Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

Default Db25 to XLR Digi 192K Interface Cable Pin 2 or 3 hot?

I have 2 standard XLR breakout cables with male DB-25's that plug into
Digidesign 192K interfaces. My question: are these cables pin 2 or pin 3
hot? (My studio had both, as I had an Otari 24 track.)

I am not clear what the numbering system is for the male db25 on the
cable. So lets say the top row is the one with the 13 male pins, the
bottom 12.

Pin 1 of the XLR of input and output of channel 1 goes to bottom row,
the pin all the way to the right.

Pin 2 of channel 1 goes to the bottom row, the 2nd from the right.

Pin 3 of channel 1 goes to the top row, the 2nd from the right.

Is the cable pin 2 or pin 3 hot?

Thanks.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

david correia wrote:
I have 2 standard XLR breakout cables with male DB-25's that plug into
Digidesign 192K interfaces. My question: are these cables pin 2 or
pin 3 hot? (My studio had both, as I had an Otari 24 track.)

I am not clear what the numbering system is for the male db25 on the
cable. So lets say the top row is the one with the 13 male pins, the
bottom 12.

Pin 1 of the XLR of input and output of channel 1 goes to bottom row,
the pin all the way to the right.

Pin 2 of channel 1 goes to the bottom row, the 2nd from the right.

Pin 3 of channel 1 goes to the top row, the 2nd from the right.

Is the cable pin 2 or pin 3 hot?

If it's anything other than 2-Hot, and not emblazoned somewhere in BIG
LETTERS, then they should be shot !

(Sorry, I don't actually know....)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/27/2011 10:46 PM, david correia wrote:
I have 2 standard XLR breakout cables with male DB-25's that plug into
Digidesign 192K interfaces. My question: are these cables pin 2 or pin 3
hot? (My studio had both, as I had an Otari 24 track.)

When it comes to AES/EBU, there's no concern for "Pin (n)
hot." The way the data works, inverting the polarity of the
data stream does not invert the polarity of the audio. Since
AES/EBU is supposed to be (and generally is)
transformer coupled, there's no concern with which pin is
closer to ground.

There are a few different wiring standards for 8-pair D-sub
digital cables. You prompted me to dig up a list of the
various pinouts that I compiled a while back and posted it
on my web page:

http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...ke_pinouts.pdf

I am not clear what the numbering system is for the male db25 on the
cable. So lets say the top row is the one with the 13 male pins, the
bottom 12.

When looking at the outside (pins), Pin 1-13 is the top row,
14-25 is the bottom row. Most connectors, if you look
closely enough, have the pin numbers molded into the pin block.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...ake_pinouts.pd

I am not clear what the numbering system is for the male db25 on the
cable. So lets say the top row is the one with the 13 male pins, the
bottom 12.

When looking at the outside (pins), Pin 1-13 is the top row,
14-25 is the bottom row. Most connectors, if you look
closely enough, have the pin numbers molded into the pin block.

Thanks for the suggestion to look closely, as one of the connectors did
have nearly invisible numbers.

Pin 2 of channel 1's XLR goes to 24. Which makes it pin 2 hot. (Pin 1
goes to 25, Pin 3 goes to 12. These were 8 channel analog audio cables.)

What made me unsure was that the diagrams I found on the net were for
the gear's outputs, and not for the cable, which reverses the order.

I was pretty sure these guys were pin 2 hot, as I had my tech resolder
the pin 3 hot ones last summer, but I wanted to be thorough. Cuz ya
never know.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Francois Barvec Francois Barvec is offline

hello,

maybe, this link coul be useful:
http://francois.barvec.free.fr/aes/s...subd25_XLR.pdf

I have collected some Sub_D25-XLR pinout standards: Tascam/Digidesign,
Merging, Yamaha
& Euphonix

best regards

François