Chris Scebelo

Default average listening levels

"Walt R" wrote in message
news:3yMBb.494014$HS4.3787360@attbi_s01...
"Shadow" wrote in message

110 on average(when I want it loud).

"Ban" wrote in message
news:AEMwb.304993$Fm2.323014@attbi_s04...
I'm a little perplexed as to what levels we are adjusting the volume.

myself found that I very consistently adjust the level to

86-88dBA(fast)
average with a few peaks up to 100dB (at listening position). My wife

thinks
that's too high. :-(
I need this level not to miss too many details, but without causing an
unpleasant feeling of "too loud" in the fortissimo passages.
When friends are coming and can freely adjust the volume pot, I see

that
those experienced choose similar(mostly slightly higher) levels,

whereas
people without High-end knowledge tend to lower volumes.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

**
Listening to a constant level that high will cause permanent hearing
loss or damage. When you have suffered enough damage to your hearing,
any loud noise triggers tinnitis "ringing in the ears" which may last
for several days. The sad part of this is that hearing loss is steady
and progressive, and once hearing is lost or damaged it can not be
recovered.

At the moment I am siting in a quiet house listening to the ringing in
both ears. There is no volume control.

Fair Warning.
Walt R.

Hear. Hear. I mean the Brit cheer.

We, including audiophiles, do not understand the danger of too loud.

Bob Olhsson

In article , Dick Pierce
wrote:

The experiment suggests that many people tend to play louder
than realistic sound levels.

I've always found people adjusting levels to something that is
relatively the same amount above the ambient noise level in the room
with the actual sound pressure levels covering a huge range.

We seem to have very little absolute sense of volume right up to the
point of pain.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN 615.385.8051
http://www.hyperback.com/olhsson.html