Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Why do singers put their mouths against microphones?

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Apart from the hygiene aspects, why do so many singers have their mouths
right
up against the microphones when they sing?

1. Because they are unskilled and have not learned proper microphone
technique.

2. Because they are used to using horrible PA systems that are being run on
the edge of feedback and need all the gain they can get.

In general, not a sign of a competent vocalist, but some people just won't
stop eating the microphone. A good solution for microphone-eaters is to
give them a fake microphone to sing into and then a narrow pattern mike
six inches away to actually use.

I tried that at a folk festival. The singer refused to continue with
the show until I had turned on the front mic - then she could hear the
P.A. was working because of all the pops and bangs coming back at her
from the back wall of the room.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ckozicki@snet.net is offline

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:35:58 PM UTC-4, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
then she could hear the
P.A. was working because of all the pops and bangs coming back at her
from the back wall of the room.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~

________________
? ? ?

What was going on behind that back wall, knife-throwing contests?

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mxsmanic wrote:
Scott Dorsey writes:

No, he was perfect.

Ninety years old with perfect hearing? He was lucky, then, especially for a
musician.

Oh, I have no idea if he could hear at all. But his timing and balance
was perfect. He was with a 50-piece band after all, and when you're
Cab Calloway, the conductor follows you.

And he was, with no PA, louder than a full orchestra.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Scott Dorsey writes:

Oh, I have no idea if he could hear at all. But his timing and balance
was perfect. He was with a 50-piece band after all, and when you're
Cab Calloway, the conductor follows you.

Here's the effect that hearing Cab Calloway again had on an elderly man in a
nursing home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:35:58 PM UTC-4, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
then she could hear the
P.A. was working because of all the pops and bangs coming back at her
from the back wall of the room.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~

________________
? ? ?

What was going on behind that back wall, knife-throwing contests?

She was so habituated to bad P.A. that she didn't believe the system was
working unless she could hear the reflection from the back wall of the
pops and bangs she was creating by getting too close to the mic.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Henig Jeff Henig is offline

Mxsmanic wrote:
Scott Dorsey writes:

Oh, I have no idea if he could hear at all. But his timing and balance
was perfect. He was with a 50-piece band after all, and when you're
Cab Calloway, the conductor follows you.

Here's the effect that hearing Cab Calloway again had on an elderly man in a
nursing home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ

Hmmmmmmm... That one looks familiar. Like one I just posted here the
other day.

smh

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Jeff Henig wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Scott Dorsey writes:

Oh, I have no idea if he could hear at all. But his timing and balance
was perfect. He was with a 50-piece band after all, and when you're
Cab Calloway, the conductor follows you.

Here's the effect that hearing Cab Calloway again had on an elderly man in a
nursing home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ

Hmmmmmmm... That one looks familiar. Like one I just posted here the
other day.

I hadn't seen it. But then again, that's the effect Cab Calloway has on
everyone.

Here, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kioZ-wTPC9I
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jeff Henig writes:

Hmmmmmmm... That one looks familiar. Like one I just posted here the
other day.

It's entirely possible that I saw the link here. I can't remember where it
came from. But I posted it just in case.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey writes:

I hadn't seen it. But then again, that's the effect Cab Calloway has on
everyone.

Here, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kioZ-wTPC9I

Amazing ... that was around 1980, I think, so he would have been in his 70s.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, April 13, 2012 3:14:04 PM UTC-4, Neill Massello wrote:
Mxsmanic .com wrote:

Apart from the hygiene aspects, why do so many singers have their mouths right
up against the microphones when they sing?

It's a habit they pick up from all those "auditions".

And performers of certain genres do it for looks! They hold the mic by the pop screen ball and press it against their lips as they sing/spit into it, whilst their other hand is jabbing into the sky at every beat.

-CC