Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Winston Winston is offline

Default Sumo Polaris III Power Amp( Need Advice)

Does anyone have any comments on the Sumo Polaris III Power Amp?
What would be a right price for one that is rated a 9/10 in function and
form?
I am considering buying one but can't seem to find any info on it on the
web.
If anyone has any comments or advice, I will appreciate it.
Thank you
Winston

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
skakamonas skakamonas is offline

Winston wrote:
Does anyone have any comments on the Sumo Polaris III Power Amp?
What would be a right price for one that is rated a 9/10 in function and
form?
I am considering buying one but can't seem to find any info on it on the
web.
If anyone has any comments or advice, I will appreciate it.
Thank you
Winston

I own the Sumo Polaris II which I believe is very similar in design,
sound quality and specs (to the III). The Polaris is a wonderful amp,
with a warm but detailed and open sound and excellent soundstage and
imaging. They have a tube-like warmth and bloom once run in. I was
running my Walsh 5's with the Polaris II - the sound was superb but the
Walsh's needed more power than 100W. I have since ungraded to the
Polaris's big sister, the Sumo Andromeda II, a beast of an amp (240W in
8 ohms; 400W in 4 ohms). This really opened up the sound magnificently,
and the Walsh's really sing now. These are Mosfet output stages, for
what is it worth. The Sumos are reputed to drive low impedance and
difficult loads with aplomb. My experience supports that opinion.

Grab the Polaris III for $400 if it is functional. If it is not, then I
would expect a substantial discount on the price, because these amps
utilize complex proprietary balanced circuits and service manuals are
not available. If any of the output or driver stage semiconductors are
damaged, you may not be able to replace them as they have likely been
discontinued, assuming you could find a tech willing to service the amp!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Winston Winston is offline

Default Thank you Skakamonas

Thanks for the input. I am glad to ear the pros about the Polaris III.
I managed to secure the deal for an excellent piece for $300.00 and I am
going to be using it to drive a pair of 4ohm Jamo speakers. Once again my
appreciation to you.
Winston

"skakamonas" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jack jack is offline

SNIP

If any of the output or driver stage semiconductors are
damaged, you may not be able to replace them as they have likely been
discontinued, assuming you could find a tech willing to service the amp!

The output semi's are not that difficult to replace -- they are TO-247
MOSFET's -- Gate, Drain, Source --2SJ115 can be substituted with a 2SJ200,
the 2SK405 can be substituted with the 2SK1529. Both are available from
ampslab dot com.

The circuit uses a servo to reduce DC on the output.