Richard Kuschel

Default amplifier power

My current Sony amp is on its last legs with "PROTECT" in the display
a regular occurance. My question relates to the 100w + 100w specified
in stereo mode. I rarely have the volume knob past 1/4 travel and
wonder if I need this amount of power for the replacement.

I am interested in moving to a smaller form factor receiver - the
panasonic SA-XR15 - which is specified as 40W per channel. Does this
mean to get the same volume effect in my house I will need to increase
the control to near its maximum? If this is the case what will be the
impact on the Rx itself? Will it have any detrimental effect?

Thanks

Simon

The difference between 40 Watts and 100 Watts is only slightly over 3dB
(assuming same loas and specs given into same load.

Depending on the amplifier design, you may not hear any difference.

I have a 200W/channel amp and a high current 45 W/channel amp. The 45 Watt amp
sounds better and can drive my speakkers to neighbor annoying levels very
easily.

Richard H. Kuschel

How to have amplifier automatically power on and off Sean High End Audio 2 January 17th 04 12:21 AM
How much power do I really need? CCSman High End Audio 17 December 3rd 03 06:25 AM
power wire questions TWEVOLTMAN Car Audio 9 October 8th 03 07:41 PM
Power outage Don Cooper Pro Audio 120 August 27th 03 03:47 PM
Choosing Amplifier Power Diodes gene ohara Tech 9 July 19th 03 04:23 PM