BladeRunner

Default Why are there no Bluetooth Car stereos yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't find any info.

I'm not talking about basic phone compatibility via bluetooth but that
should be included.

No what I want is an aftermarket highish capacity MP3 unit, (HDD
storage), with a dab tuner and 100 meter Bluetooth connection. It would
also need to be able to work in the background without setting off the
car alarms when the cars ignition is off, if receiving / sending data.

You could then simply Bluetooth music too and from your car / PC
seamlessly, (as long as it was within 100 meters).

It could also have auto mute on receiving or making calls from a
dedicated bluetooth phone that is in range, and allow the car speaker
system to be used by the phone via bluetooth.

It seems like such a useful way implement Bluetooth tech....... so is
anyone doing something like this?

--
BladeRunner

stopgo

"BladeRunner" wrote in message

[...]

That would be outstanding! In the meanwhile, have you considered an in-car
PC setup? I've seen some examples on the 'Net and most incorporate many of
the features you mentioned (most notable exception being interaction with
your mobile phone). I've even seen Wi-Fi examples which allow the owner to
download MP3's and video from their home PC or, even better, do so while
trolling for Wi-Fi hotspots. Add an LCD display, and you've got Nav and DVD
in the car, too.

stopgo

james w

Bluetooth has a nominal range of 30 feet. What you described sounds like a
great idea, but I don't think you'll find it implemented using the current
specification for Bluetooth. The device you describe is more likely to be
implemented with a combination of Bluetooth for the in-car phone features
and Wi-Fi for the data transfer functionality.

[...]

BladeRunner's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=1637
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=9137

BladeRunner

Ah sorry I wasn't aware there were any replies here, as I'd not had any
e-mails even though I have it set to send me one on new posts

I'm sure there are two Bluetooth standards one is 10 meter, (30 feet)
the other 100 meter but I could be wrong, you read so many things on
the net etc and its hard to keep tabs on what is here now and what is
proposed for the future.

I'd considered a PC in the car but PC's tend to be unstable enough in a
stable environment, let alone the hostile enviroment of a car, also the
booting / shutting down etc would get tedious.

while we are on the subject of making things easier, the music industry
could stop bleating about loosing money to illegal copying and actually
make it easier to buy tracks you like at a sensible price.

I often hear a track on the radio I like but gave up buying singles a
long time ago when the radio versions were often not included on the
single, (or even album sometimes). They can give me as many extended
remixes they like, but I want the exact version I hear played on the
radio, (sometimes called radio edit).

Often however the problem is remembering the track or artist's name, so
you have to search around for it. What they could do especially with
digital radio is include a silent code number with the signal of each
record played, that could be stored on the touch of a button. The car
stereo or any digital radio again with Bluetooth or similar function
could be set to automatically send this code to your dedicated PC so
when you get in your favourite music of the day is listed with details,
as hyperlinks that you can be simply clicked to purchase if you so
desire for a *REASONABLE FEE*, (two words the music industry still fail
to understand)......... or perhaps the real problem is I'm getting lazy
& cheap in my old age

--
BladeRunner

james w

This was taken from bluetooth.com ( http://www.bluetooth.com/util/faq5.asp)
HTH.

What are the differences between Wi-FiT (IEEE 802.11b) and the Bluetooth
wireless technology?

The Bluetooth wireless technology and Wi-Fi are complementary technologies.
The Bluetooth wireless technology is designed to replace cables between cell
phones, laptops, and other computing and communication devices within a
10-meter range. Wi-Fi is wireless Ethernet; it provides an extension or
replacement of wired networks for dozens of computing devices.

[...]

BladeRunner

Yeah on re-checking what I thought I'd seen, it appears the more common
Bluetooth devices are class 2 with a 10 meter range. However availble
class 1 devices are reported to have 100 meter range. My car at home
and work is probably no more than 10 to 15 meters away.........so the
idea could work, in theory at least.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/bt-dongles-xmicro/

--
BladeRunner