Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Searching for a Term

There are potentially many of the oldest recordings that are treasures for
the music, but I also love great sound quality. So I wish to search Amazon
for modern recordings that are re-staged and re-recorded classic
arrangments. But I don't know how to ask it - what terms to use for modern
versions of old arrangements.

Anyone?

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Friday, June 7, 2013 8:10:45 PM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
There are potentially many of the oldest recordings that are treasures for
the music, but I also love great sound quality. So I wish to search Amazon
for modern recordings that are re-staged and re-recorded classic
arrangments. But I don't know how to ask it - what terms to use for modern
versions of old arrangements.

Anyone?

I have no idea what you are trying to look for here. What do you mean
by "re-staged" or "rerecorded?" Are you looking for things like
Stokowsky's reworking of Ravel's arrangement of Pictures at an
Exhibition? Transcriptions of Shubert songs by Listz? Are you just
looking for newer recordings of the old warhorses of the classic
repertoire?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Scott wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2013 8:10:45 PM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
There are potentially many of the oldest recordings that are
treasures for the music, but I also love great sound quality. So I
wish to search Amazon for modern recordings that are re-staged and
re-recorded classic arrangments. But I don't know how to ask it -
what terms to use for modern versions of old arrangements.

Anyone?

I have no idea what you are trying to look for here. What do you mean
by "re-staged" or "rerecorded?" Are you looking for things like
Stokowsky's reworking of Ravel's arrangement of Pictures at an
Exhibition? Transcriptions of Shubert songs by Listz? Are you just
looking for newer recordings of the old warhorses of the classic
repertoire?

See what I mean? Hard to find an exact term for it, especially for a Google
or Amazon search term.

Suppose you have a 78 of a Fletcher Henderson jazz number, or maybe the
classic Benny Goodman Ebony Concerto. What I want is a fresh recording
copying the instrumentation, style, and arrangements of these fascinating
classics, recorded anew as if they had our equipment in 1923. I have one
such attempt by Simon Rattle, doing some old arrangements, and it is
fascinating. I also think more interesting than modern arrangements. Bands
used to have a certain style, like you could tell a Marty Paich from a Basie
or a Russ Elgart or anything else. They had a certain instrumentation and
bounce and rhythm that was unique.

To accomplish this, the musicians would have to study the old recordings and
try to identify the instrumentation, then write the arrangements to match.
It may be mostly guesswork, but I'm sure they could come close. Maybe no one
else thinks this would sell, but if they have done it I would like to know
how to find it.

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
There are potentially many of the oldest recordings that are treasures for
the music, but I also love great sound quality. So I wish to search Amazon
for modern recordings that are re-staged and re-recorded classic
arrangments.

I'm under the impression that most first through sixth or seventh rate
conductors research the musical works that they conduct, and provide their
orchestras with sheet music that is a custom developed mixture of "Something
old, something new, something borrowed, something blue", subject to
copyright laws, available time, personal perferences, instruments, etc. Most
musicians I've worked with follow the printed music with some degree of
dilligance, but again play in accordance with their preferences, the
conductor's preferences, what they can get away with, etc. Much of the
music mongering is done by assistants.

Remember that nobody knows for sure exactly what was played on some evening
back in the 1700s, 1800s, or lacking a really detailed recording, last
Thursday night.

Many instruments of today are not identical to what they were 100 years ago
or last week.

You can say that you have a certain classic Strad but they are all a little
different, are all tuned at least a little bit differently every time they
are tuned, played with different bows, strung with different strings, played
by different musicians, etc.

Remember - violins have no frets so none of the notes can ever be exactly
the same, even just the next time they are played during the same piece of
music.

I suspect that a conductor may sometimes wish to evoke an impression of some
past performance, but usually also wishes to put his own imprint on it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stephen McElroy Stephen McElroy is offline

In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

There are potentially many of the oldest recordings that are treasures for
the music, but I also love great sound quality. So I wish to search Amazon
for modern recordings that are re-staged and re-recorded classic
arrangments. But I don't know how to ask it - what terms to use for modern
versions of old arrangements.

Anyone?

What repertoire do you mean? If you mean big band you could try
searching by arranger. Of course, some bands continued into the lp or
even cd era. There are also many excellent student ensembles that record
regularly.

nightlights/do-it-again-jazz-remakes/

Please share a specific title!

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

A re-creation, perhaps? I have stereo direct-to-disc recordings (made in
the seventies/eighties) of both the Glenn Miller Band and the Harry
James Band. I also have a 1970's recording by Enoch Light and the Light
Brigade "aping" Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Claude
Thornhill, etc. Except for the "modern" stereo sound, you couldn't tell
the difference between Light's presentation of these Swing-era classics
and the originals. They are all recreating the style and the substance
of these Classic bits of Americana (when the USA had the best pop
culture in history)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:09:30 PM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Scott wrote:

[...]

Closest thing I can think of would be the piano roll recordings made by Klavier. I'm sure you know that in classical most artists are already playing the same arrangements.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

Remake.

[...]

Here you go:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/warner/time-l...lifestory.html

In the early 1970s, again appealing to the adults, was a series of
recreations of music from the 1930s and 1940s called The Swing Era. This
series was also pressed by Capitol Records, and many of the recreations
were done by Billy May or other Capitol bandleaders. Although one may
cavil that the music on this series was not the original versions, by
1972 most people had become accustomed to high quality music. The
originals, mostly recorded with direct-to-disc technology and fidelity
limitations, would have been inconsistent with the expectations of the
public. Since the originals were mainly orchestral arrangements, they
could be reproduced fairly well, especially for people who hadn't heard
the originals for almost 30 years. Judging by the plethora of volumes of
this series that can now be found in used book stores, the series sold
quite well. Each set came with a hardcover book telling about the music
and the era.

End quote.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

A re-creation, perhaps? I have stereo direct-to-disc recordings (made
in the seventies/eighties) of both the Glenn Miller Band and the Harry
James Band. I also have a 1970's recording by Enoch Light and the
Light Brigade "aping" Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Claude
Thornhill, etc. Except for the "modern" stereo sound, you couldn't
tell the difference between Light's presentation of these Swing-era
classics and the originals. They are all recreating the style and
the substance of these Classic bits of Americana (when the USA had
the best pop culture in history)

OK, yes, that might be close. Can you find the name of that recording?

Gary
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:

A re-creation, perhaps? I have stereo direct-to-disc recordings (made
in the seventies/eighties) of both the Glenn Miller Band and the Harry
James Band. I also have a 1970's recording by Enoch Light and the
Light Brigade "aping" Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Claude
Thornhill, etc. Except for the "modern" stereo sound, you couldn't
tell the difference between Light's presentation of these Swing-era
classics and the originals. They are all recreating the style and
the substance of these Classic bits of Americana (when the USA had
the best pop culture in history)

I have just bought from Amazon a recording by Enoch Light about big band
sounds from the 30s thru the 50s

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=cm_cmu_pg_opt

So that might be one good one Thanks.

Gary Eickmeier.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Yes Stephen - that just might be what I am looking for! I will explore these
on Amazon and see what they are.

Gary Eickmeier

Stephen McElroy wrote:
In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

On 6/9/2013 4:40 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

A re-creation, perhaps? I have stereo direct-to-disc recordings (made in
the seventies/eighties) of both the Glenn Miller Band and the Harry
James Band.

I had the chance to work with the Glenn Miller Orchestra back in the
90's (providing sound reinforcement) Which I thought was pretty
impressive since Glenn Miller died in 1944.

Anyway, these 'ghost' bands often made recordings using modern
equipment, so perhaps that's one avenue to pursue.

You might want to check out the Beau Hunks, a '"documentary orchestra"
that performs note-perfect renditions of music which is obscure and
often commercially unavailable.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beau_Hunks

--
//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Walt wrote:
On 6/9/2013 4:40 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

A re-creation, perhaps? I have stereo direct-to-disc recordings
(made in the seventies/eighties) of both the Glenn Miller Band and
the Harry James Band.

I had the chance to work with the Glenn Miller Orchestra back in the
90's (providing sound reinforcement) Which I thought was pretty
impressive since Glenn Miller died in 1944.

Anyway, these 'ghost' bands often made recordings using modern
equipment, so perhaps that's one avenue to pursue.

You might want to check out the Beau Hunks, a '"documentary orchestra"
that performs note-perfect renditions of music which is obscure and
often commercially unavailable.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beau_Hunks

Wow - this is exactly what I am talking about! Thank you so much, and I will
be searching for some discs and see what the sound quality is like!

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Walt wrote:
[...]

Gid you ever get your Enoch Light Big Band disc from Amazon? I ordered
one (used, of coutrse) from Amazon and it came from GOODWILL INDUSTRIES
in Ohio. Imagine that! It's just like new - not a scratch or a mark on
it. It has a lot more cuts than my LP, but it doesn't sound quite as
good as the LP, but then CDs rarely do.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,

Gid you ever get your Enoch Light Big Band disc from Amazon? I ordered
one (used, of coutrse) from Amazon and it came from GOODWILL
INDUSTRIES in Ohio. Imagine that! It's just like new - not a scratch
or a mark on it. It has a lot more cuts than my LP, but it doesn't
sound quite as good as the LP, but then CDs rarely do.

I just listened to about 3 cuts on the Enoch Light. Not too good a
recording. Sounds like he isolated each section of the band and miked them
separately, added no reverb to mask it. Just a godawful example of
multi-miking.

What say ye?

Gary Eickmeier

Of course that's the way it was recorded. Project3 the recording label,
always recorded like that (the "3" in Project3 stands for 3-channel
Mono) . In fact almost all big-band and jazz recordings are recorded
that way. and in fact, while there is no real sound stage (everything is
multi-miked and grouped either left, center, or right), in my opinion
jazz recordings sound better miked close-up. The Light performances are
note perfect to the original band's recordings and give some modern
sound to these gems. Although, often, the charm of 78-RPM recording
techniques of the original recordings often accentuate the nostalgic
feel of many of these old arrangements.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,

Of course that's the way it was recorded. Project3 the recording
label, always recorded like that (the "3" in Project3 stands for
3-channel Mono) . In fact almost all big-band and jazz recordings are
recorded that way. and in fact, while there is no real sound stage
(everything is multi-miked and grouped either left, center, or
right), in my opinion jazz recordings sound better miked close-up.
The Light performances are note perfect to the original band's
recordings and give some modern sound to these gems. Although, often,
the charm of 78-RPM recording techniques of the original recordings
often accentuate the nostalgic feel of many of these old arrangements.

IMO, for a listen at how jazz should be recorded, give a listen to The King
James Version from Sheffield (originally) but now it looks like it is an
import! OMG take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/King-James-Ver...+james+version

They think they are going to get $203.00 for one! Only one left - act soon!
Anyway, one of the best technically and artistically, probably from the way
it was recorded. The direct to disc sessions had to be done all at once and
with them all together actually playing with each other.

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,

Of course that's the way it was recorded. Project3 the recording
label, always recorded like that (the "3" in Project3 stands for
3-channel Mono) . In fact almost all big-band and jazz recordings are
recorded that way. and in fact, while there is no real sound stage
(everything is multi-miked and grouped either left, center, or
right), in my opinion jazz recordings sound better miked close-up.
The Light performances are note perfect to the original band's
recordings and give some modern sound to these gems. Although, often,
the charm of 78-RPM recording techniques of the original recordings
often accentuate the nostalgic feel of many of these old arrangements.

IMO, for a listen at how jazz should be recorded, give a listen to The King
James Version from Sheffield (originally) but now it looks like it is an
import! OMG take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/King-James-Ver...=sr_1_1_title_
2_aud?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1371873623&sr=1-1&keywords=the+king+james+version

They think they are going to get $203.00 for one! Only one left - act soon!
Anyway, one of the best technically and artistically, probably from the way
it was recorded. The direct to disc sessions had to be done all at once and
with them all together actually playing with each other.

Gary Eickmeier

Believe it or not, I have a pristine copy of the original Sheffield
direct-to-disk LP of "Still Harry After All These Years" in it's
original box. It's in great shape. I don't really play it very often, it
has one tune on it that I absolutely despise ("Theme from "Sandford and
Son")!

The copies available of these Hatty James Sheffield's available today
(either LP or CD) are not made from the original Sheffield D-to-D
session matrixes, but from the analog safety tapes. Nothing (except a
real R-to-R master tape) sounds as good as a clean direct-to-disk vinyl
recording!

Long Term Versus Short-Term Listening Arny Krueger High End Audio 4 September 8th 07 04:49 PM
Long-term storage of CDs [email protected] Audio Opinions 11 August 29th 05 04:39 AM
FS audio term? Curious Tech 21 May 28th 04 05:23 PM
Kimber Kable 8TC '9 ft pr not term$98 Bert Weber Marketplace 2 November 2nd 03 01:01 PM
Short term - Long term listening lcw999 High End Audio 7 October 26th 03 01:58 AM