Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

Default what is considered high end audio?

I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson

On 18 Jun 2006 15:07:22 GMT, mike wrote:

I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?

Cost is not the issue.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

mike wrote:
I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?

"This newsgroup" is not exactly of one mind on the subject. "High end"
itself is just a marketing term, reasonably applied to (and, of course,
by) any manufacturer which markets its gear 1) predominantly on the
basis of claimed superior sound, and 2) typically through
other-than-mass-market channels. I believe the term was coined by G.
Gordon Holt--unless it was Harry Pearson. In either case, he was
marketing a magazine that served to market said gear.

A better question, to my mind, would be, what's an audiophile, and how
good does a system have to be to satisfy one? An audiophile is someone
who cares about how recorded music sounds--as opposed to a music lover,
who is interested in the music and not terribly concerned about things
like accuracy of reproduction or realistic imaging. By that definition,
you can be an audiophile with a $500 system, assuming you've chosen
that system for its sound.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On 18 Jun 2006 15:07:22 GMT, mike wrote:

I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?

Cost is not the issue.

Kal

Indeed. My personal view is that anything is "high-end" that aims first
and foremost at audio quality, then equally build-quality, reliability
and usability, and then cosmetics. In my view this makes QUAD high end,
whilst eliminates all and every single-ended triode amplifier regardless
of price, all vinyl reproducers (although I would accept a separate
category for vinyl reproducers on the basis that it doesn't matter how
good the reproducer is, the limitation is still the poor quality of the
vinyl medium itself). Some of the expensive loudspeakers and amplifiers
would also drop out as they are beautiful cosmetically, but poor
sonically (Bolzano-Villetri, Zingali and Unison for example.)

We could have an interesting debate about such products like Halcro
amplifiers, which, whilst measuring superbly, are ludicrously priced. I
have always thought that an engineer is that person that can do for
50pence what any damn fool can do for £1, meaning that well engineered
products achieve superb performance without necessarily being expensive.

The cult of the expensive is not confined to hi-fi. Why do people buy
Rolex watches when any quartz watch at £ 1.99 will be more accurate in
time-keeping. It's obviously nothing to do with the Rolex watch being
used for timekeeping, it's pride of ownership, status symbol, having
something expensive, a whole raft of emotional reasons not very far
removed from some hi-fi products that some people buy because they can,
even though equivalent or better performance could be had for much less
money.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath

In article ,
mike writes:
I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?

From the guidelines:

2.0 -- Definition of High-End Audio

The working definition of 'high-end audio' under which this
newsgroup operates is

a) audio equipment whose primary and fundamental design goal is
to reproduce a musical event as faithfully as possible; or

b) audio equipment which attempts to provide an electromechanical
realization of the emotional experience commonly called music;
or

c) any relevant issues related to the use, design or theory about
a) or b).

Price is generally not significant in determining whether or not a
given component may be considered 'high-end'.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On 18 Jun 2006 15:07:22 GMT, mike wrote:

I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?

Cost is not the issue.

While price and cost or not that critical, there aren't many serious
speakers or serious amplifiers to drive them at the $500 end of the
spectrum.

[...]

That's altogether nuts. A Timex is really not that much more than a battery
in a case, and the issue is not about telling time. I own a Rolex and
several Timexes and in fact a Rolex is quite inexpensive in the realm of
high end watches.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"bob" wrote in message
mike wrote:
I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?

"This newsgroup" is not exactly of one mind on the subject. "High end"
itself is just a marketing term, reasonably applied to (and, of course,
by) any manufacturer which markets its gear 1) predominantly on the
basis of claimed superior sound, and 2) typically through
other-than-mass-market channels. I believe the term was coined by G.
Gordon Holt--unless it was Harry Pearson. In either case, he was
marketing a magazine that served to market said gear.

Let's get your facts straight. Both Stereophile and The Abs!ute Sound
refused to accept advertising for years, in order to prevent even the
appearance of conflict of interest. They emerged specifically because the
popular press audio mags did seem beholden to advertisers and were of the
"everything sounds as good as everything else" persuasion. This at a time
when even today's objectivists admit there was substantial differences
between equipment.

A better question, to my mind, would be, what's an audiophile, and how
good does a system have to be to satisfy one? An audiophile is someone
who cares about how recorded music sounds--as opposed to a music lover,
who is interested in the music and not terribly concerned about things
like accuracy of reproduction or realistic imaging. By that definition,
you can be an audiophile with a $500 system, assuming you've chosen
that system for its sound.

True, assuming he can assemble a system for $500 that sounds like
unamplified acoustic music when playing same. But that's not the question
he asked. He asked what price range this group generally accepted as the
beginning of the "high end".... the focus is on equipment, not on listening
habits.

Kal is right that cost isn't necessarily the defining factor...nor has it
ever been. In the very first issues of The Abso!ute Sound Harry Pearson
defined the high end as consisting of manufacturers who put sound fidelity
ahead of marketing gimmicks, gee-gaws, and mass merchandising spiffs.
Actually, the rec.audio.high-end definition of the purpose of the group
pretty much assumes this same perspective....what is important is not so
much the price as it is the priorities in the development of the equipment.
Where reasonable fascimile to the real thing can be achieved at a modest
price point, so much the better. And if a manufacturer wants to define
their mission as an all-out assault on the state-of-the-art,
price-be-damned, more power to them as well.

Let's take an example I can talk about. Back in the early eighties, I
auditioned preamps in both low and high price ranges. At that time, I
couldn't find a mass-market preamp, including HK, that sounded like music.
The Dynacos sounded good and beyond that it was slim pickin's. I ended up
buying a dealer-demo ARC SP6B because it stood head and shoulders above most
other preamps of its era in "realism" when playing the kind of music I
mostly listen to.

Fast forward to 2002. Multichannel. I want to replace the SP6B with six
matched channels, and I can't afford to buy two more of same (and in any
case they do not have a remote control to gang volume changes). So I start
looking again...some mass market stuff continues to sound like s**t, but the
mid-90's Onkyo preamps, while somewhat colored, actually beats the 6B on
transparency and soundstaging, while not sounding quite so "real" overall.
NAD is in the the running. And Arcam. In other words, one has to pick and
choose at the low end but at least some become an acceptable trade-off. But
a few (unnamed) would still not make the grade as "audiophile" in the sense
that they simply interfere too much with realistic reproduction...their
manufacturers either have other goals or are simply incompetent in reaching
for realism.

No before everybody jumps in, I believe the same is true for some expensive
gear. There was some in the early eighties, and there is some today, that I
wouldn't have in my system. But in general, the really good expensive stuff
is still somewhat better (e.g. more "realistic" or if you like, leading more
easily to a "suspension of disbelief") than the best of the entry-level
"high end". But the entry-level high-end stuff wipes some of the
mass-market stuff and is faithful to music, and that is enough to qualify it
as "high-end". (Now for an admission...I'd still rather we called it
"high fidelity" and got rid of all this controversy. Nobody ever questioned
whether Dynaco or Eico were "high-fidelity" in intent or achievement.)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson

On 18 Jun 2006 17:51:22 GMT, "bob" wrote:

I believe the term was coined by G.
Gordon Holt--unless it was Harry Pearson. In either case, he was
marketing a magazine that served to market said gear.

Holt invented the concept but Pearson coined the phrase.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson

On 18 Jun 2006 19:10:55 GMT, "Norman M. Schwartz"
wrote:
Kalman Rubinson wrote:
Cost is not the issue.

While price and cost or not that critical, there aren't many serious
speakers or serious amplifiers to drive them at the $500 end of the
spectrum.

Sure. The same can be said of high-performance products in many
fields, but not all.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

It is entirely a marketing invented phrase and is said to refer to the
"high-enough-price" spread so as to deliver some form of subjective
experience, as agreed upon in the hifi press and among friends. It has
little reality otherwise and fails to stand up to much poking around in,
as relating to anything in the real world.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Serge Auckland wrote:
Kalman Rubinson wrote:
[...]

That makes absolutely no sense. There are many SETs and vinyl playback
devices that completely meet your criteria. Why would you assume that
no SETs or LP playback equipment do not "aim first and foremost at
audio quality, then build quality, reliability and usability, and then
cosmetics?"

We could have an interesting debate about such products like Halcro
amplifiers, which, whilst measuring superbly, are ludicrously priced.

What is wrong with the prices of Halcros? Do you believe that they have
a higher profit margin than most other gear?

have always thought that an engineer is that person that can do for
50pence what any damn fool can do for =A31,

Well who has managed to build amps with the same build quality and
performance for half the price?

meaning that well engineered
products achieve superb performance without necessarily being expensive.

Superb performance is highly subjective. So long as we live in a free
society we are free to decide what reference we use to gauge excellence
of performance.

The cult of the expensive is not confined to hi-fi. Why do people buy
Rolex watches when any quartz watch at =A3 1.99 will be more accurate in
time-keeping. It's obviously nothing to do with the Rolex watch being
used for timekeeping, it's pride of ownership, status symbol, having
something expensive, a whole raft of emotional reasons not very far
removed from some hi-fi products that some people buy because they can,
even though equivalent or better performance could be had for much less
money.

Did you buy a Rolex for these reasons?

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
mike wrote:
I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?

"This newsgroup" is not exactly of one mind on the subject. "High end"
itself is just a marketing term, reasonably applied to (and, of course,
by) any manufacturer which markets its gear 1) predominantly on the
basis of claimed superior sound, and 2) typically through
other-than-mass-market channels. I believe the term was coined by G.
Gordon Holt--unless it was Harry Pearson. In either case, he was
marketing a magazine that served to market said gear.

It was Harry Pearson and he was not marketing a magazine that served
to market said gear. He was editing a magazine that served to review
such gear.

A better question, to my mind, would be, what's an audiophile,

http://reference.aol.com/dictionary?...pbtn=3DLook+Up
Main Entry: au=B7dio=B7phile
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'o -de-O-"fil
: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

and how
good does a system have to be to satisfy one?

That would asume that audiophiles are of a singular mind on the
subject. I don't believe this is true.

An audiophile is someone
who cares about how recorded music sounds--as opposed to a music lover,
who is interested in the music and not terribly concerned about things
like accuracy of reproduction or realistic imaging.

You are creating a false dichotomy. One can be a music loer and still
care about things like "accuracy of reproduction or realistic imaging."

By that definition,
you can be an audiophile with a $500 system, assuming you've chosen
that system for its sound.

Actualy you can be an audiophile by the correct definition as I posted
with a 500 dollar system. There is nothing in the definition that sets
a minimum price level for an audiophile's system. You just have to be
an enthusiast.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

Harry Lavo wrote:
"bob" wrote in message
mike wrote:
[...]

Fair point, given the history. BTW, "served to market" is not and was
not meant to be pejorative. Any magazine which takes advertising
"serves to market" the goods advertised therein, as a simple matter of
capitalism. And I don't think you'd disagree that one of the aims of
Holt and Pearson, even before they began to take advertising, was to
promote a particular market segment. Nuthin' wrong with that, even to
good liberals like us, Harry. (BTW, liked your letter in the Times!)

[...]

Which is why I began the paragraph with the words, "A better question,
to my mind, would be..."

Also, note that I haven't adopted your definition of the goal, i.e.,
"sounds like unamplified acoustic music when playing same." That is
certainly A goal for many audiophiles, but it doesn't have to be THE
goal for every audiophile. I think an audiophile can pursue any sound
he likes, realistic or not. What makes him an audiophile is that he is
pursuing *a sound*, and not just listening to music.

He asked what price range this group generally accepted as the
beginning of the "high end".... the focus is on equipment, not on listening
habits.

Which, IMHO, is a big part of what is wrong with "the high end" as
reflected in both the audio press and the Internet forums--it is too
much about the equipment, and not enough about the listening.

Kal is right that cost isn't necessarily the defining factor...nor has it
ever been. In the very first issues of The Abso!ute Sound Harry Pearson
defined the high end as consisting of manufacturers who put sound fidelity
ahead of marketing gimmicks, gee-gaws, and mass merchandising spiffs.

That's actually not far from my definition above: "any manufacturer
which markets its gear 1) predominantly on the basis of claimed
superior sound, and 2) typically through other-than-mass-market
channels." See, we're bridging the gap here!

snip

(Now for an admission...I'd still rather we called it
"high fidelity" and got rid of all this controversy. Nobody ever questioned
whether Dynaco or Eico were "high-fidelity" in intent or achievement.)

Amen to that!

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message

Indeed. My personal view is that anything is "high-end" that aims first
and foremost at audio quality, then equally build-quality, reliability
and usability, and then cosmetics. In my view this makes QUAD high end,
whilst eliminates all and every single-ended triode amplifier regardless
of price, all vinyl reproducers (although I would accept a separate
category for vinyl reproducers on the basis that it doesn't matter how
good the reproducer is, the limitation is still the poor quality of the
vinyl medium itself).

Very good observation about vinyl, and that agrees with my attitude:
Moderately good turntables and cartridges are good enough because the vinyl
records themselves, especially if worn, are not all that good. No need to
strengthen a link in the chain that is not the weakest link. Anyhow,
today's moderately good turntables and cartridges are not bad at all by the
standards of 1970!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

MC wrote:
[...]

It may agree with your attitude but I don't think it reflects reality
at all. There are substantial gaines with high end rigs over anything
available in 1970. *Any* record will benifit substantially from such an
upgrade. It never ceases to amaze me that people who wish to dismiss
vinyl cite examples that have nothing to do with the true capacities of
the medium.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

mike wrote:
I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Interestingly, no one really addressed my question in black and white.
I will start again.
I am classically trained. I played the violin and in many orchestras for
15 years. I still play occasionally. I have a friend who has been a
recording engineer for 20 years. He himself played in many rock and
jazz bands,he manufactures a very high end tubed microphone, and has
allowed me to sit in on many a recording session. What this means is I
know what an instrument should sound like in large halls, chamber music,
studio's and live jazz venues.
When I was 16 years old I bought my first system. A marantz 1060 console
amp and a 105b tuner. Pretty good stuff in the early 70's I could not
afford speakers. I learned how to build speakers. That is how I became a
cabinetmaker/furniture maker.
As my speakers became better, I upgraded equipment. I began with a
luxman Intergrated. A year later, I went to a Luxman MO2 power amp, CO2
preamp(great mm/mc phono stage still) and TO2 tuner. Very good lower end
Audiophile equipment.This was before they were bought by Alpine.
Speakers continued to develope.
Something was missing. Well it's on to tube equipment.
I started with 2 St-70's. Moved on to 2 MK3's and stayed there for 5
years. Pre-amps were a Dynaco Pas 3, than a Heathkit SP2 ( dual mono
pre-amps in a single box) than a Fisher 300cx. Final I settled on an
Audio Research Sp9.
Something was still not right.

I upgraded CD players and settled on a Rega Jupiter. I upgraded
Turntables and cartridges. Luxman turntable, Philips 313 quartz with a
Gardo Gold, MMF- with first the stock Cartridge, then the Grado
Gold,then a Shure V15mx. Final have settled on a Rega 5 with the shure
cartridge and the power supply upgrade.
I added a Tascam 32 1/4" 2 track to save friends vinyl albums.

Amps finally have gone to the Prima Luna Mono tube amps. Sometimes I use
KT88's( base punch)some times EL34's (seimens are really sweet)
Speakers are always evolving. This summers project are Avalon Ceramic
Clones. I already have the ceramic drivers.
All this leads to one thing. How real does the music sound. Rock is for
the most part studio mixed.( try dire staits brother in arms in 200gram
vinyl,Wow) So I listen for is instruments sounding real.
Jazz is another thing. Many recording are live in studio or at some
venue. So they are more complicated. Again, how real does the
instruments sound. How do voices sound. I listen for enjoyment. At times
I will get chills. Test you system with Duke Ellingtons 3 suites CD. If
it is really good, you can actually hear 3 or 4 tiers of musicians with
you eye's closed.

Sunday I had Dish Network over installing equipment. The tech kept
looking over my gear. His idea of good sound was of coarse an IPOD.
His only commnet was, "it sounds like the band is here in your living room"

Tha sums up what high end is to me. Equipment that can reproduce music
that sounds real. Price wise, I do not think you can reach a level of
real music reproduction until you move on to more expensive equipment.
So again, aside from mid-fi gear I see mentioned daily, What constitues
high end to the people in this group.
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

MC wrote:

Moderately good turntables and cartridges are good enough because the vinyl
records themselves, especially if worn, are not all that good. No need to
strengthen a link in the chain that is not the weakest link.

I don't usually come to the defense of the vinylphiles, but I will in
this case. Every little bit helps, and if vinyl reproduction that's
slightly better in any dimension provides a more satisfying sound to
someone, more power to him, I say. Four-figure vinyl rigs make a lot
more sense to me than four-figure digital disk players.

Anyhow,
today's moderately good turntables and cartridges are not bad at all by the
standards of 1970!

In 1970 I was a kid listening to cassettes on a little mono "tape
recorder." But I'll take your word for it.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

wrote:

Serge Auckland wrote:

The cult of the expensive is not confined to hi-fi. Why do people buy
Rolex watches when any quartz watch at £ 1.99 will be more accurate in
time-keeping. It's obviously nothing to do with the Rolex watch being
used for timekeeping, it's pride of ownership, status symbol, having
something expensive, a whole raft of emotional reasons not very far
removed from some hi-fi products that some people buy because they can,
even though equivalent or better performance could be had for much less
money.

Rolex builds a very fine crafted time piece. No $1.99 quartz watch will
ever compare. A rolex will last a hundred years. Your $1.99 quartz
watch will last a few months.
Before Citizen came out with their line of Dive Watches, many divers
used Roles watches. They have a timing ring and are good down to 200
plus feet. When I first learned to dive, a few of my instructors had
Rolex watches. It isn't a money thing. It's a quality thing. They work
and under water your life depends on that.
I've seen cheap, quartz dive watches crap out all the time.
I still have a gold Omega given to me at age 13. Every year it is
serviced and cleaned($30.00) and 45 years later its still running and is
a nice conversation piece. I also have a 45 year old Chronograph with
Hour, second, month, date, day, and Moon dial. No $1.99 quart can ever
replicated the craftmenship that went into making that watch. Good
watches are pieces of art in them selves.
The same holds true for well crafted audio equipment. I'd rather look at
a Zebra or burlwood louspeaker with 20 layers of hand rubbed lacquer
instead of a mass produced, black painted piece of MDF.
I guess it boiles down to class. And no, money does not buy class. You
either have it or you don't
Mike Mueller

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

"bob" wrote in message
MC wrote:

Moderately good turntables and cartridges are good enough because the
vinyl
records themselves, especially if worn, are not all that good. No need
strengthen a link in the chain that is not the weakest link.

I don't usually come to the defense of the vinylphiles, but I will in
this case. Every little bit helps, and if vinyl reproduction that's
slightly better in any dimension provides a more satisfying sound to
someone, more power to him, I say. Four-figure vinyl rigs make a lot
more sense to me than four-figure digital disk players.

Agreed! I overstated my point. Certainly, with vinyl reproduction, there
are lots of analog components that *can* differ substantially between cheap
and expensive models. With digital, there is much less room for variation.

Anyhow,
today's moderately good turntables and cartridges are not bad at all by
the
standards of 1970!

In 1970 I was a kid listening to cassettes on a little mono "tape
recorder." But I'll take your word for it.

I'm not that old either... I've been looking at old magazines. Although,
admittedly, I did have a stereo in 1970... a rather primitive one with lots
of hum.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

mike wrote:
wrote:

Serge Auckland wrote:

[...]

I agree with your views on class, and, incidentally, on watches. I too
have a number of classic watches which I admire for their craftsmanship
and their beauty, but not as practical timepieces. (I don't dive) Your
comments about good-looking loudspeakers as opposed to mass-produced
pieces of MDF is also in accordance with my views, but, in this case we
are both admiring the craftsmanship, the finish, the looks. We are
separating hi-fi equipment into two functions, the aesthetic and the
practical, i.e. its sound reproducing abilities . If you are saying for
something to be "high-end" it needs to have both functions, that is a
valid point of view. My concern is that so much of what is sold as
high-end, sacrifices the latter for the former.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley

mike writes:
mike wrote:
I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Interestingly, no one really addressed my question in black and white.

Well, no. That's because there is no black-and-white answer: there is
a continuum between high-end audio and the rest of the market.
Black-and-white thinking does no-one any good.

I will start again.

I am classically trained. [ ... ]

All this leads to one thing. How real does the music sound. Rock is
for the most part studio mixed.( try dire staits brother in arms in
200gram vinyl,Wow) So I listen for is instruments sounding real.
Jazz is another thing. Many recording are live in studio or at
some venue. So they are more complicated. Again, how real does the
instruments sound. How do voices sound. I listen for enjoyment. At
times I will get chills. Test you system with Duke Ellingtons 3
suites CD. If it is really good, you can actually hear 3 or 4 tiers
of musicians with you eye's closed.

You won't find much disagreement there.

Sunday I had Dish Network over installing equipment. The tech
kept looking over my gear. His idea of good sound was of coarse an
IPOD. His only commnet was, "it sounds like the band is here in
your living room"

Tha sums up what high end is to me. Equipment that can reproduce music
that sounds real.

Or there.

Price wise, I do not think you can reach a level of real music
reproduction until you move on to more expensive equipment.

Or there, probably.

The real issue is whether the "more expensive equipment" that is best
for listening to music is necessarily the very expensive kind made by
boutique outfits. Some people here suspect that's sometimes more to
do with jewellery than sound quality.

There is more than one approach to high-end. Compare and contrast:

* Cary 805 SET amp + hand-built custom horn speakers.

* Quad 99 amp + 989 speakers.

* ATC SCM150 active speakers.

Now, all of these are certainly expensive, and they're *totally*
different. They're all what might fall into the "high end audio"
marketing category.

So again, aside from mid-fi gear I see mentioned daily, What
constitues high end to the people in this group.

I have no way to know what "mid-fi" gear you're talking about. What I
do know for sure is that arguing about what does or does not constitute
high-end is not likely to be productive. It makes far more sense to
discuss what *sounds* good, and that is a rather different matter.

Arguing about a cut-off price for "high end" is silly. It might lead
to the absurd situation where a breakthrough low-cost product would be
off-limits for discussion.

Andrew.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

mike wrote:

The same holds true for well crafted audio equipment. I'd rather look at
a Zebra or burlwood louspeaker with 20 layers of hand rubbed lacquer
instead of a mass produced, black painted piece of MDF.
I guess it boiles down to class. And no, money does not buy class. You
either have it or you don't

Well, now we know what constitutes the high end to YOU.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

mike wrote:
Sunday I had Dish Network over installing equipment. The tech kept
looking over my gear. His idea of good sound was of coarse an IPOD.
His only commnet was, "it sounds like the band is here in your living room"

Tha sums up what high end is to me. Equipment that can reproduce music
that sounds real. Price wise, I do not think you can reach a level of
real music reproduction until you move on to more expensive equipment.
So again, aside from mid-fi gear I see mentioned daily, What constitues
high end to the people in this group.
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Basically, you're unhappy that no one gave you the answer *you wanted* to your question .

Some people equate 'high end' with 'high price' (though a glance and the actual
performance of some high priced high-end gear in the bench test sections of Stereophile et al.
shows us that that equation is not ironclad) . Some do not. I'm sure in the end the
only correct answer is ''high end' gear is gear that makes home audio sound good to me'.
Like Duke said, if it sounds good, it is good. That includes gear you might call 'mid fi'.
Deal with it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
Kalman Rubinson wrote:
[...]

No, I don't own a Rolex, I have a Junghans radio controlled watch that
keeps atomic accuracy, at a fraction of the cost. Why would I want an
expensive watch that wasn't as accurate as even a cheap quartz?

The same argument goes for SETs. Why would I want to buy an inferior
amplifier that cost more than much better performing units?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

Serge Auckland wrote:

The same argument goes for SETs. Why would I want to buy an inferior
amplifier that cost more than much better performing units?

Because it sounds better to you--or at least to anyone who buys one.
There's no law that says we all have to prefer technically superior
reproduction.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

Serge Auckland wrote:
wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
Kalman Rubinson wrote:
[...]

Because it would show you have *class*.

___
-S
Still not bloggin'.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

mike wrote:
I know I've answered a few posts over the last year, but most of my time
is spent just reading. What I have noticed is that most posts are about
mid-fi equipment.
What is considered high end to this newsgroup? $500.00 systems or
$5,000.00 dollar systems?
Thank you
Mike Mueller

--

YIKES!

I have deliberately not posted to this until now. A few comments:

Fly-poop on the right. Pepper on the left. Much of what has transpired
here seems to have been an exercise in separating the co-mingled
aforementioned items.

Rolex Watches: After the first couple of hundred dollars, the rest is
eyewash and the ability to state "I wear a Rolex". If that has value to
someone, then it is a perfectly valid reason to purchase a Rolex.

"Looks" are far down the list from and after performance,
build-quality, longevity, ergonomics and efficiency, also in about that
order. Bluntly, 16 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer vs. better caps and
controls, or transformer(s) is a no-brainer. This is and remains my
opinion, not to be taken as dictum.

Most cost differences are sonically invisible. That is, they make _NO_
difference by any meaningful human-based test. With the specific
statement that I am not even remotely referring to "published
specifications" but only to those things that may be consistently
discerned via true blind testing, even by 'interested parties'.

Vinyl has as much validity as a source as any other. That it has
inherent difficulties and that it no more resembles its original source
than any given OTA analog FM broadcast is entirely irrelevant. Very
damned little recorded music as-reproduced is much better than the
first cousin of the original playing of it. So, TTs & cartridges, like
Rolex Watches reach a point where the differences amount to the
eyewash... already stated as a perfectly valid option for a buyer.

Cutting to the chase: High-end is what _YOU_ feel to be that system
that does not leave you niggling for something better. Period. Or those
systems, if you like (as I do) to experiment with different
technologies.

As one of the shortest posts stated so well: Cost has nothing to do
with it.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
mike wrote:

snip

Cutting to the chase: High-end is what _YOU_ feel to be that system
that does not leave you niggling for something better. Period. Or those
systems, if you like (as I do) to experiment with different
technologies.

As one of the shortest posts stated so well: Cost has nothing to do
with it.

Sorry, Peter, but I must respectfully disagree. Do you not recall that
awhile back I pointed out that your equipment, inflated by the CPI to todays
prices, would put your system into five figures. That is hardly
chump-change. And that despite the fact that you've had the advantage of
the test of time to buy only pieces that represent something of a "best buy"
from their day. As an example, Dynaco Stereo 70 from the mid-sixties is the
pretty much the equivalent in price of a VTL ST-85 today. Ditto for Eico,
Scott, Fisher, Sherwood. So, you bought used.....good for you. But that
doesn't mean they were inexpensive pieces.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message ...
mike wrote:

..
snip

[...]

I have been buying "used" and trading, and dumpster-diving for over 30
years now, going back to a Rabco SL-8E arm pulled out of a dumpster in
1973, well used but in the original box, complete with a decent (for
the time) Shure cartridge, an M91E. I also payed $30 for my first pair
of speakers, a pair of KLH Model 22s, then $40 for a pair of NIB AR4x,
that same year. As I was working even when in college, that was not a
great deal of money. But I learned early on that having Laphroig tastes
with a Night Train wallet would require some creative thinking and some
willingness to learn.

I found out early on that a certain type of person would reject
anything once it failed once. I also learned that this same sort of
person would spend-the-earth for the latest wrinkle in their chosen
vice. So, a little befriending of some of the better audio shops in
this area got me 'first dibs' on all sorts of stuff that came in the
door for trade. Usually with very minor defects... if any. Usually at
prices a tiny fraction of 'new' as most of these shops saw such trades
as necessary evils, wanting no parts of repairing, reselling and *RE
WARRANTING* these items.

Stating that the Revox A720 for which I paid a couple of hundred bucks,
then had serviced for half-again more was an 'expensive' piece when-new
is absolutely true. Or the complete Scott system (based on the LK150)
that I traded a radio for, or the complete Dynaco system similarly
acquired. But it is entirely not relevant to this discussion. What I
have done and continue to do is within the capacity of any patient,
able-minded individual. eBay makes it even easier.

Not to go on too much, but I have a sniping program that I have set up
over the years. It searches eBay every day, and those items that meet
the parameters I have set in are presented to me a couple of times per
week for 'approval'. Sometimes I will get 50+ possibles per week,
sometimes none for weeks. I average something under 2% success for
snipes set. But those are _REAL_ bargains. Add to this a reputation in
the area, at least two radio swaps per year, a plethora of local fleas
and garage sales, that Dynaco, Acrosound, Hafler, Fisher, Sylvania,
RCA, Heil, and a number of others had factories within 50 miles of
where I sit, and my cup runneth over.

No, I do not have a Krell amp, or a Mark Levinson... Nor do I own a
Rolex (in fact, I own only one watch, a keywind fusee pocket-watch). It
is a matter of taste, time, inclination and opportunity. The nice thing
about a hobby is that it is open-ended. Maybe one day that Krell will
be sitting at the curb because a couple of fuses blew... Exactly the
way I got my first Dynaco FM-3 tuner and almost a year later from the
same curb a Rabco ST-7 with a slipped (not missing or broken) belt.

There is also a great deal of satisfaction in taking something that is
not working, and bringing it back to life to not only work, but work
well and work reliably. The best part of the hobby after the listening.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
That's an interesting statement. How many have you listened to and with
which speakers?

Scott:

That he did make an absolute statement does give you the edgewise you
need for yours. However, had he added the codicil: "All other things
being equal", it is likely that his statement would be inarguable from
any rational point of view.

SET systems are unique in that they do not concern themselves with most
of the parameters "normally" taken into account when assembling a
system. They appeal to certain types of individuals for any of various
reasons, possibly those same sorts of people who drove Jaguars when
they were equipped with SU side-draft carburetors and Lucas electrics.
Not a rational vehicle by any measure, however much desired.

But just as that Jaguar has its place in the automotive pantheon, so do
SET-based systems. That they consume vast quantities of time, energy
and cash from their misguided adherents... who then must foray into
so-called "full-range, single-driver horn speakers" in order to
accomodate the very real limitations of SET is another mark of
irrationality... that Jaguar driver with two identical cars so that one
could be in the shop at all times.

De gustibus non est disputandum. There are those that eat (and
presumably enjoy) tripe (animal stomach lining), sauerkraut (rotten
cabbage), and lutefisk (rotten fish soaked in lye). Such is the power
of SET.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

Vinyl Rules! wrote:

When I listen to this el cheapo system in the guest bedroom I question
just how much real engineering progress has been made since the 1970's
in audio equipment design and how much more sophisticated the marketing
is for so-called "high end" audio.

Well, CD players at least have improved a lot since then. :-)

Speakers certainly have as well, though that doesn't mean that every
current speaker will sound better (to you) than every old speaker. And
while amps may not be much better at the state-of-the-art level, I
suspect there's more consistent quality at the budget level.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

That's an interesting statement. How many have you listened to and with
which speakers?

Scott:

That he did make an absolute statement does give you the edgewise you
need for yours. However, had he added the codicil: "All other things
being equal", it is likely that his statement would be inarguable from
any rational point of view.

Preferences are indeed inarguable from any rational point of view. but
I am not trying to argue with his preferences just better understand
them.

[...]

This may come as a surprise to you but there are any number of
audiophiles using SETs with multiple driver speakers.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

wrote in message
[...]

Especially Klipsch horns and their 50's brethren.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Harry Lavo wrote:
Especially Klipsch horns and their 50's brethren.

You are absolutely right. I should have added: Or spend thousands of
dollars and acres of real-estate to have multiple-driver systems...

It is funny, when certain choices are made, certain problems are
created. And each time one of those is solved, other ones crop up. If
there were a universally agree-upon solution to Audio, then this NG
simply would not exist.

Writing for myself, I take the brute-force approach to amplification.
Given that speakers are (IMO) the weakest link in any system and should
be the place where one starts rather than ends in the acquisition
process, having "Lots-O-Watts" (and presumably very clean ones) removes
one restriction from the choice of speakers available. I also prefer to
have speakers capable of visceral bass if that bass is in the original
signal, an additional complication.

And at the risk of repetition, I would state categorically that after a
certain minimum level of quality is reached with amplification, the
actual discernable differences in sound as prices increase are minimal,
if not negligble all other things being equal. Not so at all with
speakers. By "differences", again to repeat, I mean those things that
may be reliably and repeatably detected through blind testing, even by
interested parties.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA