Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gerhard Gerhard is offline

Default Pots - Bushing size - Resolved

I thought I'd move my final post in this thread to the top, since the thread
is probably out of active reading range by now.
The part about the amps increase in performance with the new volume control
might be of interest to other people.
Since the deterioration is so gradual over a long period of time, it is hard
to notice it until the control fails completely and is replaced.
There is another thread about the balance being way off at low volume, and
that was certainly true in my case as well. I never suspected the volume
control, since I mostly listened at that same low volume.

I would appreciate any feedback on THL Audio, I just got a Christmas card
from them. I leave you with my own wishes for Happy Holidays,
Gerhard

Richard and Graham,
Ok, that went very well. I installed the stock volume control from Radio
Shack (271-1732), which ironically is also made by Alps.
No problems with the shaft, since it is 1/4". And you were right, Richard,
the smaller bushing was not problem, the included washer took care of it. I
did have to drill another hole for the locating tab, since this is a smaller
control, 5/8 in diameter instead of the old 7/8".
The big surprise is how well it works in the circuit even though it is a
100K value instead of the original 250K ohms. What the fellow on one of the
forums said about the loudness tap being wrong also turned out to be not
true. It works as it always did, if not better.
What is also now clear is that the old control was broken for a long time, a
long time before my grandson pushed it past zero.
I have not heard music like this in a very long time, and it seems it was
the volume control that caused all the problems that I attributed to the pre
and power amp circuits and transistors. (and wasted a lot of time on trying
to locate)
The highs are absolutely brilliant now, and the sound is very well balanced
all around, not mushy and off center as it used to be.
Nonetheless, I have sent an inquiry to THL Audio in Taiwan for an Alps
RK27112A control, hopefully with the right value and a tap. They also carry
Noble and other European manufacturers.
Has anyone dealt with them, are they trustworthy? (they want the credit
card information via fax)
Gerhard

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Gerhard" wrote ...
Richard,
What you are saying makes sense. Mounting can probably be
accomplished, but
an off-center knob would truly be disturbing. So the answer is
different
thickness foil?

You could try wrapping the end of the shaft with
aluminum foil to build up the diameter, but better
would be to use "shim stock" which is typically
brass or some semi-soft metal which is available
in a wide range of thicknesses.

Not to mention the flat part for the set screw to sit against.

You might even need to get a slightly longer set-
screw (aka. "grub-screw")

Is Alps still the top of the line? I noticed they are
getting scarce too,

They may be "top of the line" of what is left?
I always thought that things like the Clarostat
RV4, etc. series of molded pots were more
"top of the line" than the stamped-metal things
from Alps. YMMV

Pots - Bushing size Gerhard Tech 17 December 17th 06 09:42 PM
volume and tone pots nweststeyn Pro Audio 24 February 23rd 06 05:20 AM
what is the minimum size of a listening room (stereo music)? [email protected] Audio Opinions 8 February 26th 05 05:34 AM
Power transformer wire size Zenon Vacuum Tubes 2 May 27th 04 04:29 AM
Decca tree size - related to room size? hollywood_steve Pro Audio 5 August 30th 03 02:03 PM