Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

Default Best Mic/Preamp combo

I'd just like to have an idea of your favorite combo. I don't have
high-end gear as of now, but I don't mind paying the price to upgrade
my current one. I don't even have a good preamp as of now (I really
don't consider my Alto mixer a good preamp) and I got an AKG precision
200 (OK mic).
Thanks for your suggestion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 29, 11:23 am, "Julien BH" wrote:
I'd just like to have an idea of your favorite combo.

I could stand to be stranded on a desert island with Neumann KM84s and
Great River preamp.

Or U87s for some things.

As long as there was AC power. (though the U87s will run on a couple
of 22.5V batteries if I had a battery powered recorder I really wanted
to use them with)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

I'd just like to have an idea of your favorite combo. I don't have
high-end gear as of now, but I don't mind paying the price to upgrade
my current one.

There are no easy answers to this one because most of us have different
preferences for different sound sources. I think you may have to be a little
more specific, do you mean for vocals, allround, brass, strings etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On 29 Mar 2007 08:23:00 -0700, "Julien BH" wrote:

I'd just like to have an idea of your favorite combo. I don't have
high-end gear as of now, but I don't mind paying the price to upgrade
my current one. I don't even have a good preamp as of now (I really
don't consider my Alto mixer a good preamp) and I got an AKG precision
200 (OK mic).
Thanks for your suggestion.

Favorite for what? Voice? Drums? Acoustic Guitar? Electric Guitar?
Too many variables to give any other answer than "it depends."

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Julien BH" wrote in message
ups.com

I'd just like to have an idea of your favorite combo. I
don't have high-end gear as of now, but I don't mind
paying the price to upgrade my current one. I don't even
have a good preamp as of now (I really don't consider my
Alto mixer a good preamp) and I got an AKG precision 200
(OK mic).

My favorite combo last week was a Rode NT4 and a Symetrix SX 202 mic preamp.
I was recording choir and band festivals.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marcello Mastroiani Marcello Mastroiani is offline

I like Behringers, so don't mind me.
But if you need it to record vocals, like in a studio, in my opinion you
should be very careful about picking that combo, check many options. I heard
(actually read on the net, since I own the digital one, Ultravoice digital
24/96) that the Behringer VX2000 is a very good allaround proc for vocals,
and I use a Behringer B2pro microphone, and am extremely satisfied with it,
for now.

Maybe that would be a good entry-level combo, and then, when you get a clear
idea about what you need/like, go up, and, up, and up....

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Julien BH" wrote in message
ups.com

I'd just like to have an idea of your favorite combo. I
don't have high-end gear as of now, but I don't mind
paying the price to upgrade my current one. I don't even
have a good preamp as of now (I really don't consider my
Alto mixer a good preamp) and I got an AKG precision 200
(OK mic).

My favorite combo last week was a Rode NT4 and a Symetrix SX 202 mic
preamp. I was recording choir and band festivals.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

I agree with M Rivers the mic would be a U87 (or the Gefell version UMT70s).
I would probably choose a channel strip to have the option of
compressing/EQing. I have a Joe Meek VC1 QSC as well as a TLA Indigo which
are both great (and different) so it wouldn't be easy to choose between the
2. I also have a Grace 201 and a Drawmer 1969 but the Drawmer isn't as
versatile (no EQ and more intended for drums/bass I'd say) as the two others
and the Grace is an unusually clean preamp with no way of getting the sweet
overdrive from the TLA (but very, very nice for clean recordings).

PS If anybody know of somebody who has a TLA Indigo series channel strip for
sale please let me know. They had a very short lifespan and was replaced by
the far less interesting Ivory series. I have tried to find one for ages but
apparently they are quite rare.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

Sorry for not being specific enough. I do mostly vocals and guitar
through my home studio.
The rest is midi samplers/plugins.
You can hear the Perception 200 / alto mixer / ART Provla combo he
www.soundclick.com/g1mike if you mind.
I've been looking at the great river for some time and it looks quite
interesting. But I'd need a better Compressor too IMHO. Or just dump
it, buy a pedal compressor (barber tone press) and do with it. Then
I'd just need a good param EQ.