Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default Sony Home Theater - Sound to TV?

I don't know too much about this stuff, so I could really use some
helpful information...

My dad left me a (circa 2010?) mid-range, 5.1 Sony home theater
system/receiver, and a Sony Bravia 40" TV. Both have the three standard
connections, HDMI, A/V, and component. I wanted to watch a DVD, but
didn't want to hook up any of the Sony speakers, but rather use the TV
for sound instead.

I connected the two with an HDMI cable, with A/V cables, and with
component cables, and I got picture but no sound, even though A/V and
component both had connections that were labeled as audio out.

Should I have been able to listen to DVD sound over the TV speakers? I
read the home theater's owner's manual, but it said nothing about
listening to sound through the TV.

TIA
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 4:42:36 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
I don't know too much about this stuff, so I could really use some
helpful information...

My dad left me a (circa 2010?) mid-range, 5.1 Sony home theater
system/receiver, and a Sony Bravia 40" TV. Both have the three standard
connections, HDMI, A/V, and component. I wanted to watch a DVD, but
didn't want to hook up any of the Sony speakers, but rather use the TV
for sound instead.

I connected the two with an HDMI cable, with A/V cables, and with
component cables, and I got picture but no sound, even though A/V and
component both had connections that were labeled as audio out.

Should I have been able to listen to DVD sound over the TV speakers? I
read the home theater's owner's manual, but it said nothing about
listening to sound through the TV.

TIA

audio out connects to audio in

does the TV have audio __IN__ jacks?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
UnsteadyKen[_5_] UnsteadyKen[_5_] is offline

In article: 8

Boris says...

Should I have been able to listen to DVD sound over the TV speakers?

Yes, but, most TV's these days have an option to disable the internal
speakers so they can be used with these types of system, I expect your
dad had done so. Look in the TV's setup/sound options menu and enable
them.

it would help if you posted the model of System and TV.

--
Ken O'Meara

List of UK hi-fi & audio dealers:
http://unsteadyken.esy.es/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 2/2/2015 5:29 PM, Boris wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, it does. That's why I'm so perplexed. All the ins and outs are
connected correctly. I was able to connect a non-home theater DVD player
just fine with both A/V and component.

Your 5.1 "receiver" likely has a number of audio
configuration modes. They don't always provide
output to all components all the time. Check your
receiver's audio mode settings. If you don't have
a manual, Google is your friend.

==
Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

UnsteadyKen wrote in
:

In article: 8

Boris says...

Should I have been able to listen to DVD sound over the TV speakers?

Yes, but, most TV's these days have an option to disable the internal
speakers so they can be used with these types of system, I expect your
dad had done so. Look in the TV's setup/sound options menu and enable
them.

it would help if you posted the model of System and TV.

I've got manuals for botht the TV and the home theater. The manuals are
quite extensive, and I've been through both system settings and audio
settings on both devices. No joy. I would post the model numbers, but
I'm no longer at my dad's house, which is 130 miles away. The next time
I'll be up there is on Feb. 14, and I'll try again.

When I do go through the OSD for audio settings, one of the selections is
which speakers do I want to use. My choices are 1) LeftSurround +
RightSurround, 2) LeftSurround + RightSurround + Sub, 3)LS + RS + Center
+ Sub, 4)LS + RS + Center + LeftRear + RightRear + Sub. There is no
selection for output to A/V or composite. But, that may have been under
another audio menu/submenu, or even under a system settings menu.

When I get this to work through the TV, I'll report back.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Ron C wrote in
:

On 2/2/2015 5:29 PM, Boris wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

That's what I'm thinking.

Check your
receiver's audio mode settings. If you don't have
a manual, Google is your friend.

I have all manuals, but the 'receiver' (it also has AM and FM reception)
manual does not tell me how to play through anything but the 5.1 speaker
set.

When I figure this out, I'll post back.

Thanks.

==
Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

[...]

Not into that stuff, but he
http://www.audioholics.com/

.... they have a free forum where you can asks those questions...

And if you see Gene (President) there, tell him Jack says hello!!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 02/02/2015 01:41 PM, Boris wrote:
I don't know too much about this stuff, so I could really use some
helpful information...

My dad left me a (circa 2010?) mid-range, 5.1 Sony home theater
system/receiver, and a Sony Bravia 40" TV. Both have the three standard
connections, HDMI, A/V, and component. I wanted to watch a DVD, but
didn't want to hook up any of the Sony speakers, but rather use the TV
for sound instead.

I connected the two with an HDMI cable, with A/V cables, and with
component cables, and I got picture but no sound, even though A/V and
component both had connections that were labeled as audio out.

Should I have been able to listen to DVD sound over the TV speakers? I
read the home theater's owner's manual, but it said nothing about
listening to sound through the TV.

TIA

You really want to use the HDMI connection whenever possible.
It will supply audio to your TV all by itself, plus the digital
signal will quite a bit sharper then the analog equivalents.
This assumes that your DVD player has HDMI out.

No one has asked whether you made sure that the volume was up
on the TV!

Also, just hook up the speakers to the receiver. No (flat) TV I've ever
encountered had acceptable speakers. I dig the 5.1 thing myself, but
at least the stereo pair is going to be worth it, particularly in
the bass end.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Tobiah wrote in :

[...]

It has HDMI out. I've tried it, without connecting external speakers
(5.1).

No one has asked whether you made sure that the volume was up
on the TV!

Yes, it was up.

Also, just hook up the speakers to the receiver. No (flat) TV I've
ever encountered had acceptable speakers.

I agree.
I dig the 5.1 thing myself, but
at least the stereo pair is going to be worth it, particularly in
the bass end.

I don't want to string the 'rear' speaker wires across the room. I have
no way to hide them. I may just connect the front and sub speakers, and
place in front of the TV.