Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill from Prague Bill from Prague is offline

Default HDMI audio capture/ separator card?

The recent post about audio separation of Blu-ray has me interested in the
process also. I too would like to separate the audio into the 8 separate
channels in the most lossless way possible. Currently, I do this with a
Samsung Blu-ray player that has the built in decoder, but the output is
analog and then we have to go from A to D when capturing into the PC. I
suspect this is somewhat lossy and also depends on converter quality.

There doesn't seem to be a program that will do it which I wonder about
since one could separate DVD into separate audio channels with such a
program, so now I'm looking at a diffferent approach: separation of audio
channels from HDMI. Is there an audio card I could install of decent
quality that would allow me to separate and capture the 8 audio channels via
the HDMI cable of the Blu ray player? I would prefer to be able to save
each channel as a wav file if possible. Is there any advantage to doing
this over using my current system (would it be less lossy, is AD-DA
conversion involved, etc)?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
N N is offline

On Feb 10, 9:40*am, "Bill from Prague" wrote:
[...]

I think Ensemble might make a DE-mux that take HDMI input. Generally
HDMI is a consumer format, what you'll want is an HD-SDI input that
will output all 4 channels of AES and Demuxed video. Ensemble,
Mirranda, Evertz, and Grass Valley all make this box. I think the
Ensemble Bright Eye is the cheapest way to go.

Why wouldn't you just import the whole Blu-Ray file then strip the
audio from it? There must be a program that does that.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

N wrote:
On Feb 10, 9:40 am, "Bill from Prague" wrote:

Part of the HDMI compliance and legal crap is for the express purpose of
preventing people from getting access to those streams.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

Part of the HDMI compliance and legal crap is for the express
purpose of preventing people from getting access to those streams.

And it is great fun when a projector in a small lecture hall cuts out
because the hdmi-source thinks the projector may be doing something that
infringes copyright because of the cable length. It is also great fun -
laughing all the way to the bank - for those that make the compensation box
to put on the projector end of the cabling to prevent it from happening.

Kinda like the ploy of changing the user interface so as to keep the
it-support staff busy and necessary, that however is something I am a
perfectly happy microserf with ... O;-)

geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
N N is offline

On Feb 20, 4:27*am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
geoff wrote:
Part of the HDMI compliance *and legal crap is for the express
purpose of preventing people from getting access to those streams.

And it is great fun when a projector in a small lecture hall cuts out
because the hdmi-source thinks the projector may be doing something that
infringes copyright because of the cable length. It is also great fun -
laughing all the way to the bank - for those that make the compensation box
to put on the projector end of the cabling to prevent it from happening.

Kinda like the ploy of changing the user interface so as to keep the
it-support staff busy and necessary, that however is something I am a
perfectly happy microserf with ... O;-)

geoff

* Kind regards

* Peter Larsen

ah yes, HDCP handshake nightmare.

It's fun when you buy Geffen extender boxes for an IPTV system .. err
a nightmare i had a couple of years back.

There are programs out there that will strip blu-ray discs, as long as
they aren't protected. All that XD-Cam stuff records to Blu-ray, there
should be something out there that will deal with it in post.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

geoff wrote:
[...]

I used to have a scanner-printer that refused to copy and print mucis
scores. I found out that if I put something else in for the pre scan, and
then switched to the music score for the final scan, I could get it to copy
and print the music. When manufacrurers take it upon themselves to police
me, It makes me angry, and I will go to great lengths to override them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 10/02/2011 15.40, Bill from Prague ha scritto:
[...]

take a look to the "De-embedders"
Kramer electronics make the FC-46, but there are a lot of better brands
out there.

With this you can "demux" the audio in SPDIF format then acquire it with
most digital soundcards.

alex