Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Howard Stone Howard Stone is offline

Default JR 149s

What are people's experiences with JR 149s?

I have a pair being driven by a Quad 520 . The sound is not very satisfactory -- it sounds "amplified" I wonder if people have found a really successful amp for them.

Someone I know loves the sound he gets out of them with a leak ST20. Thats 10W per channel. But it turns out that he listens very vert close and very quietly. I want to be able to listen in a smallish room -- 15'x15' -- though not to loud music -- a harpsichord or a handful of voices max or a few string instruments max.

And then there's the question of positioning. Does anyone think that the wall brackets Jim Rogers produced are a good idea for the sound? I have mine on stands but close to a wall, 10'apart.

Oh my source is an old Deltec Bigger Bit DAC; no preamp.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a PASS Aleph 30 clone for them.

It may be that these speakers were designed for near-field monitoring and it's just not possible to get a satisfactory room filling sound from them.