Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default The New BMW

The New BMW

Our nation was founded on values twinning personal initiative with
mutual co-operation. From the Plymouth Colony to Andrew Jackson's
Reforms, to the Homestead Act to the New Deal, Americans have known
that we all are better off when we recognize basic standards of social
justice. But thanks to globalism, dog-eat-dog economics has resulted
in offshoring, outsourcing, the destruction of unions, and the gutting
of the US economy. We advocate economic nationalism, which places the
economy at the service of the nation; we believe that the welfare of
our people should supercede all other things, including the ability of
multinational corporations to exploit or ignore our people for
unbridled profits. Source

by Joe Kirkpatrick

" "The paid off mortgage is replacing the new BMW as the status symbol in America" - Dave Ramsey.

When I look around at the spending habits of most Americans, I am some
times tempted to just scream "Stop this insanity!"

I had some renters this past year in one of my houses that were really
good people. They both had jobs that probably paid $35K to $40K a
year, and they kept the house I rented to them close to spotless.
However, they had car payments on two late model cars, and as in most
families today, he was paying child support for a son he had in his
first marriage.

Their rent check was late almost every month, and then the company she
worked for closed due to the economy, their finances went down hill
from there. I worked with them on reducing the rent to help get them
by, but then his company shut down and they were forced to move in
with relatives in another state. They both had cell phones, 2 flat
screen LCD TV's, 2 late model cars, and they dressed nicely. The only
thing wrong is they were living with no savings, which essentially
left them two or three paydays away from being destitute.

This is not just a low or middle class problem. Pick up your local
paper on any given day and look at the foreclosure notices. Very few
are for houses in lower income neighborhoods, a lot are in middle and
upper middle income areas, but then quite a few are in what are
considered to be in upper income areas. A lot of times we would not
think people from these different groups would have anything in
common, yet they do share one glaring trait: They spent more money
than they make.

Most families of four can save $400 a month by eating cheap meals at
home instead of eating out. Leave off the expensive steaks and use
turkey and various Hamburger Helper type mixes to help stretch your
budget. You can further lower your grocery bill by learning how to use
coupons effectively. Two local women teach "couponing classes" at
local churches.

Also, their website, funandfrugal.com, offers a lot of great money
saving information, as well as local coupons. Sell or let one of the
cars go back, and you just saved another $400 - $500 a month.

Buy a $1000 clunker with cheap liability insurance, and after the
first month, with no car payment and eating cheap, you now have $900
more take home income than you did before. Do not blow it - use that
extra $900 to pay on your bills. The next step is a big one: Cut up
all of your credit cards.

If you are not behind on your bills but are just barely making it, use
that extra money to pay down the credit card you owe the least amount
on. Make minimum payments on the others until it is paid off. Then,
attack the one with the next highest balance in the same manner.

Warning: If you are already in a bad situation and are using your
credit cards to "help," you are only making the inevitable that much
worse.

Even if you are not in a financial mess and are still living the
lifestyle of the "rich and famous," I ask you this: If you were to
lose your job today, how long could you keep up your present
lifestyle?

If the answer is not six months or more, you too need to start cutting
back - in our present economy, nobody's job is 100 percent safe.

You can probably name dozens of people who drive a BMW, Cadillac,
Lexus, or other luxury cars. You can probably name dozens of people
who live in a big fancy house. But I leave you with the following
question: How many people can you name who own their house debt free?"

http://www.wvwnews.net/story.php?id=7638
cartecredit1212 cartecredit1212 is offline
Junior Member

the new bmw thus rocks..