Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default What does the term "MK" mean in relation to hi-hi gear?

This is a little off topic but I have have ALWAYS wondered this. You see
these letters all the time in high-end audio model numbers. Like some
high-end turntable will be called the "MK-II" or "MK-III" etc. What the
heck does the "M" and the "K" stand for? I doubt it's Miller and Kriesel (a
subwoofer manufactuerer).

I've done Google searches but to no avail. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
mbuchman mbuchman is offline

I know it sometimes stands for mark, and the bigger the number the newer
the model would be. I don't know if it ever has any other meaning or
not.

-Matt

--
mbuchman
Posted to rec.audio.car
X-OvrDistortion X-OvrDistortion is offline

Mark is what I thought it stood for.

--
X-OvrDistortion
Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Okay Nick, I've narrowed this down to three possible orgins:

1) Monster Kill. It's a way of killing monsters in Unreal Tournament.

2) Mary-Kate Olsen.

3) Mark (designation). Mark can be used to indicate series or model number
of a production line. Because a mark is often made to measure height or
progress, by metonymy the word mark is used to mean a level of development,
and level designations like "Mark I", "Mark II" etc. come to be used as
proper names. Examples include the Lincoln Continental Marks Series, various
Mark 1and Mark I computers. MK sometimes abbreviates such nominal uses of
Mark. (taken from Wikipedia)

My bet is number 3...but I'm much more intersted in number 2!!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
black300zx black300zx is offline

yea, it's just a designation for new or revised models. You could
substitute "version" for MK if you wanted.

--
black300zx

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Tony, I'm just going to think it's number 2. it certainly will make reading
Audio Advisor much more interesting to think that!

Nick