Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

Default An unsolicited rave review (and some questions)

All -

I posted the following two messages to rec.audio.misc but haven't seen
any helpful replies as yet, so I thought I'd try to get some assistance
here. Thanks in advance . . .

***

I initiated what turned out to be a lengthy and very interesting thread
just about a year ago when I asked for opinions on improving my desktop
audio system. My trusty old Cambridge SoundWorks system had gone flaky
(intermittent failure of the subwoofer's power supply, I believe), and
I was looking for a replacement.

After a lot of research on the web and listening to what folks had to
say here, I settled on a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. After a lot of
set-up fiddling and re-fiddling, I was pretty happy with it. However,
I noticed that I never "got lost" in the music, simply listening while
forgetting whatever else I may have doing. I was also troubled that I
was forced to use the iTunes equalizer's "loudness" setting at +11 dB
gain to achieve satisfactory results. (I'm a purist and always prefer
flat settings whenever possible.)

After reading a wealth of positive things about the E-MU external audio
interfaces and the AudioEngine 2 powered speakers and growing more and
more dissatisfied with what the Klipsch system was delivering, my itch
needed scratching so I took a deep breath and ordered the E-MU 0202 USB
unit -- I didn't feel as though I needed all of the features that the
highly touted 0404 model offers -- and a pair of the AudioEngines.

I received them yesterday -- Christmas comes early! -- and got them all
set up in very little time. The E-MU is a nifty little box and the AEs
are simply beautiful (although I'll admit I'd prefer they had grilles
to protect those pretty silk dome tweeters). Based on advice I gained
reading reviews of the AEs, I mounted 1" rubber feet on them to boost
them off of the desktop a bit and prevent mid-bass surface augmentation
many mentioned.

I then took the time to re-EQ everything (all 25,000+ selections) in my
iTunes database to Flat +0 dB before firing it up . . .

Oh, my goodness! I've auditioned them with every sort of music I can
throw at them, and they are truly amazing: Female vocals are especially
breathtaking. Joni Mitchell never sounded so good! Detail and imaging
are very impressive. Since I added both the interface and the speakers
at the same time, I'm not sure how to apportion the credit, but I'll be
happy to pass the Klipsch system along to my stepson (who'll be equally
happy to receive it). No turning back!

These guys will play at relative high volume without straining my ears
or themselves. I've chosen to set the volume control (inconveniently
positioned on the back of the left speaker) to maximum and control the
level with the buttons on my keyboard, but that leads me to the one and
only thing I'm disappointed with or at least don't understand. I had
anticipated that the "Direct Monitor" pot on the E-MU unit would serve
as a master volume control, but the only thing it seems to do is boost
the noise floor (read "hiss").

Can somebody explain what the purpose of the control is intended to be?
It includes a button to select stereo, mono, or off (I assume, because
neither indicator lamp is lit). I've read through the manual and still
don't understand what I'm missing.

Actually, I do have one other nit to pick: The headphone output is very
low and won't drive my AKG K-240s to anything like satisfactory levels.

That aside, however, I'm finding myself absolutely transported to other
worlds listening to this setup. I am continually forgetting what I am
supposed to be doing at the computer and just getting involved with the
music, and that's what it's all about.

***

Following up my own posting with another question, probably a dumb one.
The E-MU allows for sampling rate selection (44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz).
Am I correct in assuming that this selection applies only to inputs? I
can't hear any effect on the output signal when I fiddle with it. And
by the way, I should have mentioned this in my original post: All of my
source material in iTunes is AAC-encoded at 128 kbps and 44.1 kHz. The
machine itself is a Macintosh G4 ("Digital Audio") accelerated to 1.47
GHz, 1.5 GB RAM @ 133 MHz, Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 PCI cards, two 160
GB Seagate Barracuda internal drives, running MacOS 10.4.11 and iTunes
8.0.1 (11). Sorry for omitting these details (which might be important
but probably not) in my original message.

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

It's good to read a posting such as this. Personally I find it
interesting to hear from real users and listeners of equipment who
give their (yes I know) subjective views on gear that many of us have
otherwise just read reviews about.

So it was interesting to hear an experience of the AudioEngine 2
speakers that I've read about and considered purchasing myself. As an
extremely happy EMU 0404 USB owner, it was doubly interesting. I
would guess that the 0202 is pretty similar sound-wise to the 0404.
So now you have me very tempted to try out the AudioEngines myself!

As to your questions, see inline below....

On 15 Nov 2008 18:00:14 GMT, Curmudgeon wrote:

These guys will play at relative high volume without straining my ears
or themselves. I've chosen to set the volume control (inconveniently
positioned on the back of the left speaker) to maximum and control the
level with the buttons on my keyboard, but that leads me to the one and
only thing I'm disappointed with or at least don't understand. I had
anticipated that the "Direct Monitor" pot on the E-MU unit would serve
as a master volume control, but the only thing it seems to do is boost
the noise floor (read "hiss").

Can somebody explain what the purpose of the control is intended to be?
It includes a button to select stereo, mono, or off (I assume, because
neither indicator lamp is lit). I've read through the manual and still
don't understand what I'm missing.

The Direct Monitor comes into play if you're recording, eg using
microphones. It allows you to listen directly to the input signal (eg
through headphones) without the risk of delay that you'd otherwise get
if you monitored via the software you're using.

The Direct Monitor pot therefore controls the level of the input into
the output. You should keep the Direct Monitor turned off when
playing back via the USB input since you don't want any other input
signal being mixed into the output.

Following up my own posting with another question, probably a dumb one.
The E-MU allows for sampling rate selection (44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz).
Am I correct in assuming that this selection applies only to inputs?

Yes that's correct - it's for use when recording. On playback it
automatically detects the rate that's been used.

I can't hear any effect on the output signal when I fiddle with it. And
by the way, I should have mentioned this in my original post: All of my
source material in iTunes is AAC-encoded at 128 kbps and 44.1 kHz. The
machine itself is a Macintosh G4 ("Digital Audio") accelerated to 1.47
GHz, 1.5 GB RAM @ 133 MHz, Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 PCI cards, two 160
GB Seagate Barracuda internal drives, running MacOS 10.4.11 and iTunes
8.0.1 (11). Sorry for omitting these details (which might be important
but probably not) in my original message.

I also use a Mac + iTunes with the 0404 USB, but when I rip CDs I use
Apple Lossless. With disk space so cheap these days there seems no
reason to not use a lossless codec. I use a 400Gb USB hard drive for
storing music - currently 29 days worth :-)

I also use the 0404 USB for live recording - if you have high quality
mics, it really is an amazing device (though you need to take great
care to not push the levels too high and get used to interpreting the
rather basic level meters).

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

In article , Rob Tweed
wrote:

It's good to read a posting such as this. Personally I find it
interesting to hear from real users and listeners of equipment who
give their (yes I know) subjective views on gear that many of us have
otherwise just read reviews about.

So it was interesting to hear an experience of the AudioEngine 2
speakers that I've read about and considered purchasing myself. As an
extremely happy EMU 0404 USB owner, it was doubly interesting. I
would guess that the 0202 is pretty similar sound-wise to the 0404.
So now you have me very tempted to try out the AudioEngines myself!

Many thanks for answering my questions about the E-MU 0202, Rob. I've
omitted that portion of your reply so that I can further comment on the
AudioEngine 2's without an unnecessarily lengthy post.

These speakers are truly fine, but they should be considered only with
a couple of caveats. First, they will not play at anything approaching
high volume. I've tried them both with the E-MU unit and directly from
the Mac's audio out jack -- I didn't expect any difference in playback
levels and didn't hear any -- and they are pretty limited in what they
can produce. (I don't have a meter or I'd cite an accurate dB level.)
With the iTunes gain level set to neutral (0 dB), they'll reach what to
my ears is an acceptable volume with the AE pot set to max and the Mac
output also topped out. There is no perceptible strain or distortion.
The sound is extremely clean, but if you're looking to rattle the walls
you will be disappointed. I may play with boosting the iTunes gain to
+3 dB or so. I'm not dissatisfied in any way with this aspect of their
performance since the sound is so clean and detailed but it needs to be
said that these are not *loud* speakers.

What they a Incredibly transparent and revealing, almost to a fault.
If there is any flaw in your source material, you will hear it! I have
lots of solo piano music, much of it on older AAD or ADD DGG discs, and
there's an unpleasant graininess to much (but not all) of this material
regardless of how loud it's playing. That is, the limitations are not
inherent to the AE's but to the digital transcriptions of the original
recordings. The same caveat applies to solo organ pieces and of course
extends to the fact that the AE frequency response is bottom-limited so
you don't get that gut-tingling effect from the low pedals. I can live
with that.

Interestingly, even older recordings of ensemble performances play back
beautifully with no evidence of any grainy harshness whatsoever. These
speakers are also wonderful for acoustic pop and folk music due to the
incredibly accurate detail they produce. They are less successful with
Led Zeppelin and the like, of course, but that's to be expected. As I
said in my original message, they do an especially fine job with female
vocals. I'm not a jazz fan, but I imagine they'd handle that idiom as
admirably as they handle most others.

Bottom line: I am very satisfied. The AudioEngine 2's are easily worth
the $200 I paid for them and are the best "computer" speakers I've ever
heard. They are *beautiful* little gems and look great on my desktop.

Briefly however, I must say that I am much less impressed with the E-MU
0202 digital interface unit. I can detect no discernible improvements
to the sound with it wired into the system, and it began to emit noises
that characterize a popular breakfast cereal ("snap, crackle, pop") not
far into my audition. Bypassing the unit cured the problem, so perhaps
I have a faulty example. I did leave it switched on overnight: Should
it be switched off when I'm not using it? I wouldn't have thought that
would matter, but maybe it does.

I suppose it's possible that I simply lack the "golden ears" necessary
to appreciate what this unit has to offer. What exactly should I hear
that I'm missing? I am considering returning it for a refund, but I've
seem so many positive reviews of the E-MU stuff that I want to give it
a fair trial. Can somebody give me some hints to help me detect what I
am obviously failing to apprehend? Many thanks for any assistance.

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

I also use a Mac + iTunes with the 0404 USB, but when I rip CDs I use
Apple Lossless. With disk space so cheap these days there seems no
reason to not use a lossless codec. I use a 400Gb USB hard drive for
storing music - currently 29 days worth :-)

I forgot to reply to this part of Rob's message . . .

My iTunes library predates Apple's Lossless option. I've experimented
with it since it became available and appreciate the advantages, but I
had already committed so much material to AAC/128/44.1 that I decided
to stick with it. I've got my entire library stored on one 160 GB ATA
disk, currently 88 days worth :-O!

Thanks again for your help, Rob.

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 15, 1:00*pm, Curmudgeon wrote:
All -
.... All of my
source material in iTunes is AAC-encoded at 128 kbps and 44.1 kHz. *The
machine itself is a Macintosh G4 ("Digital Audio") accelerated to 1.47
GHz, 1.5 GB RAM @ 133 MHz, Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 PCI cards, two 160
GB Seagate Barracuda internal drives, running MacOS 10.4.11 and iTunes
8.0.1 (11). *Sorry for omitting these details (which might be important
but probably not) in my original message.

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."

For that kind of system, especially with those Audio engine 2s, you
should really really consider using Apple Lossless. Given that
converting AAC (or MP3) back to lossless just make's a lossless
version of the "lossy" audio file, the only way to get true Lossless
is to rip your CDs again

Here's a tip to help speed things along: RIP your CDs again into AIFF
or WAV. The CD will rip fastest to those bit perfect formats because
the computer is essentially just copying the data from the CD into the
format of the file with no compression involved. Then, later when
you've ripped a batch of music to AIFF or WAV, select them in iTunes
and rip them to Apple Lossless overnight or something. Now, this does
assume that you have plenty of hard drive space, depending on the size
of your collection. Once they've completed you can delete all the
AIFFs or WAVs by using the iTunes feature to show duplicate songs.

One other thing, to get iTunes to transfer your audio as cleanly as
possible to your EMU, turn off the EQ and, in your itunes preferences
turn off soundcheck, sound enhancer, and crossfade. Then in the Audio
midi program, a separate program that you will find in the
application/utilities folder, set the volume to 100% or maximum.
Digital volume controls actually alter the digital data. Leaving the
volume at maximum transfers the audio data un-altered. Once you've
done all that Itunes will be transfering bit perfect, un-altered audio
to your EMU.

Have fun!

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

It's good to read a posting such as this. Personally I find it
interesting to hear from real users and listeners of equipment who
give their (yes I know) subjective views on gear that many of us have
otherwise just read reviews about.

So it was interesting to hear an experience of the AudioEngine 2
speakers that I've read about and considered purchasing myself. As an
extremely happy EMU 0404 USB owner, it was doubly interesting. I
would guess that the 0202 is pretty similar sound-wise to the 0404.
So now you have me very tempted to try out the AudioEngines myself!

OK, now I'm *really* confused. I just hooked the E-MU 0202 back into
the system and I'm getting really unexpected results. The noises are
gone, but so is any response to the keyboard volume controls. When I
reintroduced it into the system, I had boosted all of my source to +9
dB, and I was deafened by what came out of the poor little AE 2's.

They were absolutely blasting and would not respond to the volume nor
mute keys on my keyboard although I could control the volume with the
menu bar slider.

What's going on? Can somebody explain why a unit which was so docile
and subject to keyboard control has suddenly turned into a monster?

This thing is beginning to scare me!

Cheers?

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

In article , codifus
wrote:

One other thing, to get iTunes to transfer your audio as cleanly as
possible to your EMU, turn off the EQ and, in your itunes preferences
turn off soundcheck, sound enhancer, and crossfade. Then in the Audio
midi program, a separate program that you will find in the
application/utilities folder, set the volume to 100% or maximum.
Digital volume controls actually alter the digital data. Leaving the
volume at maximum transfers the audio data un-altered. Once you've
done all that Itunes will be transfering bit perfect, un-altered audio
to your EMU.

Have fun!

Thanks, CD! I had already re-EQ'd all my source back to Flat +0 dB so
the equalizer was "virtually" off anyway, but I have explicitly turned
it off now. Good tip. I've never engaged the crossfade and enhancer
options, so leaving them off is a no-brainer. However, I do like the
soundcheck feature. Am I shooting myself in the foot if I leave it on?

I opened the Audio MIDI Setup application and configured everything
for the E-MU including setting the volume to 100%, but it doesn't
persist. That is, it is that slider which is affected when I use the
keyboard to raise and lower the system output volume. (The iTunes
slider is also at 100% and remains there when I alter the system
volume.) If that's not how it's supposed to work, I'm not sure where
I'm going wrong.

Getting this system configured is more fun than I've had in a long long
time. I'm absolutely stunned at what I'm hearing from these wonderful
little speakers especially now that the interface seems to have settled
in properly. I was pretty concerned that I was going to have to return
it when it began making nasty noises and then later running amok, but I
am glad I stuck it out since I can now appreciate what it brings to the
table.

Ironically, I made one other addition to the system that hypothetically
had nothing to do with the audio itself but has also turned out to be
an enhancement. My trusty old Kensington keyboard failed so I ordered
one of the nifty new Apple aluminum models. It is not only very pretty
and a joy to use, but it is also blessedly silent so I can better enjoy
the music while I work. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 19, 7:29*pm, Curmudgeon wrote:
In article , codifus

wrote:
[...]

Soundcheck is a really nice feature and I do miss using it. But it is
also a part of software that will digitally alter your audio. If you
leave it on and you are happy with it, then enjoy

I opened the Audio MIDI Setup application and configured everything
for the E-MU including setting the volume to 100%, but it doesn't
persist. *That is, it is that slider which is affected when I use the
keyboard to raise and lower the system output volume. *(The iTunes
slider is also at 100% and remains there when I alter the system
volume.) *If that's not how it's supposed to work, I'm not sure where
I'm going wrong.

That sounds right. The aim is to not let any software alter the
volume, becasue if it does so, it will do it digitally. In my setup,
iTunes, Audio Midi, and my emu 0404 are all set to max volume. I
control the volume out put from my analog Yamaha amplifier

Getting this system configured is more fun than I've had in a long long
time. *I'm absolutely stunned at what I'm hearing from these wonderful
little speakers especially now that the interface seems to have settled
in properly. *I was pretty concerned that I was going to have to return
it when it began making nasty noises and then later running amok, but I
am glad I stuck it out since I can now appreciate what it brings to the
table.

iTunes makes an awesome music server. My system is also based on a
trustly old PowerMac G4 Digital audio.

Ironically, I made one other addition to the system that hypothetically
had nothing to do with the audio itself but has also turned out to be
an enhancement. *My trusty old Kensington keyboard failed so I ordered
one of the nifty new Apple aluminum models. *It is not only very pretty
and a joy to use, but it is also blessedly silent so I can better enjoy
the music while I work. *Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."

CD
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
[...]

Thanks again, CD! I've learned a couple of things since my last post.
Number one is that even though I had all my source EQ'd at Flat ± 0 dB,
iTunes kept turning the EQ back on since I had a setting defined. I've
had to *explicitly* set the EQ to "None" to make sure it stays switched
out.

I also realized how dumb my question about the persistence of the Audio
MIDI Setup volume setting was. I had totally forgotten that I had the
AudioEngine's volume set (-and-forget) to max and it is possible, after
all, to use that pot as the master volume control.

That said, however, it's very inconveniently located on the back of the
left speaker and it is much easier to use the keyboard to modulate the
system volume, and because I like the iTunes Soundcheck feature so much
anyway, I'm going to stick with using it and the keyboard. It might be
a bit sub-optimal, but I love the way the system sounds as it is so I'm
gonna go with convenience over attempting perfection.

And yes, I couldn't agree more about what a great job iTunes on an old
G4 tower does as a music server. I've pushed my G4 as far as she'll go
in terms of hardware mods and additions (without running any dodgy S/W
anyway) and I'm perfectly happy with OS X 10.4.11 on my everyday system
(which is what this machine has been for seven years now): Solid as the
proverbial rock!

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
LeonKlarfeld LeonKlarfeld is offline

On Nov 18, 9:58*pm, Curmudgeon wrote:
In article , RobTweed

wrote:
[...]

I own an E-MU 0404 USB.
Thought I would share my experience.
I intitially notice unwanted pops and crackles from time to time.
I also noticed a changing lack of balance between right and left
channel from time to time.
I also noticed the Main Output volume controls sometimes caused
explosive pops when rotated to fully counter clockwise (min volume)
position.
I returned my E-MU 0404 USB to E-MU and the unit shipped back to me
sounded much better and these problems were elimiated.

I use Windows XP and the E-MU applet provides setting 44.1 or 48 Khz
or etc.
The applet also displays what the current setting is.
I usually set it to 44.1 for FLAC encodings of 44.1 originals.
Rob Tweed mentioned above the E-MU will automatically switch to the
proper setting.
I can confirm that after playing 48 Khz content the E-MU shows 48.
However when I then play 44.1 the E-MU applet continues to display 48
and NOT 44.1.
I do NOT know if this is just a false E-MU display problem or whether
the E-MU does in fact dynamically use the input materially sampling
rate.
My ears are NOT good enough to hear a significant difference!
But I would be interested to know if anyone can confirm Rob Tweed's
statement that in fact the E-MU does this automatically.
At the very least, E-MU applet reporting for sample rate never
switches back to 44.1 once it has automatically swithched to 48.1

I am VERY happy with the sound thru the E-MU 0404 USB and its abiltiy
to provide clear microphone recordings is exceptional.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

wrote:
[...]

Hey, Leon! Thanks for sharing your experiences with your 0404. I'm
the original poster and wanted to make sure that everybody knows that
after a shakedown period which lasted a couple of days, my 0202 has
been flawless. The combination of the E-MU and the AudioEngine 2's
produces quality far beyond what I would have believed possible from
what is admittedly a pretty modest system (especially since I rip the
source to space-efficient 128kbps/44.1kHz AAC files, although I have
recently doubled my storage capacity so I may revisit that decision).

Unfortunately, I did have to send the AE2's back for replacement when
the low frequency driver in the slave unit developed a scratchy buzz,
especially when playing solo piano and choral material, but there was
absolutely no problem with the exchange and the replacements are just
perfect.

I believe that the $300 or so I spent on the E-MU/AE2 combination is
the best audio investment I've made since I got a pair of Vandersteen
2Ci's used for a rock-bottom price many long years ago, and that's a
real mouthful!

Cheers!

Mudge