Mr.T

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
I would prefer a digital system to have much less noise

and
distortion than 30ips tape.

I would prefer it to sound as good as 30ips tape.

Why would you want to reduce the perfomance by that much?
It shouldn't be too hard though to reduce the LF response, add noise, add
distortion, and add wow and flutter if you really must!

MrT.

Arny Krueger

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
I would prefer a digital system to have much less noise
and
distortion than 30ips tape.

I would prefer it to sound as good as 30ips tape.

Why would you want to reduce the perfomance by that much?

Good question.

As we all know, just about any properly-operating CD player
has good response down to 20 Hz and often far lower,
sometimes down to just a few Hz. But Harry says that to him
a 30 IPS tape has better bass than any CD player.

I referenced Harry to an authoritative online document that
shows how 30 ips tape rolls off the bass below 60 Hz. This
is also a well-known deficiency of high speed tape. It is
one reason why 15 ips is more widely used.

Harry then volunteered that his speakers respond down to
like 25 Hz.

Since he loves 30 ips tape so much and obviously isn't
hearing the loss of bass below 60 Hz, he clearly isn't able
to hear a rather pronounced bass roll-off, even though he
has speakers that should allow him to easily hear the rather
big loss of deep bass.

I seem to be pointed in the direction of concluding that
Harry's hearing is too far gone to hear a strong bass
roll-off below 60 Hz.

It shouldn't be too hard though to reduce the LF response,

add
noise, add distortion, and add wow and flutter if you

really must!

Indeed. Harry is also a vinylphile, and that indicates a
strong insensitivity to jitter, other kinds of speed errors,
and quite a bit of noise.

We are thus forced to conclude that either Harry's hearing
is so bad that he doesn't hear all this garbage, or that he
does hear the garbage but really likes the sound quality
imparted by poor frequency response, noise and distortion.

Very sad!