Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

Default powering car audio inyour home

I know you can use a computers power supply to do this, but I currently have
all my extra computer parts in storage, but I happen to have a 12v adapter
similar to this one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

think there would be any issue sniping the end off and attaching that to my
car amp, and hooking up a single sub and a mp3 player through the rca in?

my only concern is there is no way to ground the amp like you can with a
power supply.

Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

the info on my adapter is

input : 120 vac 60 hz 23w
output: 12 vdc 1000mA

this good enough to test a sub and amp?
sub: 1200w 400rms 2ohm
amp: 800 rms 2ohm

"sims" wrote in message ...
I know you can use a computers power supply to do this, but I currently
have all my extra computer parts in storage, but I happen to have a 12v
adapter similar to this one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

think there would be any issue sniping the end off and attaching that to
my car amp, and hooking up a single sub and a mp3 player through the rca
in?

my only concern is there is no way to ground the amp like you can with a
power supply.

Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

nevermind, that idea is going to suck a lot even if it did work. not going
to be enough power period. just going to do it the red neck way and trickle
charge a car battery.

"sims" wrote in message
I know you can use a computers power supply to do this, but I currently
have all my extra computer parts in storage, but I happen to have a 12v
adapter similar to this one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

think there would be any issue sniping the end off and attaching that to
my car amp, and hooking up a single sub and a mp3 player through the rca
in?

my only concern is there is no way to ground the amp like you can with a
power supply.

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB[_2_] ChrisB[_2_] is offline

"sims" wrote in message
I know you can use a computers power supply to do this, but I
currently have all my extra computer parts in storage, but I happen
to have a 12v adapter similar to this one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

think there would be any issue sniping the end off and attaching that
to my car amp, and hooking up a single sub and a mp3 player through
the rca in?

my only concern is there is no way to ground the amp like you can
with a power supply.

I know I am late on this because I had to reload my main computer, but I
figured I would tell you how a known amp manufacturer set up his 12 volt
bank.

He uses THREE Pyramid 55 amp 12 volt power supplies and a bank of 3 deep
cycle batteries from Wal Mart to test his 3000 watt RMS amp. When I
asked him if he used huge diodes on the positive line from each power
supply to keep them from potentially back feeding into one another, he
told me NO.

Basically, each power supply is connected to a battery, the battery bank
is wired in parallel to give a strong 12 volt setup, and he is able to
support the huge current draw that his 3,000 watt amp can suck down @ 1 ohm.

In your case, you would probably still need 2 12volt power supplies and
2 batteries if you wanted to run your system @ max volume
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

We get this or a similar question at least three-five times a years ever
since the inception of RAC.

You clearly have the right idea. The current draw from a car amp would
require a transformer costing hundreds of dollars. Using car batteries is
DEFINATELY the way to go and just keep a continuous trickle-charge on those
suckers. But three car batteries connected in parellel should give you all
the current you would need to drive multiple car amps and produce hundreds
of watts.

The funny thing is how many HUNDREDS of guys over the years thought they
could use car amps in the home and simply go to Goodwill, buy a 12 volt AC
to DC converter and power car amps in the home. Unfortunately, they often
only focus on the voltage output and not the max. amperage output which is
usually something like 100 milliamps. MAYBE enough to turn on a HU and get
a small trickle of sound out of it's speaker outputs. A quick refresher
course regarding Ohm's Law would have set these folks straight: 12 volts X
100 miliamps= 1.2 watts......Whew!!!! Cover your ears!!!!!

MOSFET

"sims" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
aaRDee aaRDee is offline

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...LDER%3C%3Efold...

think there would be any issue sniping the end off and attaching that to my
car amp, and hooking up a single sub and a mp3 player through the rca in?

my only concern is there is no way to ground the amp like you can with a
power supply.

MOSFET is perfect!
Amperes is what really matters.
Imagine around 20-25 volts at 4ohm load ... you will find the answer