William Sommerwerck

Default Noisy Potentiometer DeoxIT D100L ?

The best "deal" is the 100% stuff in the bottle with the needle nozzle. It'll
work for almost everything.

Almost. It might be hard to inject in some pots, where a spray would be better.
So you should also have some of the spray stuff.

Primaudio

A thirty plus year old pot is well past it's design lifetime. Replacement is
the best approach for real performance.

If you must "clean" it, I recommend the deoxit gold stuff. 2 or 5% spray.
It's not as reactive as the red, and therefore it won't cause longterm erosion
of the wiper contact.

Good luck.

phillip sztenderowicz

Scott Dorsey

wrote:
Which Deoxit should I use to clean a noisy potentiometer in a Marantz
70's vintage receiver?

Try the Cailube.

I have a small bottle of DeoxIT D100L-25C which is the red stuff with
the needle nozzle.

Would this be the correct stuff or do I need something else?

That stuff will wreck conductive plastic pots, so they recommend not to
use it on pots. It's actually fine on old carbon pots like the ones from
the seventies.

The Cailube, though, will give you smoother operation and keep the pot
quieter over the long run. Don't forget to check the blocking capacitors
for leakage too.
Primaudio

BTW the control only makes a little noise when turning it.
Otherwise it is quiet and I don't lose signal or anything like that.

I'd take scott's advice, and look for leakage on the input to the pot. Could
be a slightly leaking decoupling cap. If they are electrolytics, they are due
to be replaced anyway....see a theme here?

But if the pot is only slightly noisey when turning, it seems as though it's
holding up OK. A tiny spritz of caig gold, or cailube will probably clean that
up....you never want to spraaayyyyy lots into your pot, because as you noticed,
you wash all of the lube out, and then the pot feels crappy.

As for replacement, it depends, is it a volume? I haven't worked on consumer
gear in ages: I'd start by looking at Antique Electronics, Mouser Stocks some
Clarostat Carbons I believe, or if you really want good vintage:try Leed's
Electronics. http://www.leedselect.com/ Antique and Mouser are on the web
too.

Good luck. Replace those electrolytics! It will sound like a new unit.
Beyschlag makes axials still, Digikey sells 'em. www.digikey .com.

cheers,
Phil