Posted to rec.audio.high-end
braxus braxus is offline

Default Luxman M-117 amp vs Rotel RB 1070 amp

I currently have a Rotel RB 1070 amp. It sounds fine so far, but is not as
smooth as I remember my Luxman LV-103 integrated was. But the LV-103 was
rather wimpy in terms of power output on transients. But I've seen on Ebay
now and then the Luxman M-117 amp from 1990s which was rated 200 watts per
channel 20-20khz at 8 ohms. This power output is similar to my Rotel 1070
amp. Its rated 130 watts per channel, but many have said its closer to 200
watts. Now the Rotel is high current output, while the Luxman is voltage
driven amplification. The Luxman amp is supposed to sound very close to tube
amps, especially with its duo beta circuitry, voltage amplification, and
special output transistors.

The output transistors are supposedly Sanken output transistors on the
M-117. Reading the review on here the impression I get is the Lux is smooth
and laid back, while the Rotel is bright or a little harder and forward. The
system this is being used with is currently B&W 602 s3 speakers, but I plan
to move up to 804s speakers down the road. I still might go the tube amp
route, but Im side tracked with this Luxman showing good promise its closer
to what Im looking for for about $400. My preamp is a Rotel 995 and I could
always run the Rotel for bass and the Lux for mids and highs, being they are
close in power output. I've also heard the M-03 amp is similar to the M-117
amp. I'm not sure how true that is because in Canada we were able to buy
both of them. I remember the dealer saying they liked the M-03 amp, but said
it was a little "slow" compared to newer amps of the time. I did hear some
music through the M-03. I seem to remember the M-03 being out before the
M-117 as well.
Can anyone comment on these two amps in comparison to each other?