Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken Winokur Ken Winokur is offline

Default Budget pre's - Sytek, RME, older Hill?

Sorry, somehow the post got sent before it was finished.

I'm getting ready to move my studio and am considering getting rid of
my Soundcraft Ghost 32 channel. It's getting very funky as is the
massive patchbay and cabling. Also I would like to reclaim the space
it it takes - the new control room will be on the small side.

So I would be moving to a selection of better quality mic pre's, with
a small board
to monitor some analogue sources.

I typically record about 16 channels simultaneously into my two RME
Fireface 800's. So, I would like to have 18 or 20 pres total. The
RMEs have 8 built in.

So the question is, can you compare the RME's (there are 4 channel
Quadmic for about $550), Sytek (MPX-4a - 4 channels available used
for about $650), and an older Hill Multimix board (16 channels for
$300 - 400).

I have found that the RME's sound somewhat better than my Soundcraft -
more neutral, less midrangey. But not that dramatic a difference.

I used to use the Hill (20 years ago) and always found the mic pre's
to be really great. Hard to compare at this distant time though.

Eventually I'll add a few really top end mic pre's, but for the time
being, I'll settle for these mid level alternatives.

I do soundtrack music (for silent films), and generally think that the
transparent mic pre's are more suited to our music than the more
colored ones. Although I'm sure having some colored options will be
useful in the future.

Thanks,

Ken Winokur
Alloy Orchestra
alloyorchestra.com

FS Sytek Pre noizboyz Pro Audio 0 March 24th 09 02:39 AM
Hill Multimix [email protected] Pro Audio 11 December 14th 05 05:31 PM
Anyone got a sytek? Nate Najar Pro Audio 12 October 29th 05 11:17 PM
FA: Sytek Mic Pre Chris T. Young Pro Audio 0 August 11th 03 05:32 AM
FS: Sytek MPX-4A matt ascione Pro Audio 0 July 31st 03 07:12 PM