Posted to rec.audio.high-end
anthony anthony is offline

Default Using 'radio' input sockets for standard audio input?

I can't locate my manual right now -- it's in unpacked boxes from
recent move.
But the Q is simple ... can I use the radio input as another standard
audio input? I don't want to experiment in case there's a problem, but
I'm in dire need of another audio input but don't want to use a
switching box if possible.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"anthony" wrote in message
I can't locate my manual right now -- it's in unpacked boxes from
recent move.
But the Q is simple ... can I use the radio input as another standard
audio input? I don't want to experiment in case there's a problem, but
I'm in dire need of another audio input but don't want to use a
switching box if possible.

Yes, the Radio input is just another line input, the labels are just for
convenience.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
anthony anthony is offline

On Nov 16, 4:13*am, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:
"anthony" wrote in message

...I can't locate my manual right now -- it's in unpacked boxes from
recent move.
But the Q is simple ... can I use the radio input as another standard
audio input? I don't want to experiment in case there's a problem, but
I'm in dire need of another audio input but don't want to use a
switching box if possible.

Yes, the Radio input is just another line input, the labels are just for
convenience.

S.
--http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Thanks for that ... huge help as it gives me now quite a few spare
inputs ... at present my Quad 66's radio input connects to a Quad 33
pre-amp to which I have connected two radios - a Quad FM and a Yamaha
FM/AM. I'll now keep that connection, and simply plug in extra inputs
into the Quad 33, which will act as an over-elaborate (and so funky-
looking) switching box!
I'll be using it to plug in audio leads from an HD set top box I plan
to buy for my 1080p video projector.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote:
"anthony" wrote in message

[...]

What's an audiophile without a funky switchbox hidden somewhere in the
system? :-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 15, 12:13 pm, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:
"anthony" wrote in message

...I can't locate my manual right now -- it's in unpacked boxes from
recent move.
But the Q is simple ... can I use the radio input as another standard
audio input? I don't want to experiment in case there's a problem, but
I'm in dire need of another audio input but don't want to use a
switching box if possible.

Yes, the Radio input is just another line input, the labels are just for
convenience.

S.
--http://audiopages.googlepages.com

To expand on that, all the inputs are line level inputs EXCEPT for
phono, or turntable. On my system, the tuner is plugged into tuner,
dvd player is plugged into aux, EMU0404 is plugged into DVD, TV is
plugged into tape, and my computer is plugged into MD

All the inputs were pretty much chosen for convenience and
functionality, but the main reason I plugged my EMU0404 USB into DVD
is because, on my Yamaha AX-596 amplifier, only the DVD input has the
option to bypass the tone controls and input selector to deliver the
cleanest untouched audio signal to the power amp and then on to the
speakers.

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

On 17 Nov 2008 01:02:10 GMT, codifus wrote:

To expand on that, all the inputs are line level inputs EXCEPT for
phono, or turntable. On my system, the tuner is plugged into tuner,
dvd player is plugged into aux, EMU0404 is plugged into DVD, TV is
plugged into tape, and my computer is plugged into MD

Codifus - I'm surprised you don't plug the EMU into the USB port on
your computer and use it as your sound-card instead of the one you
plug into the MD input of your amp.

All the inputs were pretty much chosen for convenience and
functionality, but the main reason I plugged my EMU0404 USB into DVD
is because, on my Yamaha AX-596 amplifier, only the DVD input has the
option to bypass the tone controls and input selector to deliver the
cleanest untouched audio signal to the power amp and then on to the
speakers.

I decided to dispense with a pre-amp altogether and just use the EMU
0404 for all my inputs. The EMU's output goes straight into the line
inputs of a Behringer power amp.

So my DVD or TV Hard disk recorder can play back via the optical
S/PDIF input of the EMU, and any occasional legacy analog line input I
want to use can go through line input of the EMU (OK an unecessary
round trip through the ADC and back out the DAC but you'd never
notice), and of course most of my music is on a Mac + iTunes and that
goes via the EMU's USB connection.

On the very odd occasions that I need to play an LP (to transfer it to
iTunes), then I have to exhume an old integrated Arcam amp that now
otherwhise gathers dust in a cupboard.

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 17, 7:35*am, Rob Tweed wrote:
On 17 Nov 2008 01:02:10 GMT, codifus wrote:

To expand on that, all the inputs are line level inputs EXCEPT for
phono, or turntable. On my system, the tuner is plugged into tuner,
dvd player is plugged into aux, EMU0404 is plugged into DVD, TV is
plugged into tape, and my computer is plugged into MD

Codifus - I'm surprised you don't plug the EMU into the USB port on
your computer and use it as your sound-card instead of the one you
plug into the MD input of your amp.

Good question. 2 reasons, basically.

1. My computer doesn't have USB 2.0. I would have to install a USB 2.0
card and install the software to drive the EMU, all of which I do not
want to do because of reason 2.

2. My computer, as computers generally are, is noisy. When I listen to
music I want dead silence in my listening room. I thought about
getting a USB 2.0 card and a really long USB cable but long USB cables
don't seem to be thought of as a good idea.

Instead, iTunes loaded on a remote computer outside the listening area
feeds (via 100 BaseT ethernet) my Airport Express which then optically
feeds the 0404 whose signal is D/Aed and finally fed to the amplifier.
All this and total silence to boot with both the AX and 0404 in the
room. I do understand that I'm not getting the full capability of the
0404 in this setup:

The airport only sends 16/44 data.
The 0404 can only synch externally to the airport.

Because of these technicalities my 0404 only plays 16/44 audio and I
haven't even heard what 24/96 or 24/192 might sound like on the EMU.
I've been using it in basic stand alone DA mode and it sounds
awesome

CD