailed
listening session, differences might have been heard. But, for that
brief session, the Onkyo and Counterpoint sounded the same. I gave him
the Onkyo. The Carver sounded 'different'. It was readily apparent.
Nothing subtle. I even hooked my Pioneer Elite receiver, then my JVC
receiver to the speakers, and *anyone* could hear the difference. These
are all products with vanishing low distortion and wide frequency

You write all this, then chide Stewart with the classic '*YOU* heard no
difference' argument when he reported his *controlled* listening
versus measurement results. Do you not see the contradiction?
WHy is your anecdote evidentially superior? 'YOU heard no difference'
would still apply; moreover, yours weren't even *blinded* comparisons,
so they suffer from *additional* sources of error.

Nowhere in my writing above, is Stewart's name mentioned.

Indeed, but elsewhere, you do reply as I've indicated. I assume that
your rhetorical position does not change from thread to thread.

My reply is above and stands as is. Do not try to make it apply to
Stewart or anyone else. It was not meant nor written in that fashion.
Don't try to twist it to fit your agenda.

Nowhere.

Are you saying that what you write in one post, does not apply in another?
If you are going to question Stewart on the basis you used, you should be
aware that your own report is not immune to the same critique.

My post here is a statement of what happened. That is all. Why you
insist on making it more than what it is, is beyond me. I have not
questioned Stewart in this post. Nor you. Nor anyone. As for critique, I
expected it.

His
results were his, mine are mine, and those that were there, agreed. They
heard a difference. And it was obvious. Nothing subtle. Nothing that you
would have to strain to hear. And.. it is repeatable. I never claimed
that my "anecdote evidentially" superior. That is your statement, not
mine. I claim no superiority in testing, listening, measuring, anything.
Just reporting the experience.
That is all. And, unless you were there,
you either accept or don't accept the results. But, you can not deny my
personal experience or those that were there.

But I can question their interpretation of it.

You can, but you would be asking the wrong person. I reported the results.

You don't have to be
"blinded" to hear a difference. Just listen and be honest. If you are
ever in the LI, NY area, let me know, for it is repeatable.
There is no contradiction except you choose not to accept my results
because of *your* bias. Who determines that "blinded" is a better test?
Again, everyone has a bias, even myself. But, I am honest with what *I*
hear, or don't hear.

But that doesn't mean you're *right*. People who think
they hear differences...really do think they hear differences.
I don't question that. But they can easily be wrong. So more
rigorously-gathered evidence,
such as Stewart reported, would help deteremine if they're right.

*Right* as far as.... As for the sonic differences, they were there.
Everyone heard them. Everyone. And if you were there, you would have
also. They were not wrong. And, since you weren't there, you can only
speculate (wrongly). It was an impromptu listening session with "stuff"
I had laying around. That was all.

I have no ax to grind with those that can't hear a difference. Good for
you. You can save a lot of money and buy a competent receiver, Home
Depot speaker wire and Radio Shack gold interconnects, decent efficient
speakers and live in audio bliss. I wish that were the case for me.

There's good news: it might be!
Try trusting *only* your ears...which means, alas,
using a bias-controlled comparison protocol.

Again, I listen with my ears, not measuring instruments. I am sure that
you picked all your equipment with a "blindfold" on (meaning DBT).

Nowhere, in the quote above, did I mention measuring instruments. Nowhere.
In fact, I'm suggesting you must use your ears for
proving the presence of audible difference between cables, amps,
and other components where there's little good reason to expect
large audible differences. To use your ears in this fashion, you have
to eliminate the bais inherent in sighted comparison. When you do,
you might find that you needn't spend the amounts of money you've been
getting, to get the *same* audible result. Which goes to the root of
your lament.

You keep mentioning *bias*. How do you know if someone has a bias or
not? Again, ad infinitum, I had no ax to grind on the equipment. It was
all mine. The Phase 400 (which I thought was a killer amp) didn't sound
as good as the Carver 1.5t, which didn't sound as good as the
Counterpoint SA200, which, to my surprise sounded almost the same as the
"inexpensive" Onkyo M510 (which was less than 1/10th the price of the
Counterpoint). Now, if I were so biased by sighted observation, I
certainly would not have come up with that. The bias inherent in sighted
tests can be the same in DBT. If you beleive there is no difference in
equipment, there won't be.
And, to repeat myself again, if you or anyone is happy with a
"competent" receiever, RS and HD cables and interconnects along with
decent speakers, fine. Enjoy. I am not. And.... there is a difference in
the equipment that I own.
Again, anytime you are in the LI, NY area, you are more than welcome to
stop by and listen for yourself.

TonyP

Bob Marcus wrote:

TonyP wrote:

Nowhere in my writing above, is Stewart's name mentioned. Nowhere. His
results were his, mine are mine, and those that were there, agreed.
They heard a difference. And it was obvious. Nothing subtle. Nothing
that you would have to strain to hear. And.. it is repeatable.

No, it is not. Sighted listening tests are NEVER repeatable. Ever.
That's because you cannot repeat all the conditions of the test--in
particular, the test subjects' exact prior knowledge and opinions of the
things being tested. Even if you use the same subjects, their
knowledge/opinions have now been affected by their experience in the
earlier test.

Yes it is. Considering you were not there, it amazes me how you can come
to that conclusion. You don't know the test subjects backgrounds, so you
can not make that assertation on their prior knowledge. And yes, their
knowledge and opinions are affected. They knew what they heard. And it
is, again, repeatable.

The virtue of blind tests is that they remove these factors from
consideration. Thus, you can repeat a blind test, either with the same
subjects or with different ones.

I never claimed that my "anecdote evidentially" superior. That is your
statement, not mine. I claim no superiority in testing, listening,
measuring, anything. Just reporting the experience. That is all. And,
unless you were there, you either accept or don't accept the results.
But, you can not deny my personal experience or those that were there.

No one denied your experience. Some questioned the significance of it,
for very good reasons.

There is no significance to it at all. Just passing on an experience
that is repeatable with the equipment that I have. Not hard to do.

You don't have to be "blinded" to hear a difference. Just listen and
be honest. If you are ever in the LI, NY area, let me know, for it is
repeatable. There is no contradiction except you choose not to accept
my results because of *your* bias. Who determines that "blinded" is a
better test?

Actually, that would be experts in human perception, who can be found in
the psychology department of any accredited university in the country.
There are a few of those on Long Island. Look one up.

I stated that if you or anyone is in the LI, NY area, I will repeat it.
Wife is a psychologist. Don't have to look one up.

Again, everyone has a bias, even myself. But, I am honest with what
*I* hear, or don't hear.

You've just contradicted yourself.

No I haven't.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 15 Apr 2004 04:09:05 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:tZefc.141925$K91.355043@attbi_s02...
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:30:20 GMT,
(Michael

Stax CPY-2 cartridge (not moving coil, but better!)

Another unsubstantiated claim.

The Stax cartridge used an electret principle. It had astonishing
speed and clarity. The best I have ever heard. It does not suffer from
magnetic anomolies that all other types of cartridges do.

Neither does the Decca Deram. The Stax was a good cart, but not IME
exceptional. I much preferred the Ortofon SL15E from that era, and
later the Fidelity Research MCs. They do not suffer from the
assymetric field anomalies that the Stax does.....

Stax Lambda headphones connected to the amplifier through the SRD-7
transformer.

I also used a Magnepan tone arm and a Thorens TD-125 Mk. II table.

So, you were using a low-resolution vinyl front end, and you expect us
to accept your claims? Garbage in, garbage out..................

It was not perfect, to be sure, but good enough....

Oh, suddenly your resolution standard slips to 'not perfect, but good
enough', when the second fatal flaw in your own experiment is exposed?
My my, what a surprise.......

You'll find that the smearing effect of vinyl on the sound is at least
as bad as that of a good loudspeaker/room setup.

BTW, I replaced my TD-125 about fifteen years ago, with a vastly
superior Michell GyroDec.

...it is NOT the same as claiming that I was
abducted by aliens....

It is statistically similar................

No, it is not.

Why not? Explain the difference in probability.

1. Aliens are not known to exist.

Neither is cable sound, but people still believe in it - just like
alien abduction.

2. Hearing is an everyday item. Most of us are quite good at
recognizing sounds.

But none of us is capable of hearing differences among cables.

You're fixated on the claimed quality of your headphones, while
totally ignoring the *vast* problem of sighted listening. I use
equipment of similar or higher quality to yours, and neither I nort
anyone else who's been here can hear what you *claim* to hear.

You VASTLY overstate the case for bias.

Nope, if anything, I understate it. Check out any good psy text for
confirmation of the amazing capability for self-delusion of the human
brain.

Bob Marcus

TonyP wrote:

Bob Marcus wrote:

TonyP wrote:

Nowhere in my writing above, is Stewart's name mentioned. Nowhere. His
results were his, mine are mine, and those that were there, agreed.
They heard a difference. And it was obvious. Nothing subtle. Nothing
that you would have to strain to hear. And.. it is repeatable.

No, it is not. Sighted listening tests are NEVER repeatable. Ever.
That's because you cannot repeat all the conditions of the test--in
particular, the test subjects' exact prior knowledge and opinions of the
things being tested. Even if you use the same subjects, their
knowledge/opinions have now been affected by their experience in the
earlier test.

Yes it is. Considering you were not there, it amazes me how you can come
to that conclusion.

I don't have to be there when you turn on your teakettle to know what
temperature the water boils at, either. Sighted tests aren't repeatable, in
the scientific sense. If you think otherwise, then you don't understand what
repeatability means scientifically. It's a bit more complicated than, "Well,
we can do it again and get the same result." You've got to make sure, for
example, that the first result can't influence the second--and that's
impossible in a sighted test.

[...]

If it has no significance, why are you reporting it to us?

* You don't have to be "blinded" to hear a difference. Just listen and
be honest. If you are ever in the LI, NY area, let me know, for it is
repeatable. There is no contradiction except you choose not to accept
my results because of *your* bias. Who determines that "blinded" is a
better test?

Actually, that would be experts in human perception, who can be found in
the psychology department of any accredited university in the country.
There are a few of those on Long Island. Look one up.

I stated that if you or anyone is in the LI, NY area, I will repeat it.

Sure you will. And it will still mean nothing.

Wife is a psychologist. Don't have to look one up.

Read it again. A clinical psychologist is NOT an expert in perception. But
if she took at least one course in perception, however, she might be able to
explain to you why we insist that blind tests are necessary to confirm
claims of audible difference. It would be a place for you to start, at
least.

Again, everyone has a bias, even myself. But, I am honest with what
*I* hear, or don't hear.

You've just contradicted yourself.

No I haven't.

Sure you have. Your first sentence ("Again, everyone has a bias, even
myself.") admits to a susceptibility to bias. Your second sentence ("But, I
am honest with what *I* hear, or don't hear.") denies it. If you really WERE
honest with yourself, you'd admit that you cannot be sure of what you heard,
given the way you heard it.

bob

Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

 The favorite strawman. My proposed control test has absolutely nothing
to  do with *my* beliefs, opinions, or preferences. it compares a more
traditional audiophile way of evaluating components, but blinded, to the

same test conducted not blinded, and to your standard blind a-b test.Â

The
 only requirement is that the units under test do show *some*

statistical
 difference in audio characteristics when rated by a couple of dozen Â
audiophiles during sighted testing (using rating scales just as you do in

your car audio evaluations). This has absolutely nothing to do with me

or
 my preferences.

Nor does it have much to do with good test design. Your overcomplex

approach
would--and could--prove nothing. There are ways to test your "theory," but
this is not one of them.

Why don't you contribute constructively rather than destructively. Why
don't you point out exactly how "this is not one of them" and how this "does
not have much to do with good test design" and then propose althernative
ways to test my theory. Since I posited the test we have heard nothing but
negatives from you.

Dick Pierce

(S888Wheel) wrote in message news:6Zefc.139490$w54.894417@attbi_s01...
absorb sound. Thus using precisely the correct shade of green marker
on the edge of the plastic disk provides you with a means of absorbing
all this excess red laser light before it can cause subtle harmonics
and phase shifting effects in the audio output of the playback system.
Obviously, this becomes even more important in any system which
utilizes "dithering".

More garbage! A green edge does *not* absorb red light, it simply
reflects green light, and a CD laser is any case infra-red, not
visible red light. Further, if there were to be any effect on the
reading ability of the head, it could not possible translate to
specific areas of the spectrum. because this simply isn't how digital
audio works.

While agree with just about all you said on this issue and I
thought this explination for how green pens work was posted
as a joke. Green pigment does absorb red light.

Wrong on a couple of counts.

First, something appears green simply because there's enough of
a preponderance of green light to appear that way to the eye.
Take a look at the absorbtion spectra of any number of common
green pigments and you will find that the amount of VISIBLE
red light absorbed can be small and still the pigment appears
quite green.

Second, your assertion that green pigment absorbs red light,
while it may or may not be true to one degree or another is
IRRLEVANT becaue the laser is NOT red, it operates in the near
INFRARED.

Third, your assertion that green pigment absorbs red or even
infrared is IRRELVANT because the entire playback read system
of optical disks was design to operate locally, i.e., in the
region of the actual pit/land beeing read and is immune to
the edge scattering effects. For such to be relevant, it would
require a return signal that is proximal in strength to the first
reflected level AND the reflected path would have to be EXACTLY
equal to an odd multiple of 1/2 wavelengths of the laser in order
to cause any change in the read data. Now, show us how such
scattered light could POSSIBLY have such a property when the
ONLY way it could get to an from the edge is by many thousands
reflections along the way (between bottom surface and reflected
layer, each time being scattered and diffused even further by
the remainder of the pits/lands).

It's bunkum. Pure and simple. Why not accept the fact and move
on?

FOr a group of people claiming to be SO interested in the "music,"
I have to say that by the example of people claiming the audible
effects of green pens and such, it seems they're interested FAR
more in the tweaks and equipment then in just LISTENING.

Sheesh and feh!

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
> [...]
Harry Lavo wrote:

=C2 The favorite strawman.=C2 My proposed control test has absolutely=

nothing
to =C2 do with *my* beliefs, opinions, or preferences.=C2 it compares=

a more
traditional audiophile way of evaluating components, but blinded, to =

the
=C2
same test conducted not blinded, and to your standard blind a-b test.=

=C2
The
=C2 only requirement is that the units under test do show *some*

statistical
=C2 difference in audio characteristics when rated by a couple of doz=

en =C2
audiophiles during sighted testing (using rating scales just as you d=

o in
=C2
your car audio=C2 evaluations).=C2 This has absolutely nothing to do =

with me
or
=C2 my preferences.

Nor does it have much to do with good test design. Your overcomplex

approach
would--and could--prove nothing. There are ways to test your "theory,"=

but
this is not one of them.

=20
Why don't you contribute constructively rather than destructively. Why=

don't you point out exactly how "this is not one of them" and how this =

"does
not have much to do with good test design" and then propose althernativ=

ways to test my theory. Since I posited the test we have heard nothing=

but
negatives from you.
=20

Objectivists: Elephants do not fly. There is no validated sighting of=20
flying elephants.

Sunjectivists: There is something wrong with the way we search for=20
flying elephants. Why don't you contribute constructively instead of=20
negatively? Why don't you come up with some experiments that can show=20
there are flying elephants?

Panzzi

chung wrote in :

Objectivists: Elephants do not fly. There is no validated sighting of
flying elephants.

Sunjectivists: There is something wrong with the way we search for
flying elephants. Why don't you contribute constructively instead of
negatively? Why don't you come up with some experiments that can show
there are flying elephants?

My questions a

If you can see it, is it real?

If you can hear it, is it real?

I mean, when we listen to music, we are enjoying music, not doing any
scientific experiment, it doesn't matter what kind of components we are
using, if we enjoy it, that is all that count.

Such as, I love my Martin Logan, I love the look of it, I love the sound
of it, but a lot of people think it is a piece of crap because the sound
is too... "unnautral" as quoted. But that would not affect my listening
pleasure.

So, if I claim my speaker cables makes my music sound better; if I claim
my power cord makes my music sound sweeter; if I claim my interconnect
makes my music sound detailer; if I claim my green pen makes my music
sound cleaner; I am right! Because that is how I feel, and nobody has the
right to say, you are wrong or that is rubbish, something like that.

I would like to thanks everyone that were feeding that many threads in
this subject, but I think it is going to long, it is time to stop. That
is a never ending debate because you are questioning somebody's own
feeling. It could be wrong in your sense, but... forget it.

And next time, when someone initial a cable question, could you please
stop jump in and start all these?

Period!

Panzzi
normanstrong

Harry Lavo wrote:

 The favorite strawman. My proposed control test has absolutely

nothing
to  do with *my* beliefs, opinions, or preferences. it compares a

more
traditional audiophile way of evaluating components, but blinded,

to the Â
same test conducted not blinded, and to your standard blind a-b

test. The
 only requirement is that the units under test do show *some*

statistical
 difference in audio characteristics when rated by a couple of

dozen Â
audiophiles during sighted testing (using rating scales just as you

do in Â
your car audio evaluations). This has absolutely nothing to do

with me or
 my preferences.

Nor does it have much to do with good test design. Your overcomplex

approach
would--and could--prove nothing. There are ways to test your

"theory," but
this is not one of them.

I think Harry has a good point, and I think it should be tested. Bob,
I think you should give a good explanation about how it would be
possible to test Harry's theory, and let's do it. Why keep arguing
when progress can be made with all on board.

I have an opinion as to what the results of such a test would be, but
if it's a good test, it shouldn't make any difference what that
opinion is. Good science doesn't depend on the attitude of the
experimenter.

Norm Strong

TonyP

Bob Marcus wrote:
TonyP wrote:

Bob Marcus wrote:

TonyP wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Bias of the first *could* influence the second test.

[...]

And why bother to reply? Everyone here has 'voiced' their opinions, I
did mine. It's worth just as much as anyone else's here....

You don't have to be "blinded" to hear a difference. Just listen and
be honest. If you are ever in the LI, NY area, let me know, for it is
repeatable. There is no contradiction except you choose not to accept
my results because of *your* bias. Who determines that "blinded" is a
better test?

Actually, that would be experts in human perception, who can be

found in
the psychology department of any accredited university in the country.
There are a few of those on Long Island. Look one up.

I stated that if you or anyone is in the LI, NY area, I will repeat it.

Sure you will. And it will still mean nothing.

To you, who has already made up your mind. Biased already.

Wife is a psychologist. Don't have to look one up.

Read it again. A clinical psychologist is NOT an expert in perception.
But if she took at least one course in perception, however, she might be
able to explain to you why we insist that blind tests are necessary to
confirm claims of audible difference. It would be a place for you to
start, at least.

I read it again. You mentioned me looking up a psyhologist. I am married
to one.
And, if you are ever in LI, NY area, stop by and listen for yourself. It
would be a place for you to start, at least.

Again, everyone has a bias, even myself. But, I am honest with what
*I* hear, or don't hear.

You've just contradicted yourself.

No I haven't.

Sure you have. Your first sentence ("Again, everyone has a bias, even
myself.") admits to a susceptibility to bias. Your second sentence
("But, I am honest with what *I* hear, or don't hear.") denies it. If
you really WERE honest with yourself, you'd admit that you cannot be
sure of what you heard, given the way you heard it.

I am sure what I heard. The bias I had was that the cheap Onkyo would
not stand a chance against the Carver or the Counterpoint. I was
surprised that the Onkyo sounded better than the Carver and was almost
indestinquishable from the Counterpoint. So, with my bias tilted towards
the Carver and Counterpoint, I was stunned. And, being honest, I had to
admit my surprise with the Onkyo.

Bob Marcus

Harry Lavo wrote:

Why don't you contribute constructively rather than destructively. Why
don't you point out exactly how "this is not one of them" and how this
"does
not have much to do with good test design" and then propose althernative
ways to test my theory. Since I posited the test we have heard nothing but
negatives from you.

I've criticized your "test" at length before, but here are the highlights:

1) You have no coherent, testable hypothesis.

2) You ask your subjects to do the impossible--namely, to conduct two
independent subjective evaluations of the same equipment. Can't be done.
Three's no way the first can't affect the second.

As for the right way to test your theory (that long-term evaluative
listening is more sensitive to sonic differences than an ABX test), a
simple, double-blind preference test would serve. Wouldn't give you the
results you want, but that's not my problem.

bob

S888Wheel

From: (Dick Pierce)
Date: 4/15/2004 8:12 PM Pacific Standard Time

(S888Wheel) wrote in message
[...]

Not really.

First, something appears green simply because there's enough of
a preponderance of green light to appear that way to the eye.
Take a look at the absorbtion spectra of any number of common
green pigments and you will find that the amount of VISIBLE
red light absorbed can be small and still the pigment appears
quite green.

Well, if I had said green pigment *completely* absorbs *all* red light you
would be right in correcting me.But I didn't. Nor did I imply it. As it stands
what I said is both technically accurate and accurate for practical purposes.To
the point, I wasn't wrong. So for a more detailed account; green pigment
absorbs red light substantially more than it reflects it or refracts it. The
exact proportions will vary with the specific pigment and the spectra of the
light. Dick, that's just too much to say. Is it fair to say you do not agree
with Stewert's claim that "green edge does *not* absorb red light?" If you
disagree with it then what I said was true. If you agree with it you are
mistaken along with Stewart.

Second, your assertion that green pigment absorbs red light,
while it may or may not be true to one degree or another is
IRRLEVANT becaue the laser is NOT red, it operates in the near
INFRARED.

It is quite relevant to Stewert's claim. I'll quote him again. "green edge does
*not* absorb red light"

I am afraid your complaint about the laser not being red is what's irrelevant.

Third, your assertion that green pigment absorbs red or even
infrared is IRRELVANT because the entire playback read system
of optical disks was design to operate locally, i.e., in the
region of the actual pit/land beeing read and is immune to
the edge scattering effects.

Again. I was only commenting on Stewert's assertion. I'll quote it again.
"green edge does *not* absorb red light" It does actually.

For such to be relevant, it would
require a return signal that is proximal in strength to the first
reflected level AND the reflected path would have to be EXACTLY
equal to an odd multiple of 1/2 wavelengths of the laser in order
to cause any change in the read data. Now, show us how such
scattered light could POSSIBLY have such a property when the
ONLY way it could get to an from the edge is by many thousands
reflections along the way (between bottom surface and reflected
layer, each time being scattered and diffused even further by
the remainder of the pits/lands).

For any of this to be relevant I would have had to comment on it. I didn't. I
commented on Stewert's small mistake. Nothing more nothing less.

It's bunkum. Pure and simple. Why not accept the fact and move
on?

Did you miss the part where I said to Stewert "While I agree with just about
all you said on the issue and I thought this explination for how green pens
work was posted as a joke'???? Seems pretty clear to me.

FOr a group of people claiming to be SO interested in the "music,"
I have to say that by the example of people claiming the audible
effects of green pens and such, it seems they're interested FAR
more in the tweaks and equipment then in just LISTENING.

Sheesh and feh!

I agree, sheesh and feh! I agree with the bulk of Stewert's post and correct
one mistake and this is what I get.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:33:57 GMT, TonyP
wrote:

Bob Marcus wrote:

TonyP wrote:

[...]

It will absolutely *not* be repeatable, if done blind. That is the
whole point, and has absolutely nothing to do with the character or
experience of the listeners.

[...]

In that case, you should ask her advice on the reliability of sighted
comparisons. She should be able to disabuse you of your notion that
because 'everyone heard it', it must have had a physical existence.

Again, everyone has a bias, even myself. But, I am honest with what
*I* hear, or don't hear.

You've just contradicted yourself.

No I haven't.

Yes you have - ask the wife!

Michael Scarpitti

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 15 Apr 2004 04:14:08 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

chung wrote in message

So it should be a slam dunk to tell them apart in a DBT, no? Just do

one!

You obviously have never heard a TA-N88B. This is a digital amp. It
has a completely different kind of presentation, wholly without the
kind of distortion that concentional transistors or tubes have.

It does however have other distortions of its own, which *may* be
audible. Note that no one is saying that it's impossible for you to
have heard differences with this amp, just that you have no way of
*knowing* that this was the case.

I am completely astonished at such a response. If I plug the leads
into this amp, and I hear astonishing clarity, and then switch back to
my old amp, and the 'astonishing clarity' disapperas, what am I to
conclude? That some genie has waved a magic wand right when I made the
switch?

It is almost certainly the case that
you had no chance of differentiating 7 amplifiers, but you seem unable
to accept this.

None of the 7 amps sounded the same. Each had a recognizable sonic
signature. In particular, the TA-N88B was so special that my
non-audiophile friend said 'wow'.

I note that you failed to address the question. Why
are you so afraid to *try* a blind test, which by your claims should
be easy for you?

It is obviously superfluous....

I am happy with my system as it is and plan on no upgrades for the
forseeable future.

Joseph Oberlander

chung wrote:
Objectivists: Elephants do not fly. There is no validated sighting of
flying elephants.
Sunjectivists: There is something wrong with the way we search for
flying elephants. Why don't you contribute constructively instead of
negatively? Why don't you come up with some experiments that can show
there are flying elephants?

Engineer: Based upon the mass and aerodynamics of the Elephant,
it would require a small jet engine to fly.
Bob Marcus

Panzzi wrote:

chung wrote in :

Objectivists: Elephants do not fly. There is no validated sighting of
flying elephants.

Sunjectivists: There is something wrong with the way we search for
flying elephants. Why don't you contribute constructively instead of
negatively? Why don't you come up with some experiments that can show
there are flying elephants?

My questions a

If you can see it, is it real?

Not necessarily, Think about optical illusions, and mirages.

If you can hear it, is it real?

And there are aural illusions as well. When you listen to a mono recording
on a stereo system, you hear the sound coming from between the two speakers.
Is that real? Of course not. There's nothing there to produce the sound.
Imaging and soundstage are illusions (and note that "illusion" isn't
necessarily a bad thing!). So is the frequently demonstrated illusion that
two literally identical sounds can seem different.

I mean, when we listen to music, we are enjoying music, not doing any
scientific experiment, it doesn't matter what kind of components we are
using, if we enjoy it, that is all that count.

Absolutely correct.

Such as, I love my Martin Logan, I love the look of it, I love the sound
of it, but a lot of people think it is a piece of crap because the sound
is too... "unnautral" as quoted. But that would not affect my listening
pleasure.

It's your preference, and the most cold-hearted objectivist here would agree
that your preference is sacrosanct.

So, if I claim my speaker cables makes my music sound better; if I claim
my power cord makes my music sound sweeter; if I claim my interconnect
makes my music sound detailer; if I claim my green pen makes my music
sound cleaner; I am right! Because that is how I feel, and nobody has the
right to say, you are wrong or that is rubbish, something like that.

So far, so good. Just don't try to take that any further, and you won't get
an argument. If you think using a green pen makes your music sound better,
then color away! But please don't try to claim, based on your experience,
that green pens actually work. And please, please, don't quote some horse
manure about green absorbing red light. That's when the conversation gets
nasty.

I would like to thanks everyone that were feeding that many threads in
this subject, but I think it is going to long, it is time to stop. That
is a never ending debate because you are questioning somebody's own
feeling. It could be wrong in your sense, but... forget it.

If you read the thread over, you'll see that we are not questioning people's
"feelings." We are questioning the conclusions they draw from those
feelings, and the pseudoscience they cite in defense of those conclusions.
That may seem like a subtle decision, but it's a real one.

As for the length of this thread, the moderators' patience has surprised me.
Perhaps the presence of some new voices has led them to resist shutting the
conversation down too soon. But I suspect the end is nigh...

bob

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring

Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx
chung

Panzzi wrote:
chung wrote in :

Objectivists: Elephants do not fly. There is no validated sighting of
flying elephants.

Sunjectivists: There is something wrong with the way we search for
flying elephants. Why don't you contribute constructively instead of
negatively? Why don't you come up with some experiments that can show
there are flying elephants?

My questions a

If you can see it, is it real?

If you can hear it, is it real?

If you cannot hear it when you do not know the identity of what you are
listening, how real is it to you?

I mean, when we listen to music, we are enjoying music, not doing any
scientific experiment, it doesn't matter what kind of components we are
using, if we enjoy it, that is all that count.

We have always said preference is personal and sacrosanct. No sense
debating preferences.

Such as, I love my Martin Logan, I love the look of it, I love the sound
of it, but a lot of people think it is a piece of crap because the sound
is too... "unnautral" as quoted. But that would not affect my listening
pleasure.

So, if I claim my speaker cables makes my music sound better; if I claim
my power cord makes my music sound sweeter; if I claim my interconnect
makes my music sound detailer; if I claim my green pen makes my music
sound cleaner; I am right! Because that is how I feel, and nobody has the
right to say, you are wrong or that is rubbish, something like that.

Of course, anyone can say that you are imagining that you hear those
differences, since those differences go away in controlled testing, and
there is no physical basis to explain those differences.

If you are saying that green pens do produce a different sound, of
course someone can say it is rubbish.

If someone claims that elephants can fly, do you think that nobody has
the right to say that is rubbish?

I would like to thanks everyone that were feeding that many threads in
this subject, but I think it is going to long, it is time to stop. That
is a never ending debate because you are questioning somebody's own
feeling.

You are not getting it. We are not questioning what you like, or even
what you think you hear. We are telling you that if you are careful in
your listening tests, you may not be able to tell those differences.
Hence your preference may not be based on sound alone. That's all.

It could be wrong in your sense, but... forget it.

And next time, when someone initial a cable question, could you please
stop jump in and start all these?

Hmmm, it seems like you jumped in, too .

Period!

Panzzi

Bob Marcus

TonyP wrote:

snip

* You don't have to be "blinded" to hear a difference. Just listen

and
be honest. If you are ever in the LI, NY area, let me know, for it

is
repeatable. There is no contradiction except you choose not to

accept
my results because of *your* bias. Who determines that "blinded" is

better test?

Actually, that would be experts in human perception, who can be
found in
the psychology department of any accredited university in the

country.
There are a few of those on Long Island. Look one up.

I stated that if you or anyone is in the LI, NY area, I will repeat it.

Sure you will. And it will still mean nothing.

To you, who has already made up your mind. Biased already.

Yes, but not in the way you think. I am subject to the same illusions you
are, and so I am also likely to hear differences just as you did, even if
they are only imaginary. That's what makes sighted tests meaningless.

But thanks for the invite.

bob

JL

wrote:

Bob Marcus wrote:

TonyP wrote:

[...]

Seems to me the conclusion to be drawn here is that this anecdotal
"evidence" presented is valid only for those who actually experienced
it. No generalization to anyone who was "not there", no proof of
anything. Just an uninformed expression of an unscientific
observation, completely valid for those who participated, and invalid
for anyone else.

Given that, one has to wonder what the point of the post is?
Certainly not to convince anyone else of the "general" validity of the
results, since they are, by definition "generally" invalid to anyone
not a participant.

auplater

TonyP

wrote:

Bob Marcus wrote:

TonyP wrote:

[...]

Yes it would. Blindfolded or not. I would be able to tell when a
different amp (of the ones that I own) are put into the chain, unless it
was the Counterpoint/Onkyo switch.

The virtue of blind tests is that they remove these factors from
consideration. Thus, you can repeat a blind test, either with the same
subjects or with different ones.

I never claimed that my "anecdote evidentially" superior. That is your
statement, not mine. I claim no superiority in testing, listening,
measuring, anything. Just reporting the experience. That is all. And,
unless you were there, you either accept or don't accept the results.
But, you can not deny my personal experience or those that were there.

No one denied your experience. Some questioned the significance of it,
for very good reasons.

There is no significance to it at all. Just passing on an experience
that is repeatable with the equipment that I have. Not hard to do.

It will absolutely *not* be repeatable, if done blind.

It would absolutely *be* repeatable if done blind.

You don't have to be "blinded" to hear a difference. Just listen and
be honest. If you are ever in the LI, NY area, let me know, for it is
repeatable. There is no contradiction except you choose not to accept
my results because of *your* bias. Who determines that "blinded" is a
better test?

Actually, that would be experts in human perception, who can be found in
the psychology department of any accredited university in the country.
There are a few of those on Long Island. Look one up.

I stated that if you or anyone is in the LI, NY area, I will repeat it.
Wife is a psychologist. Don't have to look one up.

In that case, you should ask her advice on the reliability of sighted
comparisons. She should be able to disabuse you of your notion that
because 'everyone heard it', it must have had a physical existence.

Really. You are more than welcome to come and visit me in LI, NY for
yourself and hear.

Again, everyone has a bias, even myself. But, I am honest with what
*I* hear, or don't hear.

You've just contradicted yourself.

No I haven't.

Yes you have - ask the wife!

No I haven't. You managed to snip the rest of the reply didn't you.

"I am sure what I heard. The bias I had was that the cheap Onkyo would
not stand a chance against the Carver or the Counterpoint. I was
surprised that the Onkyo sounded better than the Carver and was almost
indestinquishable from the Counterpoint. So, with my bias tilted towards
the Carver and Counterpoint, I was stunned. And, being honest, I had to
admit my surprise with the Onkyo."

The genie exists in the perception process, not in the amps. Your claim
to be an exception to listening tests showing results near the level of
guessing first need to be established. This will test the proposition of
the location of the genie. Your responce that you are not purchasing an
amp soon is a red herring as you have repeatably asserted a more general
theory about the "different" sound of amps. Do the qualifying test for
location of a genie and then we can look at amps if your results are not
near the level of gussing also and theat you are indeed an exception to
listening tests.

"I am completely astonished at such a response. If I plug the leads
into this amp, and I hear astonishing clarity, and then switch back to
my old amp, and the 'astonishing clarity' disapperas, what am I to
conclude? That some genie has waved a magic wand right when I made the
switch?
"

Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

Why don't you contribute constructively rather than destructively. Why
don't you point out exactly how "this is not one of them" and how this
"does
not have much to do with good test design" and then propose althernative
ways to test my theory. Since I posited the test we have heard nothing

but
negatives from you.

I've criticized your "test" at length before, but here are the highlights:

1) You have no coherent, testable hypothesis.

Sure I do. It is that blinding per se, when done on an relaxed,
longer-term, evaluative basis, is not likely to change the results of
sighted listening done under the same conditions. But that the switch to
blind a-b testing, or a-b-x testing will tend the results toward null
because of ear-brain confusion. The control test is set up *exactly* to
separate the two things.

2) You ask your subjects to do the impossible--namely, to conduct two
independent subjective evaluations of the same equipment. Can't be done.
Three's no way the first can't affect the second.

Absolutely not, one evaluative sighted test and one evaluative blind test
per subject...that's why several dozen subjects are required. Then a 16
trial run for each person using Tom's traditional A-B or A-B-X test.

As for the right way to test your theory (that long-term evaluative
listening is more sensitive to sonic differences than an ABX test), a
simple, double-blind preference test would serve. Wouldn't give you the
results you want, but that's not my problem.

No it will not...it presumes the test is already validated. That's the
purpose of this whole "control" test...to find out if it is valid and gives
the same results...with the effects of "blinding" separated from the change
in test technique.

chung

Scarpitti) wrote:

chung wrote in message

So it should be a slam dunk to tell them apart in a DBT, no? Just do
one!

You obviously have never heard a TA-N88B. This is a digital amp. It
has a completely different kind of presentation, wholly without the
kind of distortion that concentional transistors or tubes have.

It does however have other distortions of its own, which *may* be
audible. Note that no one is saying that it's impossible for you to
have heard differences with this amp, just that you have no way of
*knowing* that this was the case.

I am completely astonished at such a response. If I plug the leads
into this amp, and I hear astonishing clarity, and then switch back to
my old amp, and the 'astonishing clarity' disapperas, what am I to
conclude? That some genie has waved a magic wand right when I made the
switch?

You still have not answered this. If the differences are so obvious, why
not do a DBT to prove that the differences are real?

I can raise the level by a few dB, and you will hear astonishing
clarity. From any competent amp.

It is almost certainly the case that
you had no chance of differentiating 7 amplifiers, but you seem unable
to accept this.

None of the 7 amps sounded the same. Each had a recognizable sonic
signature. In particular, the TA-N88B was so special that my
non-audiophile friend said 'wow'.

Well, anytime you tell someone you have a new amp, and play it a little
lounder, your friend will say "wow".

I note that you failed to address the question. Why
are you so afraid to *try* a blind test, which by your claims should
be easy for you?

It is obviously superfluous....

So it will give positive results in controlled blind tests, no? Have
someone help you conduct a level-matched blind test, and see if the
differences are still there that someone deaf and blind can hear it.

I am happy with my system as it is and plan on no upgrades for the
forseeable future.

Well, there is still that claim that you have failed to back up...

Steven Sullivan

Panzzi wrote:
chung wrote in :

Objectivists: Elephants do not fly. There is no validated sighting of
flying elephants.

Sunjectivists: There is something wrong with the way we search for
flying elephants. Why don't you contribute constructively instead of
negatively? Why don't you come up with some experiments that can show
there are flying elephants?

My questions a

If you can see it, is it real?

Not always. Cf optical illusions, hallucinations

If you can hear it, is it real?

Not always. Cf phantom switch comparisons, hallucinations

So, if I claim my speaker cables makes my music sound better;

It's no different from saying that using them makes you feel better. But
any claims about changes it makes to the sound waves emanating from the
speakers, are unsupported by this report.

if I claim
my power cord makes my music sound sweeter; if I claim my interconnect
makes my music sound detailer; if I claim my green pen makes my music
sound cleaner; I am right! Because that is how I feel, and nobody has the
right to say, you are wrong or that is rubbish, something like that.

If I claim that washing the headlights of my car makes it run faster, am
I right?

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Ban

Panzzi wrote:
chung wrote in
:

Objectivists: Elephants do not fly. There is no validated sighting of
flying elephants.

Sunjectivists: There is something wrong with the way we search for
flying elephants. Why don't you contribute constructively instead of
negatively? Why don't you come up with some experiments that can show
there are flying elephants?

My questions a

If you can see it, is it real?

In a dream you can see quite well, is it real?

If you can hear it, is it real?

Even less reliable, because the hearing is not so clear. It is a very
diffuse sense. Even our biggest organ, the skin is more refined in its
signals, cold/hot, strong/gentle touch, very clear. The hearing depends on
the mood, on the situation, the environment, the company etc. We might love
one music, but if we listen with a friend who doesn't like it, we cannot
enjoy...

I mean, when we listen to music, we are enjoying music, not doing any
scientific experiment, it doesn't matter what kind of components we
are using, if we enjoy it, that is all that count.

Such as, I love my Martin Logan, I love the look of it, I love the
sound of it, but a lot of people think it is a piece of crap because
the sound is too... "unnautral" as quoted. But that would not affect
my listening pleasure.

So, if I claim my speaker cables makes my music sound better; if I
claim my power cord makes my music sound sweeter; if I claim my
interconnect makes my music sound detailer; if I claim my green pen
makes my music sound cleaner; I am right! Because that is how I feel,
and nobody has the right to say, you are wrong or that is rubbish,
something like that.

The reason people respond to this kind of hallucination with the truth is to
plant the seed of doubt in the mind of the self-deceived. First he will
defend his belief, but slowly he realizes he has been fooling himself. We
all have been there and I'm thankful to those that told me the truth. It is
not only so with the sound gear, but a general attitude in life to see
things as they are and to drop as many prejudices as possible.

I would like to thanks everyone that were feeding that many threads in
this subject, but I think it is going to long, it is time to stop.
That is a never ending debate because you are questioning somebody's
own feeling. It could be wrong in your sense, but... forget it.

And next time, when someone initial a cable question, could you please
stop jump in and start all these?

Period!

Panzzi

It will also help you to enter a higher level of understanding. And evolving
your consciousness this way you can reach even higher hights of pleasure. We
use only 5-10% of our brain capacity, so there is more to gain...

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Dick Pierce

Panzzi wrote in message ...

If you can hear it, is it real?

If you hear the timpani between two stereo speakers, is the sound
real and between the two speakers?

If you put a pair of headphones on and hear a voice between your
ears, is it real?

If a schizophrenic hears voices, are they real? (indeed, there's
evidence that the auditory portion of the brain is quite active
in such cases: does that evidence make it even MORE real?)

The answer in every one of these questions is, no, it is not
"real" because there is no timpani located between the speakers,
there's no one in the head speaking.

You've just decided to buy into the rather cheap illusion of stereo,
and there are some that are simply pointing out that it IS an
illusion, and others seem to be very unconfortable with that
fact, and want the rest of us to affirm the reality of their
illusions.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:35:05 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 15 Apr 2004 04:14:08 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

chung wrote in message

So it should be a slam dunk to tell them apart in a DBT, no? Just do
one!

You obviously have never heard a TA-N88B. This is a digital amp. It
has a completely different kind of presentation, wholly without the
kind of distortion that concentional transistors or tubes have.

It does however have other distortions of its own, which *may* be
audible. Note that no one is saying that it's impossible for you to
have heard differences with this amp, just that you have no way of
*knowing* that this was the case.

I am completely astonished at such a response.

In that case, you must have completely ignored all the posts in this
thread, aside from your own. It must be said that your continued
intransigence makes that quite credible.

If I plug the leads
into this amp, and I hear astonishing clarity, and then switch back to
my old amp, and the 'astonishing clarity' disapperas, what am I to
conclude? That some genie has waved a magic wand right when I made the
switch?

You are to conclude that there *may* be a difference, or there may
not. Further investigation is indicated, with bias controls in place.

It is almost certainly the case that
you had no chance of differentiating 7 amplifiers, but you seem unable
to accept this.

None of the 7 amps sounded the same. Each had a recognizable sonic
signature. In particular, the TA-N88B was so special that my
non-audiophile friend said 'wow'.

This is mere conjecture on your part. We've heard all this before,
many times.

I note that you failed to address the question. Why
are you so afraid to *try* a blind test, which by your claims should
be easy for you?

It is obviously superfluous....

Given that not one single person has ever been able to do what you
claim in a blind test, that is a very arrogant statement.

I am happy with my system as it is and plan on no upgrades for the
forseeable future.

I have no problem with that, but it's irrelevant to your extraordinary
claim.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 04:56:33 GMT, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message

I've criticized your "test" at length before, but here are the highlights:

1) You have no coherent, testable hypothesis.

Sure I do. It is that blinding per se, when done on an relaxed,
longer-term, evaluative basis, is not likely to change the results of
sighted listening done under the same conditions. But that the switch to
blind a-b testing, or a-b-x testing will tend the results toward null
because of ear-brain confusion. The control test is set up *exactly* to
separate the two things.

You are contradicting yourself, since there is absolutely nothing to
prevent an ABX test being carried out on a relaxed, long-term basis.

normanstrong

As for the right way to test your theory (that long-term
evaluative
listening is more sensitive to sonic differences than an ABX

test), a
simple, double-blind preference test would serve. Wouldn't give

you the
results you want, but that's not my problem.

No it will not...it presumes the test is already validated. That's

the
purpose of this whole "control" test...to find out if it is valid

and gives
the same results...with the effects of "blinding" separated from the

change
in test technique.

There's almost no chance of any blind cable test giving the same
results as a sighted one. What is at issue here is what conclusions
can be drawn from that fact. My guess is that Harry will claim that
such results show that blind testing is useless, since it gives null
results. On the other hand, null results is exactly what I would
expect, and what all blind cable tests have produced--so far.

It would be a lot more fun to compare 2 speakers whose differences are
great enough to give a reasonable expectation of interesting results
when tested blind. I would suggest speakers of about the same size
and type of design, but wildly different prices and presumed quality.
The comparison should be done blind first, then sighted. Evaluations
should be written, using language understandable by the public at
large, and with no communication between different listeners. Along
with the evaluation, there should be an opportunity to guess the MSRP;
usually good for a laugh. By eliminating quick switching we make the
test simpler to run and more satisfactory to the subjective
audiophiles in the group.

Norm Strong
Bob Marcus

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Well, no, it's far too complex to do this job. If you want to compare two
tests, with only sightedness as the variable, then you certainly don't need
THREE tests. A bigger problem is that there is no way statistically to
compare the multiplicity of results you would get using the evaluation
approach you propose. That's the virtue of the preference test I
proposed--there are only two possible answers. Whereas, if you ask
audiophiles to "evaluate" components based on, say, ten either-or criteria
(a la Oohashi, who I believe is your model here), each subject has 1,024
possible answers. How do you tell whether his sighted answers match his
blind answers? There's no meaningful statistical standard, nor is there any
way of determining--without a huge amount of research--whether the criteria
are themselves independent, which would be another requirement.

2) You ask your subjects to do the impossible--namely, to conduct two
independent subjective evaluations of the same equipment. Can't be done.
Three's no way the first can't affect the second.

Absolutely not, one evaluative sighted test and one evaluative blind test
per subject...that's why several dozen subjects are required.*

Can't be done. Subjects will recall their sighted evaluations when they do
their blind ones, so instead of the latter being an independent evaluation,
all they'll be doing is trying to match their previous evaluations to the
two components they are listening to now.

The other advantage of my proposed preference test is that it leaves the
subject free to listen however he wants, just as your theory ought to
demand. Whereas you want to impose an artificial "scorecard evaluation,"
which may be nothing like that subject's actual practice.

Then a 16
trial run for each person using Tom's traditional A-B or A-B-X test.

As I said above, if your goal is to compare sighted to blind evaluative
approaches, this step is unnecessary.

As for the right way to test your theory (that long-term evaluative
listening is more sensitive to sonic differences than an ABX test), a
simple, double-blind preference test would serve. Wouldn't give you the
results you want, but that's not my problem.

No it will not...it presumes the test is already validated.* That's the
purpose of this whole "control" test...to find out if it is valid and gives
the same results...with the effects of "blinding" separated from the change
in test technique.

I think you'll see that my longer proposal does exactly what you ask--it
compares sighted results to blind results using exactly the same listening
method, to see if they give the same results. And, unlike you, I have
defined statistically what "same" means.

bob

Bruce Abrams

"TonyP" wrote in message
*snip*
Yes it is. Considering you were not there, it amazes me how you can come
to that conclusion. You don't know the test subjects backgrounds, so you
can not make that assertation on their prior knowledge. And yes, their
knowledge and opinions are affected. They knew what they heard. And it
is, again, repeatable.

It will absolutely *not* be repeatable, if done blind. That is the
whole point, and has absolutely nothing to do with the character or
experience of the listeners.

Yes it would. Blindfolded or not. I would be able to tell when a
different amp (of the ones that I own) are put into the chain, unless it
was the Counterpoint/Onkyo switch.

You'll never know unless you try it blindfolded.

*snip*
There is no significance to it at all. Just passing on an experience
that is repeatable with the equipment that I have. Not hard to do.

It will absolutely *not* be repeatable, if done blind.

It would absolutely *be* repeatable if done blind.

Since no one has yet been able to repeat such results during a blind test,
this would be most interesting to observe.

*snip*

Again, everyone has a bias, even myself. But, I am honest with what
*I* hear, or don't hear.

You've just contradicted yourself.

No I haven't.

Yes you have - ask the wife!

No I haven't. You managed to snip the rest of the reply didn't you.

"I am sure what I heard. The bias I had was that the cheap Onkyo would
not stand a chance against the Carver or the Counterpoint. I was
surprised that the Onkyo sounded better than the Carver and was almost
indestinquishable from the Counterpoint. So, with my bias tilted towards
the Carver and Counterpoint, I was stunned. And, being honest, I had to
admit my surprise with the Onkyo."

The bias that you had was a clear presupposition that the amps would sound
different, and guess what? They did when you could see them. It's entirely
possible, and highly likely, in fact that such differences would disappear
completely under blind listening conditions. You should try it to see.
Harry Lavo

wrote:

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message

I've criticized your "test" at length before, but here are the

highlights:

1) You have no coherent, testable hypothesis.

Sure I do. It is that blinding per se, when done on an relaxed,
longer-term, evaluative basis, is not likely to change the results of
sighted listening done under the same conditions. But that the switch to
blind a-b testing, or a-b-x testing will tend the results toward null
because of ear-brain confusion. The control test is set up *exactly* to
separate the two things.

You are contradicting yourself, since there is absolutely nothing to
prevent an ABX test being carried out on a relaxed, long-term basis.

But as a practical matter they are not. In fact Tom purposely restricts his
evaluation disk to 20 second snippets. Also, they are "comparison" tests
rather than evaluative tests, which tend to put the emphasis on switching,
not on listening in depth.

Michael Scarpitti

Scarpitti) wrote:

chung wrote in message

[...]

There is nothing to be gained, that's why! The differences are so
dramatic that it is not worth my time.....

I can raise the level by a few dB, and you will hear astonishing
clarity. From any competent amp.

It is almost certainly the case that
you had no chance of differentiating 7 amplifiers, but you seem unable
to accept this.

None of the 7 amps sounded the same. Each had a recognizable sonic
signature. In particular, the TA-N88B was so special that my
non-audiophile friend said 'wow'.

Well, anytime you tell someone you have a new amp, and play it a little
lounder, your friend will say "wow".

That's not the case. You were not there. I reapeat and insist that the
Sony TA-N88B amp is so much clearer than other amps that anyone who
spends more than 3 seconds listening will notice it.

MIKE

I submitted this a few days ago but got no response from the moderators.
I tried a test myself. I have two Marantz CD players - a 63 and a 67.
I have the 63 sitting on an invalid "donut" for isolation and the
digital output goes through a Canare digital cable to a DIP jitter
buster. From there via a high quality digital cable to a MSB link D-A
converter. This is connected to my Apt-Holman preamp using Kimber PBJ
cable. The preamp is connected to an Apt 1 power amp through Kimber PBJ
cable. The other Marantz (67) is connected to another input on the
preamp using generic RCA wires. I took a CD that I had two copies of
and synced and level matched them. I listened - switching between the
two setups using both earphones (AKG) and speakers (DBX Soundfield
ones). I could not hear any difference of any kind. I wish now that
instead of spending money on the extra components and expensive cables,
I had used it to buy more CDs. I think that all this bickering about
cables is silly. Just blowing your nose too hard changes the sound more
than fancy wire.

-MIKE
Steven Sullivan

Harry Lavo wrote:
Then you haven't been paying attention. Here is what I have said
(repeatedly) in a nutshell.

1) The main problem I have with double-blind is its tremendous
impracticality in actual use in the home.

2) The main problem I have with Tom's DBT a-b and a-b-x tests is that they
force the ear-brain into a short-term comparative mode, versus the long term
evaluative mode used by audiophiles (listen at several times under several
conditions to each unit, sometimes compare rapidly to listen to a specific
effect, then go back to evaluative listening, etc.). I posit that this is
allows the right brain as well as the left brain to "weigh in". I believe
DBT comparisons are okay *if you know what specific sonic artifac you are
listening for". Not for open ended testing where you don't know going in
what you are listening for. This, I posit, is when confusion sets in and
all you can hear are obvious volume or frequency response differences.

But this purely hypothetical 'problem' , which has no *positive* evidence
in its support, is in any case of NO CONSEQUENCE if one, such as
yourself, has *already* identified two components as being different, under
*your* preferred, sighted, comparative mode -- which as you say, is the *typical*
comparative mode for audiophiles. In this case, one has already
identified and desribed to oneself, the characteristic 'sound' of each component.
One 'knows' what to listen for.

*All* that is required at this point, therefore, is to present the
two components under blinded conditions, to that person.
If they have 'memorized' a real difference, then there should be no problem
whatever in identifyimg it under such conditions. If you insist
that the blind comparison be 'long term' and involve 'ratings' or
whatever, fine. Just make sure it's blind.

Tests like the ones Tom Nousaine conducted on Steve Zipser involved a listener who
*already* claimed to 'know' the difference between two components, from
sighted experience. He 'knew' what to listen for. He 'knew' what
his preferred amplifier sounded like. Or so he thought.

Given your dogged advocacy of a so far entirely speculative set of
psychological/cognitive problems with 'forced' comparison,
I propose again that you offer *yourself*, and a pair of components you ALREADY
believe sound different, from your experience with them, as a test case
for YOUR hypotheses. From your posts it appears there must be at
least two cables or amps you already have evaluated, and believe to
sound different.