Bruce Abrams

Default Dielectric properties

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
*snip*
1) Sighted listening is *known* to be useless for the discrimination
of subtle sonic differences, and yet you will not even *try* a blind
test. Clearly, you do *not* trust your ears, despite your
protestations.

Prove that. I can offer counter-evidence. I tried three different
products, and the results were unambiguous and consistent, even though
the green pen did not work in all instances, it clearly did on others.

They were unambiguous and consistent when you knew what you were listening
to. If you don't listen blind, how will you ever know that you really heard
what you thought you heard? It's like saying I can pick a glass of my
favorite Cabernet in a tasting consistently, as long I can see the labels
while I'm tasting.

2) The green pen effect was a *joke*, and there is no physical
mechanism by which it *can* work.

That's false.

Kindly explain, then, exactly what mechanism it is that results in any
electrical change that results from the application of a green pen to the
edges of a CD.

Stewart Pinkerton

Default Dielectric properties > DBT Debate

On 13 Oct 2003 21:53:28 GMT, (Mkuller) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
1) Sighted listening is *known* to be useless for the discrimination
of subtle sonic differences, and yet you will not even *try* a blind
test.

Wait, you must mean "Blind listening is *known* to be useless for the
discrimination of subtle sonic differences. Come on, get it right. *Everyone*
knows DBTs remove subtle sonic differences.

Mike, 'everyone knows' that crop circles are made by aliens. Your
complaint is that out here in the real world, there is *no* test which
will show that your beloved and grotesquely overpriced MIT cables
sound different from zipcord - unless of you course you *know* what's
connected.

Can you show a published DBT that
showed any subtle differences? Of course not. What a kidder you are.

I can certainly show DBT tests that reveal subtle but *audible*
differences. I can not show you any DBTs that show *inaudible*
differences, such as between cables.

You OTOH can show no unsighted tests of *any* kind, which show that
two cables sound different. The simple placing of a cloth over the
connections seems to magically destroy all these 'night and day'
differences that you guys keep claiming. Who's the kidder?

2) The green pen effect was a *joke*, and there is no physical
mechanism by which it *can* work. Hence, you did *not* hear anything
which exists in the physical world.

Paint on a CD = physical change.

Not in the output of the reading mechanism and electronics. None,
nada, zip. And why? Because there is *no* physical mechanism by which
the 'green pen' effect *can* work. All your handwaving and baseless
claims will make no difference to this basic *fact*.

According to you, "competent amps" have no
mechanism to sound different either

That is a flat lie, there are plenty such mechanisms.

- since you don't know how to measure the
differences. But *everyone* know amps sound different.

Sure they do - when you *know* which one is playing. As Zip and others
demonstrated, all these 'huge, night and day' differences magically
evaporate when you don't *know* what's playing. As ever, you think
that you speak for 'everyone', when in fact you only speak for the
gullible minority who will not acknowledge reality.

You crack me up...

Of course I do, because you have nothing but handwaving rhetoric.

Michael Scarpitti

Bruce Abrams wrote in message ...
[...]

To prove 'bias' has the effect you say, you should try the following
(just a suggestion)

1. Get THREE samples of, say, $100 Monster cable
2. Disguise or alter their physical identity so they all look
different
3. Conduct 'open' listening tests with a significant number of test
subjects
4. Conduct the same test with three or more sample groups
5. Conduct the same test with the equipment undisguised
6. Compare results

Bruce Abrams

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message

*snip*

To prove 'bias' has the effect you say, you should try the following
(just a suggestion)

1. Get THREE samples of, say, $100 Monster cable
2. Disguise or alter their physical identity so they all look
different
3. Conduct 'open' listening tests with a significant number of test
subjects
4. Conduct the same test with three or more sample groups
5. Conduct the same test with the equipment undisguised
6. Compare results

I think the test you want to perform is as follows:

1. Take 3 samples of esoteric, "high-end" cable
2. Disguise (or hide) their identity
3. Conduct 'open' listening tests with a number of test subjects
4. Determine how many of the test subjects can accurately and consistently
identify which cable is being used at any point in time after any amount of
listening.

I've performed this test many times with over a dozen interconnects and 8
different test subjects. The results of this test are what convinced me
that the high-end cable industry is essentially engaged in selling snow to
Eskimos.

A few years ago I was auditioning some interconnects...PBJ, KCAG, Audioquest
Emerald, DIY microphone cable with Neutrik RCAs and several others. I
thought I had switched from PBJ to KCAG the night before and when I sat down
to listen, I heard beautiful, crystal clear highs that had no edge or grain.
When I got up after an hour or so to switch back to the PBJ to confirm my
findings, I saw that I had in fact been listening to PBJ all allong. So I
ran out to the local Rat Shack to get some of their premium interconnects
and ordered some (with respect to Steve Lamper) dirt cheap Canare mic cable
that I terminated with Neutrik RCAs. Then I gave the lot to my wife and we
had some "fun with cables" (keeping it 'G' rated). I even invited my
brother and several other audiophile friends for a listen.

Without knowing which was playing, noone could tell the difference, yet all
had claimed to have heard cables sounding differently prior to this
experience.

Try the same test yourself and save yourself a whole lot of money and
useless "did you hear that?!?" time. It's amazing how much more music I
actually listen to now that I don't worry about things like cables and magic
bricks anymore.
Michael Squires

In article ,
Fred E. Davis wrote:
On 13 Oct 2003 21:53:01 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message

2) The green pen effect was a *joke*, and there is no physical
mechanism by which it *can* work.

That's false.

No, it's true. The favorite story is that the green ink 'absorbs stray

However, there was the audio CD protection scheme that was broken using
a black Sharpie. That "crack" did, however, have a reasonable explanation.

One has to be a little careful - the 1970's "golden ear" crowd were in
fact correct about problems with early solid-state devices, and it took
some engineers who were also avid listeners to pin down the problems.
One that I remember: a lot of early solid-state preamps were very
nonlinear above 20Khz and had no input filtering, and it takes only
a few minutes with a moving coil phono cartridge and a spectrum
analyzer to see that this is not true (it's not music, but it
produces audible (IM) distortion). Testing amps with 20Hz to 20Khz
sound was never going to find this problem. There were similar
problems with solid state power amps; for example, full range ESL's
would easily drive amps like the Dyna Stereo 400 into current
limiting at sound levels where Dyna MKII's would be occasionally
clipping. Vacuum tube designs would measure worse using standard
tests but would sound better than their solid-state replacements
(for example, the Marantz 7 and 7T, and the Dyna PAS-3 and PAT-4).

Mike Squires
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
Michael Scarpitti

[...]

My post was intended to be a sort of DBT on DBT itself, and unless you
didn't follow, that should have been clear. You have to establish THAT
'bias' even exists BEFORE you can use it as a explanatory mechanism.

Was that not clear?
Bruce Abrams

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
My post was intended to be a sort of DBT on DBT itself, and unless you
didn't follow, that should have been clear. You have to establish THAT
'bias' even exists BEFORE you can use it as a explanatory mechanism.

Was that not clear?

The existence of bias in product testing has been an accepted fact for
decades. That's why there are ALWAYS controls in place and sighted tests
are given no validity. Until you accept that as a fact, further argument is
pointless. If you wish to convince yourself that you heard something, try
hearing it without knowing that you should be. If you're happy simply
thinking that you heard something, by all means continue doing what makes
you happy. Just don't try to rationalize the decision by trying to convince
yourself or anyone else that you know with any degree of certainty what you
heard. Only a bias controlled test can prove that. Audio is no more unique
in this respect than taste testing, tactile (eg. quality of material in
clothing) or other consumer product testing. If I gave you two otherwise
identical shampoos that have different scents, your reaction to how your
hair felt after washing would be radically different. Similarly, if I gave
you two otherwise identical amps to listen that had different cases (perhaps
one with huge, heavy, useless heatsinks), your reaction to their respective
sounds would likewise be different.
Mkuller

Bruce Abrams : wrote:
The existence of bias in product testing has been an accepted fact for
decades. That's why there are ALWAYS controls in place and sighted tests
are given no validity.
Until you accept that as a fact, further argument is
pointless. If you wish to convince yourself that you heard something, try
hearing it without knowing that you should be. If you're happy simply
thinking that you heard something, by all means continue doing what makes
you happy. Just don't try to rationalize the decision by trying to convince
yourself or anyone else that you know with any degree of certainty what you
heard. Only a bias controlled test can prove that. Audio is no more unique
in this respect than taste testing, tactile (eg. quality of material in
clothing) or other consumer product testing.

snip

If sighted audio components tests have no validity, 100,000 or so audiophiles
would not subscribe to Stereophile and other magazines to read them. Obviously
most audiophiles have found them useful in some way.

Yes, biases do exist. However, the problem I have with ABX-type DBTs is that it
has never been proven scientifically that:
1. they are appropriate for amateur audio enthusiasts to use for comparing
audio components using music as the source (just because DBTs are used very
differently in other settings is no proof).
2. they don't remove more than *just bias* in the audio equipment
comparisons. Until you can prove this, the rest is speculation and hand waving.

In the mean time, I would suggest "long term observational listening, with
carefully matched levels at switching" which I have described here before.
While it may not be perfect at filtering out all biases and preconceptions for
everyone - you may get some false positives - you will not get all of the false
negatives (i.e. null results) you get from ABX. So take your pick - false
positives or false negatives.

What *if* the few rigid objectivists here who insist ABX is the only answer -
are wrong, and the near 100,000 audiophiles are right? In their hearts the
ABXers must ultimately fear this, because as audiophiles they want the *best
possible* music reproduction from their systems. They would discover that the
*just-as-good-stuff* actually isn't. They would have been fooling themselves
into rationalizing the purchase of cheaper equipment that doesn't sound nearly
as good as their flawed tests showed.

On the other hand, if the rest of the audiophiles are wrong, and ABX is *the
one true way*, our systems still sound as great as we think they do - we've
just spent a few more bucks (and more time listening to cables) than we needed
to.
Regards,
Mike

Bruce Abrams

"Mkuller" wrote in message
*snip*
If sighted audio components tests have no validity, 100,000 or so

audiophiles
would not subscribe to Stereophile and other magazines to read them.

Obviously
most audiophiles have found them useful in some way.

This is a false supposition. The "high-end" industry (and the audiophiles
that proudly associate themselves with it) has been predicated on the false
premise of sighted component testing. Audiophiles who read Stereophile and
other mags have rarely, if ever, been exposed to the notion of blind
testing.

Yes, biases do exist. However, the problem I have with ABX-type DBTs is

that it
has never been proven scientifically that:
1. they are appropriate for amateur audio enthusiasts to use for

comparing
audio components using music as the source (just because DBTs are used

very
differently in other settings is no proof).
2. they don't remove more than *just bias* in the audio equipment
comparisons. Until you can prove this, the rest is speculation and hand

waving.

Blind testing has been an scientifically proven and accepted element of
product testing in virtually every industry in the last 100 years. Until
you can prove that blind testing removes more than *just bias* in audio
testing, the rest is speculation and hand waving.

In the mean time, I would suggest "long term observational listening, with
carefully matched levels at switching" which I have described here before.
While it may not be perfect at filtering out all biases and preconceptions

for
everyone - you may get some false positives - you will not get all of the

false
negatives (i.e. null results) you get from ABX. So take your pick - false
positives or false negatives.

Kindly explain what your objection would be to engaging in the exact same
"long term observational listening, with carefully matched levels at
switching", only "black boxing" the equipment under review, as I've
previously discussed. Nothing would be changed except for the knowledge of
which component one was listening to.

What *if* the few rigid objectivists here who insist ABX is the only

answer -
are wrong, and the near 100,000 audiophiles are right? In their hearts

the
ABXers must ultimately fear this, because as audiophiles they want the

*best
possible* music reproduction from their systems. They would discover that

the
*just-as-good-stuff* actually isn't. They would have been fooling

themselves
into rationalizing the purchase of cheaper equipment that doesn't sound

nearly
as good as their flawed tests showed.

First things first, I've never suggested that ABX is the only answer. Other
blind protocols for bias control (such as described above and previously)
are certainly better than sighted listening and avoid the potential for
false negatives that you claim are inherent in the ABX protocol.

On the other hand, if the rest of the audiophiles are wrong, and ABX is

*the
one true way*, our systems still sound as great as we think they do -

we've
just spent a few more bucks (and more time listening to cables) than we

needed
to.

Secondly and to your "worst case" point...Lets take the example of someone
who spends $3500 on speakers and is convinced to spend $1500 on various
interconnects and cables. If he were to engage in a DBT of cables and found
them to be audibly indistinguishable and therefore spend the $1500 on better
speakers or even on music, wouldn't he be far better off? This is the
genesis of my issue with the high-end cable makers. Their dubious (at best)
claims of audible superiority invariably result in worse sounding systems
for the money.

Regards,
Mike

Stewart Pinkerton

On 15 Oct 2003 15:35:51 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

You have read Bruce's post, you've read my posts, there's 100 years of
evidence that bias exists (and totally swamps any subtle differences
that *may* exist between components in any sighted test), and you
*still* think that because you heard it, it must be true? Sheesh!

Stewart Pinkerton

On 15 Oct 2003 21:43:52 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On 14 Oct 2003 17:57:40 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Bruce Abrams wrote in message ...
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message

2) The green pen effect was a *joke*, and there is no physical
mechanism by which it *can* work.

That's false.

Kindly explain, then, exactly what mechanism it is that results in any
electrical change that results from the application of a green pen to the
edges of a CD.

To prove 'bias' has the effect you say, you should try the following
(just a suggestion)

See Bruce Abrams excellent reply (BTW, a similar 'accident' with amps
made the scales fall from my own eyes, back when I was a 'true
believer'). Now, how about you answer the question?

I am not, nor was I ever a 'true believer'. I was and remain a
skeptic. I hear what I hear and pay no attention whatsoever to what
anyone else claims. I'm Popeye the sailor man.

Sorry Mike, you are most certainly *not* a skeptic, you remain rooted
in your solipsistic belief that you are the only person in the world
to whom sighted bias does not apply. It seems pointless to argue with
someone so unwilling to accept objective evidence.

If you refuse to even *try* a blind test because you are utterly
convinced that what you hear in sighted testing is real, that is *not*
the mark of a skeptic, it's the mark of a deeply insecure person who
is sticking his fingers in his ears and refusing to listen to reason.

*You* claim that there *is* a mechanism for the 'green pen effect', so
exactly what do *you* claim that it is?

I claim my car starts every morning, does that mean I have to explain
it to you? Uh...nope!

In other words, you have no idea what you're talking about. Fine,
we're clear about that. I must say that you are at least consistent.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 16 Oct 2003 01:01:24 GMT, (Mkuller) wrote:

Yes, biases do exist. However, the problem I have with ABX-type DBTs is that it
has never been proven scientifically that:
1. they are appropriate for amateur audio enthusiasts to use for comparing
audio components using music as the source (just because DBTs are used very
differently in other settings is no proof).

It's suitable for me, and I'm an amateur audio enthusiast.

2. they don't remove more than *just bias* in the audio equipment
comparisons. Until you can prove this, the rest is speculation and hand waving.

I can't prove that parts of the Moon are *not* made of green cheese,
but I can easily prove that bias swamps subtle sonic differences in
sighted testing.

In the mean time, I would suggest "long term observational listening, with
carefully matched levels at switching" which I have described here before.
While it may not be perfect at filtering out all biases and preconceptions for
everyone - you may get some false positives - you will not get all of the false
negatives (i.e. null results) you get from ABX. So take your pick - false
positives or false negatives.

Been there, done that. When the test is unsighted, the results are the
same as for short-term quick switched tests - except that the latter
are more sensitive.

What *if* the few rigid objectivists here who insist ABX is the only answer -
are wrong, and the near 100,000 audiophiles are right? In their hearts the
ABXers must ultimately fear this, because as audiophiles they want the *best
possible* music reproduction from their systems. They would discover that the
*just-as-good-stuff* actually isn't. They would have been fooling themselves
into rationalizing the purchase of cheaper equipment that doesn't sound nearly
as good as their flawed tests showed.

You are totally wrong in your assumption - don't judge others by your
own standards. The whole point of my skeptical standpoint is that I
really *do* want to know what sonic differences exist among audio
components. If you or anyone else can demonstrate an unsighted test
which reveals an audible difference not discernible under ABX testing,
then I will be *delighted* to use such a test in the future. No Mike,
it is *you* who is afraid that those outrageously expensive cables of
yours are in reality no better than zipcord.

On the other hand, if the rest of the audiophiles are wrong, and ABX is *the
one true way*, our systems still sound as great as we think they do - we've
just spent a few more bucks (and more time listening to cables) than we needed
to.

Indeed so, and to think that you could have had better speakers! :-)

Phil

"Mkuller" wrote in message
wrote

If sighted audio components tests have no validity, 100,000 or so
audiophiles
would not subscribe to Stereophile and other magazines to read them.

Obviously
most audiophiles have found them useful in some way.

I'm one of the 100,000. Stereophile is definitely useful in some ways:

It's entertaining. It keeps me up to date on developments in the high end
audio field. It usually has lab test results that give me an idea of the
performance of the component. At the price, I see no reason not to
subscribe.

How do I feel about the sighted evaluatiions? I don't bother to read them.

Norm Strong

Steven Sullivan

Mkuller wrote:
Bruce Abrams : wrote:
[...]

True, a community of believers can impart within-group 'validity' to all
sorts of strange and objectively unsupported beliefs. That brand of
validation is only 'useful' to those who believe.

Yes, biases do exist. However, the problem I have with ABX-type DBTs is that it
has never been proven scientifically that:
1. they are appropriate for amateur audio enthusiasts to use for comparing
audio components using music as the source (just because DBTs are used very
differently in other settings is no proof).
2. they don't remove more than *just bias* in the audio equipment
comparisons. Until you can prove this, the rest is speculation and hand waving.

It's intersting how people like you wield the cudgel of 'scientific proof'
with one hand, and the '100,000 audiophiles can't be wrong' cudgel in the
other.

From a scientific POV there's simply no need to 'prove' the efficacy of DBT;
your point #2 is jsut so much hand-waving, given that DBTs have long
been the *established standard* for validating audible difference. Any
major problems with DBT, as you conjecture for poitn #2, would have to
have been noticed by now, given *decades* of DBT use in psychoacoustic
science and in developnent of sound-producing and transmitting devices.
But alas there is *no* evidence to support conjecture #2. Therefore the
onus is on *you* to provide evidence that point #2 is a real
*problem*...and not just a mind game.

As for your point #1, if you were *really* interested in scientific
proof, you'd be advocating the use of scientific methods for component
comparison. Your own writing in TAS and here exhibits NO evidence
that you are interested in that at all. I conclude that
you aren't in the least interested in scientific proof of audible
difference.

In the mean time, I would suggest "long term observational listening, with
carefully matched levels at switching" which I have described here before.

Which has *demonstrated*, not conjectural , flaws.

While it may not be perfect at filtering out all biases and preconceptions for
everyone - you may get some false positives - you will not get all of the false
negatives (i.e. null results) you get from ABX. So take your pick - false
positives or false negatives.

Except..you haven't demonstrated that the negatives *are* false.

You are making serious errors of logic here, repeatedly. You are assuming
what you need to prove.

What *if* the few rigid objectivists here who insist ABX is the only answer -
are wrong, and the near 100,000 audiophiles are right?
In their hearts the
ABXers must ultimately fear this, because as audiophiles they want the *best
possible* music reproduction from their systems. They would discover that the
*just-as-good-stuff* actually isn't. They would have been fooling themselves
into rationalizing the purchase of cheaper equipment that doesn't sound nearly
as good as their flawed tests showed.

"What if' does not consistute evidence, or proof, alas.
But in the same vein:

*WHAT IF* a great many audiophile products really *don't* sound different from
their less expensive and glamorous counterparts? In their hearts subjectivists
must ultimately fear this.

On the other hand, if the rest of the audiophiles are wrong, and ABX is *the
one true way*, our systems still sound as great as we think they do - we've
just spent a few more bucks (and more time listening to cables) than we needed
to.

If the emperor really has no clothes...what does it say about the courtiers?

--
-S.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 16 Oct 2003 18:10:14 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Your own writing in TAS and here exhibits NO evidence
that you are interested in that at all. I conclude that
you aren't in the least interested in scientific proof of audible
difference.

Actually, doesn't the fact that he gets *paid* for writing purple
prose about audible difference, ring a few alarm bells concerning his
standpoint?.............

Mkuller

(Stewart Pinkerton)
You have read Bruce's post, you've read my posts, there's 100 years of
evidence that bias exists (and totally swamps any subtle differences
that *may* exist between components in any sighted test), and you
*still* think that because you heard it, it must be true? Sheesh!

Stewart, you keep saying this but refuse to provide any evidence. Wow, a
hundred years. That sounds like a lot. So you should be able to provide
something in the way of evidence to convince the rest of us.

At what point do biases swamp subtle differences between components? The exact
point please. Would it be 0.1 db in loudness difference? Or would it be
1.75db of loudness difference?

Or are humans so biased that it is every single time, even listening to
speakers? How do you measure bias?

Let's say I have little or no biases - then I should be able to hear subtle
audible differences sighted, right? And then if an ABX test prevents me from
hearing the subtle differences, the test must be the problem. Right? Please
give us an explaination.
Regards,
Mike

Mkuller

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
Actually, doesn't the fact that he gets *paid* for writing purple
prose about audible difference, ring a few alarm bells concerning his
standpoint?.............

Always looking for a conspiracy or a sinister motive, eh Stewart. Do you think
trying to impeach me will make you look more credible?

First, when I was "getting paid" for writing equipment reviews, (at least
someone thought enough of my opinions to pay me) I think the most I ever got
for a full review was $300 (2-3 months work). No one does it for the money.
After reviewing for 15 years, I gave it up in 1999 when I started my third new
business since there is a tremendous amount of time involved in doing careful,
thorough reviews (countless hours of listening to and switching equipment).

So to be accurate you should say, "used to get *paid* for writing...
about...audible differences."
Regards,
Mike
Mkuller

Bruce Abrams wrote:
This is a false supposition. The "high-end" industry (and the audiophiles
that proudly associate themselves with it) has been predicated on the false
premise of sighted component testing. Audiophiles who read Stereophile and
other mags have rarely, if ever, been exposed to the notion of blind
testing.

Wrong. It is a subject discussed many times in Stereophile. I would bet that
the majority of audiophiles have engaged in a blind comparison of some kind.
However, if they are like me, they were amused by the results but found no real
correlation between the test and what they hear under ordinary (sighted)
conditions.

Yes, biases do exist. However, the problem I have with ABX-type DBTs is

that it
has never been proven scientifically that:
1. they are appropriate for amateur audio enthusiasts to use for

comparing
audio components using music as the source (just because DBTs are used

very
differently in other settings is no proof).
2. they don't remove more than *just bias* in the audio equipment
comparisons. Until you can prove this, the rest is speculation and hand

waving.

Blind testing has been an scientifically proven and accepted element of
product testing in virtually every industry in the last 100 years.

And blind testing is used in clinical psychometric research. So what? None of
these are the same as untrained average audiophiles using a source - music -
with questionable sensitivity for blind testing to compare audio components.
snip

Kindly explain what your objection would be to engaging in the exact same
"long term observational listening, with carefully matched levels at
switching", only "black boxing" the equipment under review, as I've
previously discussed. Nothing would be changed except for the knowledge of
which component one was listening to.

I have no objection whatsoever to your "black box method". In fact I suspect
it would be superior to an ABX test because the listener's brain does not have
to switch gears to make a decision on whether an unknown sounds like A or B.
It is much closer to the way we perform relaxed observational listening to
different components.
snip

First things first, I've never suggested that ABX is the only answer. Other
blind protocols for bias control (such as described above and previously)
are certainly better than sighted listening and avoid the potential for
false negatives that you claim are inherent in the ABX protocol.

Agreed. However, a few other posters here seem to feel that ABX is THE only
answer.
Regards,
Mike

Nousaine

(Mkuller) wrote:

Steven Sullivan
wrote:
True, a community of believers can impart within-group 'validity' to all
sorts of strange and objectively unsupported beliefs. That brand of
validation is only 'useful' to those who believe.

I suspect that's why the Audio Critic continues to be published.

From a scientific POV there's simply no need to 'prove' the efficacy of DBT;
your point #2 is jsut so much hand-waving, given that DBTs have long
been the *established standard* for validating audible difference. Any
major problems with DBT, as you conjecture for poitn #2, would have to
have been noticed by now, given *decades* of DBT use in psychoacoustic
science and in developnent of sound-producing and transmitting devices.

Ok, I think we can all agree that dbts are the *established standard* in
psychoacoustic science and research for *decades* now. So you never need to
say that again.

OK, now from a scientific POV how do you get from the above fact to claiming
that ABX is the only way for average audiophiles to identify subtle audible
differences with audio components using music as a source - since you claim
understand they dbts are used in completely different ways for completely
different things in clinical research.
snip

No one says that ABX is the only way to conduct bias controlled listening
tests. It's simply the most elegant and effective way.

A coin, a blanket, an inquiring mind and an honest interest in knowing the
truth are all that's needed. That's one of the most important aspects of this
line of inquiry .... sophisticated equipment and special test facilities are
not needed.

If the emperor really has no clothes...what does it say about the courtiers?

Perhaps it says, "Stewart, I think we have a problem."
Regards,
Mike

Well said if you substitute "Mike" for the first word.

Nousaine

(Roscoe East) wrote:

(Mkuller) wrote in message
If sighted audio components tests have no validity, 100,000 or so

audiophiles
would not subscribe to Stereophile and other magazines to read them.

If circulation were a criteria I'd say that the half-million subscribers of
presumably "mid-fi" S&V may know something that Stereophile readers don't (and
this is probably true) and the much larger reader base of The National Enquirer
tells us that Alien Abductions are common.

Obviously
most audiophiles have found them useful in some way.

Actually I find Stereophile to be quite entertaining. It's a great source of
audio-poetry and fruitless attempts to match non-sonic open evaluation and
measurements.

But to call it useful is a stretch for me, unless you view entertainment as
"useful." Viewed in that context it may well be; but for making purchase
decisions it's fairly useless because; 1) nearly every product reviewed appears
on the Recommended Components List; 2) many of the products rated by sound
quality (A,B,C,D,E,K, etc) would appear by the measurements published in the
magazine to be sonically indistinguishable from each other (even using the
published controlled listening tests published in the magazine itself) and 3)
the publication has only recently learned how to count (last spring the RCL
issue trumeted "700 Recommended Components" when there were only a little more
than 500 on the List.

That has been rectified in the most recently published list ..... but only
after it was exposed on line.

Also the term "most" audiophiles would artifically limit the population to a
little more than 100,000 (assuming that all subscribers are audiophiles, I've
heard that Stereophile appears on the tables in muffler and beauty shops) which
implies that the circulation of S&V is much more useful to a larger group of
enthusiasts.

Of course that's just conjecture; but it's most likely more on the mark than
the other supositions which were made purely on conjecture..... a subscription
base of 100,000 (mosy likely overstated by 10-15%) showed that "most
audiophiles" found the magazine "useful." .

Doesn't it seem likely (or at least possible) that much of the appeal
of the product review methodologies employed by Stereophile, TAS, etc
is the "me too" factor?

Mr. Reviewer sits down with his favorite recordings, listens to music,
swaps a few components around, and passes judgement...the reader at
home says "hey, I'm going to try that" and sooner or later finds
himself empowered with the ability to discern Depth Of Soundstage,
Mid-Bass Bloom, Etched Highs, A Lifelike Sense Of "Action", etc.

By virtue of the fact that an audiophile is by definition a hobbyist,
the only thing that seperates a Harry Pearson from a TomDick&Harry is
how long they've been listening to cool toys, & how many different
cool toys they've had the opportunity to listen to. This is a very
inclusive club; all it takes is time & money, and anyone can play.

The usefulness audiophiles find in Stereophile's product reviews has
nothing to do with whether or not those perceived differences between
audio componants are "real" or not; they appeal to other audiophiles
because they validate the reader's own opinions, and ultimately their
own self-worth.

I agree. The product doesn't have to fix a problem real or imagined; the user
only has to 'think' it does.

I spoke with a manufacturer at the AESConvention who said he was dropping out
of the high-end segment because it was based mostly on owner insecurity.
Nousaine

(Mkuller) wrote

(Stewart Pinkerton)
You have read Bruce's post, you've read my posts, there's 100 years of
evidence that bias exists (and totally swamps any subtle differences
that *may* exist between components in any sighted test), and you
*still* think that because you heard it, it must be true? Sheesh!

Stewart, you keep saying this but refuse to provide any evidence. Wow, a
hundred years. That sounds like a lot. So you should be able to provide
something in the way of evidence to convince the rest of us.

Here's one: "Can You Trust Your Ears" 91st AES Convention Preprint 3177.

At what point do biases swamp subtle differences between components? The
exact
point please. Would it be 0.1 db in loudness difference? Or would it be
1.75db of loudness difference?

They would swamp truly audible differences when subjects were hearing the same
thing twice in a row. Why don't you divulge the exact point where
open-listening passes signals that are masked when bias controls are
implemented?

Or are humans so biased that it is every single time, even listening to
speakers? How do you measure bias?

Let's say I have little or no biases - then I should be able to hear subtle
audible differences sighted, right? And then if an ABX test prevents me from
hearing the subtle differences, the test must be the problem. Right? Please
give us an explaination.

If you can "hear" subtle differences that disappear when bias controls are
implemented it can ONLY mean that the differences you claimed to hear weren't
acoustically based.
Steven Sullivan

Bruce Abrams wrote:
This is a false supposition. The "high-end" industry (and the audiophiles
that proudly associate themselves with it) has been predicated on the false
premise of sighted component testing. Audiophiles who read Stereophile and
other mags have rarely, if ever, been exposed to the notion of blind
testing.

Wrong. It is a subject discussed many times in Stereophile. I would bet that
the majority of audiophiles have engaged in a blind comparison of some kind.
However, if they are like me, they were amused by the results but found no real
correlation between the test and what they hear under ordinary (sighted)
conditions.

Like I said; you really aren't interested in scientific evidence or results or
proof. You're mainly interested in *confirming your sighted perceptions* -- which,
according to decades of science, run a significant chance of being *wrong*.

But you are right that Stereophile *has* considered the matter of bias on
occasion...and waffled on it or taken the utterly unsupported stance that you
take -- that 'we don't know why' sighted differences often disappear when
subjected to ABX controls. See for example the extraodinary editorial
contortions, misrerpresentation of blind testing,
and demonstrations of bias preserved in stereophile's archives:

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?141

wherein statistical arguments offered by a reader
are used to raise the possibility of false negatives....leaving
aside the point that for *listeners who have already decided they
can hear a difference between two components under sighted conditions*,
this would not be a relevant factor. To the extent is
deals with DBT at all, Stereophile likes to conduct
'big' DBTs, using audiences full of listeners undesr sometimes
questionable conditions. It's not necessary. What's necessary
is for Stereophile to test its OWN claims made by
individuals associated witht eh magazine.

"Audiophiles' and reviewers in Stereophile commonly use language
that implies *obvious* audible difference.
Those should not be swamped by statistics in a DBT. If they are,
the logical response is NOT to question the statistical analysis
of the DBT, but to question whether the 'obvious' difference
existed at all in the first place.

Audiophiles claim that with long term listening they can
discern the difference between component A and B. THere is
no reason why this should disappear during trials like the
ones undergone by Steve Zipser at Sunshine audio, where HIS
components, and HIS music were being comapred in HIS
environment. Stereophile hides behind the 'you haven't
tested enough people' canard -- when all that's required
of THEM is for THEIR reviewers to have THEIR claims tested.

David Carlstrom challenges John Atkinson to do just
that, in the exchange of letters archived above. He points out
that the ABX box was invented so that audiophiles could more
easily test *themselves* to their satisfaction under DBT
conditions...thereby addressing the
objections that arise when test results obtained for person X
are applied to person Y.

And blind testing is used in clinical psychometric research. So what? None of
these are the same as untrained average audiophiles using a source - music -
with questionable sensitivity for blind testing to compare audio components.
snip

Except, trained 'audiophiles' HAVE been subjected to listening tests
using music -- and the results HAVE accorded with the predictions of
psychometric research -- namely, that bias often leads listeners
astray.

Kindly explain what your objection would be to engaging in the exact same
"long term observational listening, with carefully matched levels at
switching", only "black boxing" the equipment under review, as I've
previously discussed. Nothing would be changed except for the knowledge of
which component one was listening to.

I have no objection whatsoever to your "black box method". In fact I suspect
it would be superior to an ABX test because the listener's brain does not have
to switch gears to make a decision on whether an unknown sounds like A or B.
It is much closer to the way we perform relaxed observational listening to
different components.
snip

There is no reason -- NONE -- that an ABX protocol could not be used
with 'long term observational listening'. In any comparison protocol,
including sighted, eventually the listener's brain has to 'switch gears' to 'make
a decision': does A sound the same or different from B? There is no reason an
ABX cannot mimic your preferred method of listening, with only ONE condition altered:
that you do not know which component is playing, when you make that decision.

Agreed. However, a few other posters here seem to feel that ABX is THE only
answer.

NO ONE HERE has ever made that claim.

However, a few posters here seem to think that sighted perception
*hasn't* been demonstrated conclusively to be highly prone to error...
notwithstanding decades worth of evidence.

--
-S.

Steven Sullivan

Mkuller wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
True, a community of believers can impart within-group 'validity' to all
sorts of strange and objectively unsupported beliefs. That brand of
validation is only 'useful' to those who believe.

I suspect that's why the Audio Critic continues to be published.

Except, the Audio Critic seems willing to subject its claim to scientific
testing -- so your suspicion would appear to be unfounded.

From a scientific POV there's simply no need to 'prove' the efficacy of DBT;
your point #2 is jsut so much hand-waving, given that DBTs have long
been the *established standard* for validating audible difference. Any
major problems with DBT, as you conjecture for poitn #2, would have to
have been noticed by now, given *decades* of DBT use in psychoacoustic
science and in developnent of sound-producing and transmitting devices.

Ok, I think we can all agree that dbts are the *established standard* in
psychoacoustic science and research for *decades* now. So you never need to
say that again.

One can only hope.

OK, now from a scientific POV how do you get from the above fact to claiming
that ABX is the only way for average audiophiles to identify subtle audible
differences with audio components using music as a source - since you claim to
understand they dbts are used in completely different ways for completely
different things in clinical research.
snip

No one here has made that claim about ABX, least of all me.

So you need never offer up that strawman again, thanks.

And your claims about DBTs being used in 'completely different ways'
is belied by the facts that the AES publishes papers that involve DBTs,
and that audio manufacturers use DBTs. So someone MUST be making
that connection between academic research into audio perception,
and identification of differeences between engineered components.
It really isn't that big a leap, Mike.

If the emperor really has no clothes...what does it say about the courtiers?

Perhaps it says, "Stewart, I think we have a problem."

Stewart would surely be among those pointing and laughing at the emperor.
The courtiers would be *ever* so angry at him.

--
-S.

Bruce Abrams

"Mkuller" wrote in message
*snip*
Or are humans so biased that it is every single time, even listening to
speakers? How do you measure bias?

You don't measure bias. You eliminate it from the equation via blind
testing.

Let's say I have little or no biases - then I should be able to hear

subtle
audible differences sighted, right? And then if an ABX test prevents me

from
hearing the subtle differences, the test must be the problem. Right?

Please
give us an explaination.

Let's try this...there's a wonderful new anti-depression drug and it's being
tested. Everyone who is told what they're taking, and gets the drug reports
a dramatic improvement in their symptoms. That's it. No further studies
undertaken. Would you take such a medication? The FDA certainly wouldn't
approve it. Why? Because of the bias inherent in sighted tests. What if
the control group, who got a placebo, reported exactly the same results as
the folks getting the drug? You'd have to conclude that the drug was no
more effective than the placebo.

Translating to the audio world, without the willingness to agree that blind
testing is necessary, you have essentially agreed to take the drug which has
been proven to be no more effective than a placebo, because you have refused
to test it. You have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to show that audio
is any different from any other consumer product.

Bruce Abrams

"Mkuller" wrote in message
*snip*
Kindly explain what your objection would be to engaging in the exact same
"long term observational listening, with carefully matched levels at
switching", only "black boxing" the equipment under review, as I've
previously discussed. Nothing would be changed except for the knowledge

of
which component one was listening to.

I have no objection whatsoever to your "black box method". In fact I

suspect
it would be superior to an ABX test because the listener's brain does not

have
to switch gears to make a decision on whether an unknown sounds like A or

B.
It is much closer to the way we perform relaxed observational listening to
different components.
snip

If you have no objection to blind testing under my "black box method", it is
disingenuous to continue to espouse the notion that only sighted listening
can be the final arbiter as to the existence of "subtle audible
differences." Why do you suppose that such a method is not used, in fact
editorially demanded, by magazines? (Imagine the reaction to a wine taste
test where the wines all known in advance. It would have no credibility
whatsoever.) The answer can only be that if the possibility of imagined
audible differences and preferences is eliminated, and it is "discovered"
that there is no such thing as cable sound, and there are no audible
differences between "nominally competent" amplifiers, there would be nothing
to write about, nothing to advertise, and hence no money to be made.

Bruce
Stewart Pinkerton

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
Actually, doesn't the fact that he gets *paid* for writing purple
prose about audible difference, ring a few alarm bells concerning his
standpoint?.............

Always looking for a conspiracy or a sinister motive, eh Stewart. Do you think
trying to impeach me will make you look more credible?

My 'credibility' is posited on my postings. OTOH, you certainly don't
have any motivation for admitting that your MIT cables sound the same
as zipcord, now do you?

First, when I was "getting paid" for writing equipment reviews, (at least
someone thought enough of my opinions to pay me) I think the most I ever got
for a full review was $300 (2-3 months work). No one does it for the money.
After reviewing for 15 years, I gave it up in 1999 when I started my third new
business since there is a tremendous amount of time involved in doing careful,
thorough reviews (countless hours of listening to and switching equipment).

Had you really done 'careful and throrough reviews', you would not be
droning on about 'cable sound', because you would have discovered that
it does not exist.

So to be accurate you should say, "used to get *paid* for writing...
about...audible differences."

Fine, but you do appear to have carried over your determination that
'everything sounds different', even though you refuse to acknowledge
the proven effectiveness of DBTs in the audio industry.

Harry Lavo

"Bruce Abrams" wrote in message
"Mkuller" wrote in message
*snip*
[...]

I have given the black box idea a lot of thought, even before you brought it
up. I think it might be worthwhile for comparing two comparable amps of
similar size and weight, that is all. For example, tube amps would have to
be more vented, so tube amp vs solid state is impractical. And when you
have vents, then you most likely have the opportunity to look inside a bit,
so cover is blown. Even to keep the speaker hookups honest, you would have
to connect the amps to terminals on the box and from there to the speakers,
so simple boxes would not do. Finally, somebody would have to come into
your house and move the boxes so you couldn't guess at weight, and you'd
have to sign an oath to keep "hands off". So any test would have to be
extended over time, which brings up how do you rate? My conclusion: you
would ask indirect questions as well as direct each week, e.g. did you feel
like playing music much this week, when you did play music, were you able to
enjoy it, etc. ect. in addition to how do you rate the sound for: (you name
it). And then the "mood responses" would have to be averaged over time and
statistically analyzed.

Certainly a test for the average audiophile making a purchasing decision,
right?

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
(Mkuller) wrote

(Stewart Pinkerton)
[...]

You keep forgetting to add: "or that the test mechanism utilized does not do
a good job of allowing that(those) particular difference(s) to be heard. "
Which is another possibility. Just to be complete. Good science and all
that, whot? :-)