Posted to rec.audio.pro
uomoanguria uomoanguria is offline

Default Problems recording MIDI with Nuendo

Hello,
I need help! I have Nuendo 3.2 with an Edirol FA-101 soundcard, and I
can't record MIDI! Everytime I try to record a MIDI track either of the
following 3 things happen:
1) I can record, but if I stop and re-record I can't anymore.
2) I see (and hear) the notes that I play, but they immediately snap to
the beginning of the track
3) I hear the notes, but nothing at all happens
Usually I can record something immediately after I open a song. If,
say, I create two MIDI tracks there's no possibility to record
something on one, and then something on the other. I usually have to
quit Nuendo and restart it, and then I can record another *single*
take.
I found this thread on Nuendo forum:
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtop...ht=record+midi

but I haven't understood the solution very well...
Should I really get another MIDI interface? Or have I messed up
something in Nuendo configuration?
Thanks in advance,
UA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

uomoanguria wrote:
[...]

Call Steinberg Tech Support.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
lm lm is offline

Supposing you run Windows XP, are you using SP1 ?

Some sound cards (old Presonus for instance) use to have this kind of
problems with SP1.
Going to SP2 seems solving the problem.

Laurent.

Romeo Rondeau ha scritto:

uomoanguria wrote:
Hello,
I need help! I have Nuendo 3.2 with an Edirol FA-101 soundcard, and I
can't record MIDI! Everytime I try to record a MIDI track either of the
following 3 things happen:

Posted to rec.audio.pro
lm lm is offline

And as said in your link's thread : install the last released drivers for
your FA-101.

Laurent.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
uomoanguria uomoanguria is offline

As far as I know, the latest release for Fa-101 is the 1.0... :-(
http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...2&ParentId=114
I really don't know...

lm ha scritto:

And as said in your link's thread : install the last released drivers for
your FA-101.

Laurent.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

lm ha scritto:

Supposing you run Windows XP, are you using SP1 ?

Some sound cards (old Presonus for instance) use to have this kind of
problems with SP1.
Going to SP2 seems solving the problem.

Laurent.

I already have SP2 on XP Home. I used to have Logic and no problem
recording MIDI, and the same for Sibelius. Only Nuendo seems to have
this bug. Could it be Nuendo? Or some setting?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

lm ha scritto:

Supposing you run Windows XP, are you using SP1 ?

Some sound cards (old Presonus for instance) use to have this kind of
problems with SP1.
Going to SP2 seems solving the problem.

Laurent.

I already have SP2 on XP Home. I used to have Logic and no problem
recording MIDI, and the same for Sibelius. Only Nuendo seems to have
this bug. Could it be Nuendo? Or some device setting?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

uomoanguria wrote:
Not very useful reply in fact... :-(
other suggestions?

Have you already called them?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9 Dec 2006 14:59:57 -0800, "uomoanguria"
wrote:

I found this thread on Nuendo forum:
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtop...ht=record+midi

but I haven't understood the solution very well...

Did it suggest you looked into ignore_port_filter and the emulated
ports issue? I suggest you persist until you DO understand it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I found this thread on Nuendo forum:
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtop...ht=record+midi

but I haven't understood the solution very well...

Did it suggest you looked into ignore_port_filter and the emulated
ports issue? I suggest you persist until you DO understand it.

I've found a number of threads about the "ignoreportfilter" and
"enableemulated" files (by the way in my "midi port enabler" folder
ther was only the second file and I had to create "ignoreportfilter"
maually), and all of them refer either to Cubase SX or to Nuendo
1.5/2.0. I have tried to follow those suggestions anyway, and the
results a
1) created the "ignoreportfilter" file and moved it to the main Nuendo
folder. I still couldn't record no MIDI at all (and couldn't hear any
sound), but I could see all the MIDI devices doubled (one wit the
[emulated] tag).
2) OK, "ignoreportfilter" re-moved to the subfolder, extracted
"enableemulated". Result: now I can record MIDI but with a lot of
errors, bad timing, held notes etc., plus I can't see the "real" MIDI
device, but only the emulated ones.
3) Last try: extract both "ignoreportfilter" AND "enableemulated".
Nothing works, exactly like in case 1).
As you can see, I tried to understand the issues about port emulation
and port filter, but looks like something is missing... I don't want to
bother you if you already responded a zillion times to problems like
this, but please show me an appropriate thread!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
uomoanguria uomoanguria is offline

I've found a number of threads about the "ignoreportfilter" and
"enableemulated" files (by the way in my "midi port enabler" folder
ther was only the second file and I had to create "ignoreportfilter"
maually), and all of them refer either to Cubase SX or to Nuendo
1.5/2.0. I have tried to follow those suggestions anyway, and the
results a

According to another thread, the file "ignoreportfilter" has an .xml
extension. Is it true? I've tried to add the extension and put the file
in the main folder and now exerything seems to work, except that I only
can hear music via a VSTi and not with, say, my Edirol's MIDI out.
Just a step forward?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz Lorin David Schultz is offline

uomoanguria wrote:

Not very useful reply in fact... :-(

Which reply was not useful, Romeo's or Steinberg's? Romeo's advice
was excellent. Have you even tried asking Steinberg? If not, why
not?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

Posted to rec.audio.pro

uomoanguria wrote:
Not very useful reply in fact... :-(

Which reply was not useful, Romeo's or Steinberg's? Romeo's advice
was excellent. Have you even tried asking Steinberg? If not, why
not?

You pay for tech support in the price of the product. You may still have
to have your serial number handy when you get them on the phone, I
haven't called them since version 1.0, though. Nobody will know the
product from a troubleshooting standpoint better than them, although the
forum used to be great (haven't been there in years, either.) As I
recall, I have had good luck with them supporting their products. I
needed them twice, once for Nuendo for a sample accurate sync issue and
once for Cubase on a MIDI issue (Hey, I was switching from Studio Vision
to Cubase and man was I one confused individual!) and both times, they
tracked down the problem and both times it was MOTU's fault :-) They
found a workaround for the first problem and I ditched my MOTU MIDI
interface for another brand for the second problem. Painless compared to
some problems I've had. I would really be surprised if they couldn't
help at all.