Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default HHB CDR-850 Transport Problem

I was looking at this CD recorder at a hamfest yesterday.
The price sticker on it was $20, but I noticed that the
input level pot was loose. I was going to offer the seller
$10 for it, but he beat me to it and said I could have it
for nothing because one channel was bad and he didn't like
to sell things that didn't work. So I took it hoping that
maybe the pot had come unsoldered from the board and it
would be a simple repair.

Nope. The pot could be easily tightened if I had a very thin
walled deep socket wrench (it's too deep for a Spintite) but
the real problem was with the transport, not the signal
path. Both analog and digital inputs and outputs work (I can
use it as an A/D or D/A converter) but it keeps sticking its
tongue out at me.

On occasion, the disk tray will stay in, and on even rarer
occasions, the disk will start spinning. Once or twice it
actually appeared to be playing a CD - the time display
increments, and I can switch tracks, but no audio comes out
and the meters don't display any audio. Most of the time,
though, when the tray doesn't eject on its own, it will fuss
around a while and display "Check Disk" which, according to
the manual, suggests a dirty disk.

Anyhow, I thought I'd take a closer look at the transport to
see if there was something sticking, and I'm stuck. There's
a flat ribbon cable connecting the transport and circuit
board with a connector type with which I'm not too familiar.
It looks like one of those that works like an edgeboard
connector, with the ends of the cable being the "edgeboard
pins." It doesn't appear to be a pin-in-socket type connector.

Here's a photo: http://i.imgur.com/euC8Ks.jpg

I'm reluctant to give a hearty yank on the ribbon without
being sure that it's supposed to pull out of the piece
mounted on the circuit board. If I take it out, I want to be
sure to be able to put it back.

I expect that the only real service that can be performed is
to replace the transport, and I really have no way, other
than substitution, of determining if the problem is actually
the transport (unless I find something mechanical when I get
it out) or in the control circuitry of the recorder. I
already have a still-working TASCAM CD recorder, so I don't
really need the HHB. I'm not going to put any money into
fixing it, but I'll put a little effort into trying to see
what's making it not tick before putting it on the ever
growing pile of electronics that doesn't work right but is
too complicated to fix.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

did you try cleaning the laser lense?

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/28/2011 11:40 AM, Mark wrote:
did you try cleaning the laser lense?

Of course. I also tried several disks, both commercial,
recorded CD-Rs, and blanks.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Mine suffered the dreaded purloined capacitor formula meltdown,
literally. It stopped working and I packed it into its box, but didn't
send it off for repair for a couple of months.

The caps had busted and oozed their guts all over the main, which had to
be replaced. Cost too much, but I couldn't see throwing away something
that was otherwise functional.

Had I sent it off immediately the board might have been salvageable.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
I expect that the only real service that can be performed is
to replace the transport, and I really have no way, other
than substitution, of determining if the problem is actually
the transport (unless I find something mechanical when I get
it out) or in the control circuitry of the recorder. I
already have a still-working TASCAM CD recorder, so I don't
really need the HHB. I'm not going to put any money into
fixing it, but I'll put a little effort into trying to see
what's making it not tick before putting it on the ever
growing pile of electronics that doesn't work right but is
too complicated to fix.

The transport is repairable on these, and all of the electronics are
repairable. There are actual manuals with full schematics and they will
show you what waveforms should look like at various points in the signal
path.

If you don't want to go it yourself, send it to Eddie Ciletti. He likes
working on that stuff.

Official repair depot for the US is www.nxtgentech.com. They are good folks
too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Official repair depot for the US is www.nxtgentech.com. They are good
folks too.

I second that emotion.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/28/2011 1:05 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The transport is repairable on these, and all of the electronics are
repairable. There are actual manuals with full schematics and they will
show you what waveforms should look like at various points in the signal
path.

Thanks, but I'm not putting a dime in cash into this because
I don't really need it. I thought it might be fun to play
with. If I don't get any further advice on the (probably)
connector I'll just see what comes apart when I pull it.

It doesn't look like there's much to repair on the
transport, but I might find something binding if I get a
better look at it. It seemed to work more consistently when
I pulled the transport off the chassis and propped it up. I
thought the tray might be hanging on the front panel, but
that didn't fix it.

It did, actually play a CD a time or two, and I guess this
is where the guy got the "one bad channel." One channel is
indeed dead and the other one is mostly that digital kind of
noise. Since I can get both analog and digital outputs from
both analog and digital inputs, I'm guessing that the
transport just isn't reading the disk correctly.

If you don't want to go it yourself, send it to Eddie Ciletti. He likes
working on that stuff.

He also likes to get paid what his time is really worth.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/28/2011 10:10 PM, Soundhaspriority wrote:

Typically, it's a bad laser.

I can believe that, but I'd like to find a test point or two
to confirm that. I guess I'll have to investigate the
possibility of getting some service documentation that
doesn't cost more than I'm willing to spend on this (which
is about a nickel).

Is it reasonable to believe that the problem is with the
transport itself? That the transport is deciding to eject a
disk without any prompting from the rest of the recorder?
Or that sometimes the motor that drives the disk doesn't
start when the disk appears to be properly positioned?

This transport is so plastic! - I had no idea that they
could make something that I assume needs to be pretty
mechanically robust with so little metal in it. It looks
like the little circuit board with the laser on it is easy
to replace, assuming a replacement is available, but I
wonder if it needs to be precisely aligned, or if the servo
takes care of that (assuming it's working). It would be nice
if I had access to a working transport to swap into it.

Incidentally, the connector that I asked about yesterday
turned out to be the kind of connector I thought it was. I
pulled one of those apart once before, that connected a
laptop computer screen to the motherboard. I just grabbed
the ribbon, gave it a good pull, and it came out. Went back
in, too.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 2/28/2011 11:40 AM, Mark wrote:
did you try cleaning the laser lense?

Of course. I also tried several disks, both commercial,
recorded CD-Rs, and blanks.

Typically, it's a bad laser.

Yes, there's something wrong in that area of the transport. If Mike lucked
out, its just stiff grease on the tracks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

On 2/28/2011 10:10 PM, Soundhaspriority wrote:

Typically, it's a bad laser.

I can believe that, but I'd like to find a test point or
two to confirm that. I guess I'll have to investigate the
possibility of getting some service documentation that
doesn't cost more than I'm willing to spend on this (which
is about a nickel).

Evaulating the condition of the laser takes a service manual and a 'scope.

You probe a test point, often called TP1 and screened on some circuit board,
and look at the "eye pattern" and compare it to the ampltiude and appearance
in the service manual. If it is too tiny, can't be improved, or is kinda
garbagy looking then the likely cause is the laser.

Also check the mechanics around the laser sled.

Is it reasonable to believe that the problem is with the
transport itself?

Based on the evidence presented so far, yes.

That the transport is deciding to eject
a disk without any prompting from the rest of the
recorder?

Based on the evidence presented so far, yes. Back in the day I scrapped my
CDP 101 for this reason, knowing that the actual cause was a congenital
failure of the chips that controlled the sled servos.

Or that sometimes the motor that drives the
disk doesn't start when the disk appears to be properly
positioned?

Could be, depending on the logic that the player uses to load up the disc.

This transport is so plastic! - I had no idea that they
could make something that I assume needs to be pretty
mechanically robust with so little metal in it.

Welcome to 2010!

It looks like the little circuit board with the laser on it is easy
to replace, assuming a replacement is available, but I
wonder if it needs to be precisely aligned, or if the
servo takes care of that (assuming it's working). It
would be nice if I had access to a working transport to
swap into it.

Transports are usually the smallest field replacable unit.

Incidentally, the connector that I asked about yesterday
turned out to be the kind of connector I thought it was. I
pulled one of those apart once before, that connected a
laptop computer screen to the motherboard. I just grabbed
the ribbon, gave it a good pull, and it came out. Went
back in, too.

Welcome to how sleezy good working connectors can seem in 2010.

FWIW our CDR at church is a HHB 830 which seems to be a defeatured 850. Its
holding strong but on its way out on the grounds of obsolescence. Once (if)
I wring the bugs out of my Ikey RM3 and maybe even if I don't, the HHB goes
away.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Klay_Anderson Klay_Anderson is offline

On Feb 28, 8:41*am, Mike Rivers wrote:

Anyhow, I thought I'd take a closer look at the transport to
see if there was something sticking, and I'm stuck. There's
a flat ribbon cable connecting the transport and circuit
board with a connector type with which I'm not too familiar.
It looks like one of those that works like an edgeboard
connector, with the ends of the cable being the "edgeboard
pins." It doesn't appear to be a pin-in-socket type connector.

Here's a photo: *http://i.imgur.com/euC8Ks.jpg

Don't give it a "hearty yank" but it will pull straight out and push
straight back in noting front and rear. There is a "stiffener" on the
end to assist in this. Very common connector. If the laser is close
to EOL, it will not read the disc and therefore "thinks" there is no
media in the tray. My diagnosis from afar says you need a new laser
assembly. But check all the caps as well. The HHb is a very well-
made unit.

Text "Klay" to 50500 for contact info

-.- .-.. .- -.-- / .- - / -.- .-.. .- -.-- / -.. --- - / -.-. --- --
Yours truly,

Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/28/2011 10:10 PM, Soundhaspriority wrote:

Typically, it's a bad laser.

I can believe that, but I'd like to find a test point or two
to confirm that. I guess I'll have to investigate the
possibility of getting some service documentation that
doesn't cost more than I'm willing to spend on this (which
is about a nickel).

A google search may turn it up.

Is it reasonable to believe that the problem is with the
transport itself? That the transport is deciding to eject a
disk without any prompting from the rest of the recorder?
Or that sometimes the motor that drives the disk doesn't
start when the disk appears to be properly positioned?

No, you have all symptoms of bad data coming off the disc. Why is it
bad? Put a scope on the test point on the board that gives you the
eye pattern and put the test CD on. Watch the eye pattern. If the signal
level there is really low, and pushing back and forth on the sled doesn't
help, it's apt to be the laser, pickup, focussing mechanism, or pickup amps.

If pushing back and forth on the sled causes it to jump up abruptly, it's
a positioning issue.

This transport is so plastic! - I had no idea that they
could make something that I assume needs to be pretty
mechanically robust with so little metal in it. It looks
like the little circuit board with the laser on it is easy
to replace, assuming a replacement is available, but I
wonder if it needs to be precisely aligned, or if the servo
takes care of that (assuming it's working). It would be nice
if I had access to a working transport to swap into it.

You basically replace the sled as is. The laser and photodiode are attached
to an optical element with a beamsplitter and mirror, and then there is a
lens with a servo on top. The photodiode has multiple outputs so that the
electronics can see that it's focussed and centered on the line of pits.

It is possible to replace the laser and photodiode without doing too much
alignment work; the servo-control of the lens deals with a lot of the
fiddly bit automatically. Still, these days most people replace the optical
block as a unit.

With the CD writer, the block is going to be a little different since it also
has the write laser in it as part of a different optical assembly, and that
may make it more worthwhile to change part of it.

The laser has an integral photodiode and some feedback electronics on the
board that set the laser current based on the measured brightness. You can
measure the voltages from the test points and compare them with the numbers
on the schematic and know if the laser is bad that way.

Incidentally, the connector that I asked about yesterday
turned out to be the kind of connector I thought it was. I
pulled one of those apart once before, that connected a
laptop computer screen to the motherboard. I just grabbed
the ribbon, gave it a good pull, and it came out. Went back
in, too.

Sam's Photofacts used to publish a great book on CD player repair back in
the eighties. These days most people don't bother repairing players but
it's still worth reading.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Sam's Photofacts used to publish a great book on CD player repair back in
the eighties. *These days most people don't bother repairing players but
it's still worth reading.

not the same Sam but still a good resource

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/1/2011 9:21 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

It is possible to replace the laser and photodiode without doing too much
alignment work; the servo-control of the lens deals with a lot of the
fiddly bit automatically. Still, these days most people replace the optical
block as a unit.

With the CD writer, the block is going to be a little different since it also
has the write laser in it as part of a different optical assembly, and that
may make it more worthwhile to change part of it.

It looks like the whole laser assembly is inside a block
that's attached to its circuit board with melted-down
plastic pillars. The only thing you can actually see is the
lens (which I've cleaned). It's all quite well protected so
it's unlikely that there's crud on the laser itself.
Probably the board is the lowest replaceable unit.

Sam's Photofacts used to publish a great book on CD player repair back in
the eighties. These days most people don't bother repairing players but
it's still worth reading.

I found a pretty decent web page on the basics of how they
work and how to troubleshoot:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm#cdwiasp I'd need a
manual, though, to identify the test points, and of course
when the disk isn't spinning (which is often what happens
when the drive loads) the eye patter isn't very informative.

Hard to tell about replacement parts, though. I've looked
all over the transport and I can't identify the
manufacturer. I assume HHB doesn't make it, but buys it from
somebody. There's not even a name on the circuit boards. I
suppose a note to HHB might be in order.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/1/2011 6:44 PM, Soundhaspriority wrote:

A first step would be to identify who made it. There were/are only a few
makers. A partial list: Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung... To confuse
things, add a few Chinese subcontractors

A reasonably well informed source told me that he thinks all
of these recorders were made by Pioneer, who I think also
makes drives. I'll see if I can find any pictures of Pioneer
CD-R drives that look like what's in here.

Klay? Do you know what's in the CDR-850??

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 2, 6:35*am, Mike Rivers wrote:

A reasonably well informed source told me that he thinks all
of these recorders were made by Pioneer, who I think also
makes drives. I'll see if I can find any pictures of Pioneer
CD-R drives that look like what's in here.

Klay? *Do you know what's in the CDR-850??

Yes, it is Pioneer OEM. Call and talk drives and fishing with

Dennis Cherney
814-383-4442

Probably the most knowledgeable HHb repair guy in the US.

Text "Klay" to 50500 for contact info

-.- .-.. .- -.-- / .- - / -.- .-.. .- -.-- / -.. --- - / -.-. --- --

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Klay? Do you know what's in the CDR-850??

Confirming: It is a pioneer with a HHB label, just as the similar Fostex.
I'd expect a pioneer repair shop, if exists, to be able to service it.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/5/2011 3:25 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:

Confirming: It is a pioneer with a HHB label, just as the similar Fostex.
I'd expect a pioneer repair shop, if exists, to be able to service it.

To follow up on this discussion, Sennheiser (the US
distributor for HHB) sent me a PDF service manual.

The tech support guy from Sennheiser said that my symptoms
suggested that the memory backup capacitor was leaking
(perhaps this was what Hank mentioned was the problem with
his). It's not an electrical leak that's the problem, it's
that the electrolyte leaks on to the circuit board and
causes some odd behavior. It was clean, however.

The diagnostics all point to a problem with the transport
which, even if it were available as a replacement part,
would cost more than I'm willing to put into this machine. I
made all the adjustments that I was able to make without
having a laser power meter. Pity, since the display shows
that there's only 60 hours on the laser. Either that's wrong
or the former owner must have been pretty frustrated with
the unit.

I guess it'll be a combination door stop and A/D-D/A converter.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fred[_13_] Fred[_13_] is offline

[...]

A laser power meter wouldn't likely be of any help - laser pickup
head failures not related to age are usually caused by the pickup
diodes, not the laser diode which is quite robust. I have one of
those meters (required to do warranty service for many mfgrs
in the '80s) but I almost never use it. The laser diode's power
supply is servo'd to keep the output constant over its lifetime.

Fred

I guess it'll be a combination door stop and A/D-D/A converter.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that
it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com - useful and interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/9/2011 11:56 PM, Fred wrote:

A laser power meter wouldn't likely be of any help - laser pickup
head failures not related to age are usually caused by the pickup
diodes, not the laser diode which is quite robust.

I only mentioned that because I was trying to go through the
full adjustment procedure in hopes that something that I
couldn't adjust would give me a clue as to what the problem is.

The diagnostics, as well as observing the operation, all
suggest a "loading error." What I don't know, and probably
won't, unless I can substitute a known good transport, is
whether the transport isn't properly doing what it's
supposed to do on its own, whether it's not doing it because
it's not being told the right thing by the controller, or if
it's doing the right thing and the controller board is
reading it incorrectly.

Perhaps NXT Gen's HHB expert will have a clue, or something
I can test or look at, but at the moment the CDR-850 has
been moved to a dark corner while I have something on the
bench that I actually need.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/9/2011 11:56 PM, Fred wrote:

A laser power meter wouldn't likely be of any help - laser pickup
head failures not related to age are usually caused by the pickup
diodes, not the laser diode which is quite robust.

I only mentioned that because I was trying to go through the
full adjustment procedure in hopes that something that I
couldn't adjust would give me a clue as to what the problem is.

The diagnostics, as well as observing the operation, all
suggest a "loading error." What I don't know, and probably
won't, unless I can substitute a known good transport, is
whether the transport isn't properly doing what it's
supposed to do on its own, whether it's not doing it because
it's not being told the right thing by the controller, or if
it's doing the right thing and the controller board is
reading it incorrectly.

Is the disc actually being loaded into proper position, being gripped by
the hub, and coming up to speed?

And did you lube the rails?

Perhaps NXT Gen's HHB expert will have a clue, or something
I can test or look at, but at the moment the CDR-850 has
been moved to a dark corner while I have something on the
bench that I actually need.

Ship it to him. Or ship it to me and I'll use it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/10/2011 9:23 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Is the disc actually being loaded into proper position, being gripped by
the hub, and coming up to speed?

Occasionally, but sometimes it loads but the motor doesn't
turn, and sometimes it just spits it back out.

And did you lube the rails?

I did, though they didn't feel like they needed it.

Or ship it to me and I'll use it.

As an A/D or D/A converter? I wonder how good it is at
that. I only tried to see if it worked (it did), I didn't
try it with a particularly good You can probably pick it up
next time you're up this way.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 3/10/2011 9:23 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Is the disc actually being loaded into proper position, being gripped by
the hub, and coming up to speed?

Occasionally, but sometimes it loads but the motor doesn't turn, and
sometimes it just spits it back out.

I had to have a small DV camera serviced because it was acting the way you
describe. Turned out to be the gear/pulley on the motor shaft was slipping,
the motor that moves the transport slide. Maybe?

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/10/2011 9:23 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Is the disc actually being loaded into proper position, being gripped by
the hub, and coming up to speed?

Occasionally, but sometimes it loads but the motor doesn't
turn, and sometimes it just spits it back out.

Put a scope on the motor. Lube the motor bearing. Motor issues are
definitely a possibility here. If it's not spinning the disc up, there
is an issue... it can't find the TOC until it spins it.

Or ship it to me and I'll use it.

As an A/D or D/A converter? I wonder how good it is at
that. I only tried to see if it worked (it did), I didn't
try it with a particularly good You can probably pick it up
next time you're up this way.

No, I'll fix it. Although if it's anything like my CDB800, the converters
are probably okay but not amazing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/10/2011 7:40 PM, Steve King wrote:

I had to have a small DV camera serviced because it was acting the way you
describe. Turned out to be the gear/pulley on the motor shaft was slipping,
the motor that moves the transport slide. Maybe?

This one appears to be completely sound mechanically.
There's a mechanical limit switch that I thought might be
flaky, but I've eliminated that as a cause. Perhaps there's
a sensor that I was unable to find (or check). I'm not an
expert on CD drives by any means. The mechanical part is
pretty straightforward, but there's a surprising amount of
undocumented electronics in the assembly. On a rare occasion
that it actually played a disk, I was able to see evidence
that the laser was focusing properly, but the audio is still
screwed up - there's output on only one channel and it's
mostly noise (what many people call "diginoise") and almost
no music.

So it could be a problem with the transport, or with the big
circuit board that the transport connects to.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff