Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default organic electrolytics in audio equipment?

wrote in message

On Feb 7, 6:44 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

One of the dirty little secrets of computing is that multiple cores ("The
next big thing" for the last 2 years) don't do anything for most
software.
It's even hard to get multiple apps going long enough to benefit from
that
aspect of the benefits of multiple cores.

Bottom line - take an older (2-3 years) machine and give it modern
amounts
of RAM which is dirt cheap these days, and it may stand up to a very hot
new
machine very well.

If you really want a thrill, upgrade the 2-3 year old clunker with a
couple
of 1 GB drives in a RAID array, which most motherboards have supported
for
the past 2-3 years.

OTOH. I do make steady use of video editing of video editing software
that
does exploit multiple processors, and they are very nice for rendering
and
the like.

Start task manager and take a look at the processes.

Been there, done that.

Each one of hose exes goes computable periodically.

Multiple cores do no good if the processor is idle or can be scheduled
shortly.

Multiple core does help.

No doubt multiple core is a help, but in fact it rarely provides an
effective multiplication of power. While my 3 desktops are all multiple
core, I am frequently working on customer machines that are single core. A
really, fast single core is still the best solution.