Posted to rec.audio.pro
Larry Cartman Larry Cartman is offline

Default Help noob build a music-computer (cubase)

Hi

I'm going to build a computer for recording music with Steinberg Cubase. I'm
also going to be doing some gaming and other stuff on it. My budget is
around USD 2000, not counting the Cubase.

I'm hoping you can help me put together the hardware. Here's what I've come
up with so far:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, probably E6600

Mainboard: ?? I was thinking about MSI P965 Platinum (since it seem like a
fast and stable board), but do you think another board would be better
suited? (Stability, performance wise, or maybe there are some features I
don't know I need?)

Here's a link for the board:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=745

RAM: Since I am not going to be overclocking I was thinking I could just buy
some PC2-4200 sticks, such as: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 1 GB / DUAL RAM / DDR
II SDRAM / PC2-4200CL4 / 533. Would that be okay?

Video card: ASUS (Geforce) EN8800GTS/HTDP

For gaming purposes. :-)

Hard drive: Maybe Samsung SpinPoint P120 SP2504C? (Any other suggestions?)

DVD: Suggestions?

Case: it should be relatively quiet / good airflow, etc., but also big
enough to contain an 8800 GTS video card. I was thinking about Antec 900
(because of the size), but maybe you can recommend some other big cases that
would be better suited for me?

PSU: I dunno (for a change). Again, it should be quiet.

Sound card: Maybe something like EMU 0404 PCI.

Operating system: Some kind of Windows. I blush to admit it, but I was
actually thinking about getting XP Media Center Edition, so I could also use
the computer to record TV with. Would that be a bad idea music wise, or
would it suit me as good as XP home / pro / Vista?

Okay, thanks for reading. I hope somebody can give me some ideas. :-)

Larry

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Larry Cartman wrote:

Operating system: Some kind of Windows. I blush to admit it, but I was
actually thinking about getting XP Media Center Edition, so I could also
use the computer to record TV with. Would that be a bad idea music wise,
or would it suit me as good as XP home / pro / Vista?

windows is worthless.
install linux instead.
regarding PVR
MYTHTV (only available in linux blows windows media edition away.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rboy505@yahoo.com is offline

On Mar 28, 1:41 pm, Robert wrote:

windows is worthless.
install linux instead.
regarding PVR
MYTHTV (only available in linux blows windows media edition away.

Except that he wants to build a music computer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] is offline

"Larry Cartman" wrote
in message
k...
: Hi
:
: I'm going to build a computer for recording music
with Steinberg Cubase. I'm
: also going to be doing some gaming and other stuff on
it. My budget is
: around USD 2000, not counting the Cubase.

If you plan to get into music you should plan to have a
music only computer with all the crap that helps video
games and internet use turned off. Think of it as your
studio machine only and maybe you will have a chance of
making good recordings with it after a few years of
practice.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@earthlink.net is offline

On Mar 28, 10:36 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:
wrote:

Except that he wants to build a music computer.

Hey, Linux is just fine... as long as you are only going to playback
music that was produced on Macs and PCs :-)

As long as the word "client" will never be uttered in your studio,
which seems to perhaps be the OP's situation so knock yourself out.
Get half as much done in four times the time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Larry Cartman Larry Cartman is offline

Thanks for the replies I did get, but I was hoping to get some feedback on
the hardware. But maybe my post was so long that most people decided to skip
it or something?

Anyway, could somebody recommend me some forums (web or usenet) that would
be more appropriate for my questions?

Thanks
LC

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] is offline

Steinberg.com has a forum for hardware.

peace

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Except that he wants to build a music computer.
Hey, Linux is just fine... as long as you are only going to playback
music that was produced on Macs and PCs :-)

As long as the word "client" will never be uttered in your studio,
which seems to perhaps be the OP's situation so knock yourself out.
Get half as much done in four times the time.

*sigh* I guess you didn't see the smiley face -------- :-)

Hi Romeo. I caught the smiley, but I figured you were saying that as
long as it's any PC or Mac DAW project, as opposed to a non-computer
one. Wait a minute, maybe you meant as long as you only want to play
back and not record? : ) That makes sense! : ) That's about how
the last Linux session (that I was invited to visit and be impressed
by) went.

Cheers,

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Larry Cartman Larry Cartman is offline